Resignation

On 5/25/2017 at 10:13 PM, Hereinthailand said:

No such thing as a legal contract here for falangs, its only good for the school when they dont need/want you anymore. If you want to get paid, wait until the money is in your account then leave. I used to believe it was unfair to run out on an employer leaving them to find another teacher but after seeing so much dirty underhanded crap from schools here dished out to falang teachers over the years I say screw em they can find another sucker to take their underpaid overworked job.

I would not wholly disagree, but suspect that this is largely a product of who has been willing to employ you and on what terms.

To do the job well, you will be totally overworked. All teachers everywhere are overworked. Dig in, learn something, teach something and move on.

The trouble here is this is clearly a job for you - money, visa. So, you've weighed it all up and you're unhappy. Please, for the the kids sake, stop working.

Agencies are pretty regrettable but personalities aside, Ive been treated fairly well by schools that Ive been directly hired by. My new school is very professional in every respect, but it is admittedly exceptional.

What does a shit ton of hard thankless work and some big balls get you? Respect and 15% yoy pay increases. I'm making 50% more money than I did when I started three years ago.

Go big or go home

13 hours ago, somchaismith said:

Really?

In the schools that I have been affiliated with, schools don't take out taxes until the Work Permit is processed.   How would they list you as an employee until you are legal.  

I also know of teachers who are illegally employed on a non-O visa.   They also do not have taxes deducted from their pay.  

Collect the salary first?

AFAIK, regarding the WP, you should be in the system, having taken the first steps. That requires help from the school. 

Fingerprinting. B-Visa, ... Nothing, nada? => They want you to do a Visa run? Not good!

Have you collected your salary? Now you can go ahead and tell them (corroboration might help as many lie about such matters)

On 5/27/2017 at 5:27 AM, ozmeldo said:

Most if the usual suspects here should know better.

Yes, the op is technically illegal, so is virtually every teacher in Thailand when they start a (new) job. I see no indication that the school has acted inappropriately and therefore my advice would be as Sheryl's and that is, look to the contract. Given its the first month I'd bail.

Will you be paid? Doubtfully.

So should you just bolt? If the working conditions make the place largely unbearable, perhaps. The school has done little at this juncture, I'd not worry especially if you're leaving due to conditions. They know the drill. Don't ask accommodation for leave unless its an exceptional jib. Most schools do not make exceptions, they will consider you gone. A weeks notice in this case is ok imo, we are at month's end anyway.

....especially with one week to go on the contract....

On 5/28/2017 at 1:00 AM, Scott said:

In the schools that I have been affiliated with, schools don't take out taxes until the Work Permit is processed.   How would they list you as an employee until you are legal.  

I also know of teachers who are illegally employed on a non-O visa.   They also do not have taxes deducted from their pay.  

Yes, BUT... the school may come back at years end and take 15% of your pay. This appears to be what might happen at my new school. 

On 5/28/2017 at 1:00 AM, Scott said:

Do you mean they have a Non-O, but are illegally employed because they don't have a work permit ?

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

Yes, BUT... the school may come back at years end and take 15% of your pay. This appears to be what might happen at my new school. 

In which case, you would find out when you filed your taxes.   Most teachers get a refund.  

Archived