Need to lease an apartment for a friend

My friend wants me to book an apartment for him when i touchdown in thailand and sign a lease agreement under his name (if that is legal) before he arrives to Thailand, is this possible? ....Obviously i would show my credentials and all, but is it possible to put his name for the lease instead of mine? He will send me his passport so i can print it out for the agent as well.

I'm very inexperienced at renting apartments, so any information is greatly appreciated

cheers!

Not sure about that, but I'd say that signing a lease under someone else's name, even if it's with his consent, is hardly legal. This is Thailand tho so might not be an issue here .

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It is unfair to you for him to have you make a selection.  What does he like ?   Which area?  .... and the list goes one and on.  

Plus, if he doesn't like it, YOU will be the one on the hook for the deposit and any missed payments for the duration of the lease.

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If you have a properly drawn up power of attorney it would be completely legal.

thats what the agent recommended, so ill have to go about doing that. I'm just being a friend to him, he likes a certain apartment, and won't arrive for 2 weeks after when i arrive. Doesnt want to lose the booking, and doesnt know anyone else to help him besides me = )

/closed 

cheers!

20 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

That is crazy.  Seems there is more to the story..........

Why? When i first came to live full time in thailand i didnt want to stay in a hotel again not even for a night. A friend who already lived here with my passport details and a letter signed by me stating he was my rep in Thailand found a Condo for me got all the lease ect sorted out he signed for me pp my name no problems whatsoever.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Why? When i first came to live full time in thailand i didnt want to stay in a hotel again not even for a night. A friend who already lived here with my passport details and a letter signed by me stating he was my rep in Thailand found a Condo for me got all the lease ect sorted out he signed for me pp my name no problems whatsoever.

What's there to stop getting a copy of fake or stolen passport from a 'friend' with your face being identified by agent/owner as the person who actually contacted and signed the documents?

And then the premise leased was later found to be a terrorist hideout? Already happened...

20 minutes ago, trogers said:

What's there to stop getting a copy of fake or stolen passport from a 'friend' with your face being identified by agent/owner as the person who actually contacted and signed the documents?

And then the premise leased was later found to be a terrorist hideout? Already happened...

Well as im no terrorist i wouldnt know i was mearly saying i had no.problems once i arrived in Thailand i met the landlord and counter signed the lease.

Archived