French expat loses control of pick up in Kata injuring five

rooster59

French expat loses control of pick up in Kata injuring five 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1495275892_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A French man lost control of his fully loaded pick up truck in Kata and slammed into a taxi stand injuring himself and four others.

At 11:20 am today (May 20) Karon Police received a report of an accident in front of the Family Mart near the intersection of Khok Tanod Rd and Kata Sai-Yuan Rd in Kata (the start of the road to Rawai.)

Capt Channarong Prakongkua of Karon Police together with Karon and Rawai rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a silver Nissan pick up truck that had collided with a 1.5 metre high cement barrier as well as hitting chairs and umbrellas from a taxi stand. Items in the tray of the pick up truck had been scattered across the scene.

Five people were injured in the accident, two of them were taxi drivers who were unable to escape the path of the pick up truck, one suffered a broken the arm and the other a broken leg. There were taken to Patong Hospital. Two other people suffered minor injuries.

The pick up driver was named by police as French national Mr Bouvy Christain, 64. Mr Christain was stuch in the cabin of the mangles pick up.

Rescue workers took 15 minute to free him with a hydraulic cutter. He sustained minor injures to his knee and arm. He was taken to Karon Police Station.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/french-expat-loses-control-of-pick-up-in-kata-injuring-five-62233.php#bzIvM3lpHCiEjGvo.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-21

Those of us who know that intersection are very aware of how steep that hill is and that it ends at a T junction. Every time I go through there I wonder why anyone would want a business in the danger zone at the bottom. In the attached pic the turquoise tiles in the resort on the left are quite new. A truck lost his brakes descending the hill and decided it was better to left turn into a brick wall at the hotel rather than go all the way. (I think he was given an award of some sort)

666.JPG

And I certainly can't comprehend why anyone, even a bunch of pretend taxi drivers would want to just sit around in that area all day. The inevitable happened, they wore a pickup in their laps, and were lucky to get away with a just few broken bones.

777.JPG

had collided with a 1.5 metre high cement barrier

Higher and thicker next time.

Steel enforced :sleep:

Fully loaded, steep descent, 64 yr old, French (lowlander?),

Many reasons possible.

64 yr old is not an explanation per se. except he had major health issues.

I hope I will still be fit to drive in four years.

Maybe just bad driving, not shifting down, overheated breaks...

2 hours ago, USPatriot said:

Just another old guy that shouldn't be driving and probably isn't allowed to drive in his home country.

Like my neighbor 3 accidents in 2 months.

So, without any evidence, you are saying that it was the fact that the driver was 64 years of age that was to blame for this accident?

I guess you are a young guy who thinks that 64 is so very old?  If and when you reach the grand old age of 64, and still active in good health, you will be willing to surrender your driving licence voluntarily and lose your mobility and ability to go shopping etc , particularly if you are living on your own?

Your neighbour is just one special case and yet you want all those over 64 to be banned from driving?  What else do you want them banned for?

On 5/21/2017 at 1:46 AM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

So, without any evidence, you are saying that it was the fact that the driver was 64 years of age that was to blame for this accident?

I guess you are a young guy who thinks that 64 is so very old?  If and when you reach the grand old age of 64, and still active in good health, you will be willing to surrender your driving licence voluntarily and lose your mobility and ability to go shopping etc , particularly if you are living on your own?

Your neighbour is just one special case and yet you want all those over 64 to be banned from driving?  What else do you want them banned for?

I see old people with walkers driving yup can't walk but I can drive. 64 is old for some plenty if older people should not be driving. 

9 hours ago, USPatriot said:

Not for my neighbor.

Mate i had a 75 year old neighbor that would have been able to kick most 30 year olds asses and regularly went on 4 x 4 road trips with no drama at all. People seem to age at different rates, i've seen some people in their 50's who looked like they were ready for the retirement village. I put it down to whether people are active and fit, the bloke i speak about above was always exercising or knocking out projects around his house. 

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Mate i had a 75 year old neighbor that would have been able to kick most 30 year olds asses and regularly went on 4 x 4 road trips with no drama at all. People seem to age at different rates, i've seen some people in their 50's who looked like they were ready for the retirement village. I put it down to whether people are active and fit, the bloke i speak about above was always exercising or knocking out projects around his house. 

Its not all but wesuredontneed to look very hard to find them

Where I come from in Australia, older drivers have to undergo yearly medical checks to ensure they remain fit to drive.

These checks don't start until the driver is 80 years old!  Accident statistics there show that senior drivers are among the safest on the roads.

I think there should be some sort of mental checkup for many younger people before they're allowed to pilot several tons of metal at speed on the highways.

Archived