Front load to reduce calorie intake

JSixpack

I have read similar things about this from other sources, seems to be valid. Also high protein is supposedly much better than high carb, people who eat higher protein and exercise can hold on to muscle much better they went up to 1 to to 2 grams per kg of body-weight and saw quite nice results. But this only showed clear if just weight loss was not the object.. but fat loss.. because lost muscle counts also towards lost weight. 

I am a little skeptical of 'breakfast skippers.'  I worked in dozens of office settings over my 30 years and there were lots of people that claimed to be breakfast skippers.   You could tell them by the snack bars, donuts, and drive thru mcdonald's bags on their desk at about 10:30 am.  The question for researchers should be "Do you avoid consuming all food and drink with calories until noon or 1 pm?"   That would rule out about 90% of the people I have met that say they are breakfast skippers.   

In the past 12 months I have lost around 15 Kilo or 33-35 US lbs.  I tried a little of every type of diet and got the best results doing Intermittent Fasting.   I found it easy to skip breakfast.  Many people who try IF find breakfast the best chance to meal skip as they admit they don't feel hunger because the body is already in a fasting state upon waking.

I was under the impression as is the promoter of this study that Oats were a wonderful breakfast food.  If you look on the glycemic index and load charts oats score slightly above table sugar.  Terrible food if you are trying to diet.  They spike insulin.  I in fact believe breakfast oatmeal may have been one of the biggest factors in my weight gain the last few years.  I used to eat oatmeal in the morning and then go thru terrible hunger until lunch time.  BTW, there is a huge GI and GL difference between oatmeal and steel cut oats which are a true low GI and GL food. 

Overall I did IF and paid close attention to GI and GL to keep from getting an insulin spike and undoing my good work.   IF advisors also tell you to plan the meal that you will have after fasting.  You should plan the time, the food, and the amount carefully to break the fast comfortably.   The scenario presented in the article is the worst possible one.  No plan for lunch? Eat far too little!  Have a snack at 2?  This is not IF!    Lots of awful food around the house?  Not a good idea regardless of your diet plan choice.

I did run across some research that said skipping dinner was better because 50% of your insulin load is released in the dinner hours.   My problem was that without dinner I could not go to sleep.  Lack of sleep is a real killer on a diet and exercise program.

So to each his own.  If breakfast and oatmeal work for you fine.  I will just have a few black coffees and be on my way.  :) 

I hear what dontoearth is saying and we all have to do what's best for ourselves.

However the Pritikin Longevity Center has been promoting cooked oatmeal for breakfast to their patients for well over forty years as one of the recommended foods for weight loss.  

I've read a couple of books by Barbara Rolls mentioned in the article regarding her Volumetrics way of eating.  She's a qualified food researcher and has done actual studies on calorie density so she knows what she's talking about.

The nutrition expert who invented the GI (glycemic index) was Dr. David Jenkins.  He recommends oats as being part of a healthy diet.

I always eat a bowl of steel cut porridge oats every morning.  My favourite meal of the day.

5 hours ago, Taggart said:

I hear what dontoearth is saying and we all have to do what's best for ourselves.

However the Pritikin Longevity Center has been promoting cooked oatmeal for breakfast to their patients for well over forty years as one of the recommended foods for weight loss.  

I've read a couple of books by Barbara Rolls mentioned in the article regarding her Volumetrics way of eating.  She's a qualified food researcher and has done actual studies on calorie density so she knows what she's talking about.

The nutrition expert who invented the GI (glycemic index) was Dr. David Jenkins.  He recommends oats as being part of a healthy diet.

I always eat a bowl of steel cut porridge oats every morning.  My favourite meal of the day.

Steel cut oats are quite different in GI and GL than rolled oats.  I believe the ratings  for steel cut oats are only 25 of 100 on GL index.   The rating on rolled oats is around 83 slightly higher than table sugar.  I never heard of Barbara Rolls.  I know Pritkin is a stickler for no fat.  Once you remove a macronutrient from your diet plan you do get successful weight loss and that weight loss will be very good for most health markers like blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar etc.  Unfortunately, as I put on lots of weight in the last few years of my work life I was eating rolled oats not steel cut.  I wish I had known about GI and GL difference at that time and had known how much it would effect my weight.  

Again some people are not affected by this which makes the one size fits all or the try this NOW crowd difficult to deal with in the quest for better overall health and weight loss.

In general I saw all of the breakfast ideas from Barbara Rolls as having a high GL component which I now avoid like the plague.  The GI and GL might not bother other people at all.  And we have no way to telling other than trying the plan.  

Ultimately,  you have to try a diet plan to see its effects on your body.  I am sure her plans would not work for my body.  I will continue my IF (Intermittent fasting). 

7 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Steel cut oats are quite different in GI and GL than rolled oats.  I believe the ratings  for steel cut oats are only 25 of 100 on GL index.   The rating on rolled oats is around 83 slightly higher than table sugar.  I never heard of Barbara Rolls.  I know Pritkin is a stickler for no fat.  Once you remove a macronutrient from your diet plan you do get successful weight loss and that weight loss will be very good for most health markers like blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar etc.  Unfortunately, as I put on lots of weight in the last few years of my work life I was eating rolled oats not steel cut.  I wish I had known about GI and GL difference at that time and had known how much it would effect my weight.  

Again some people are not affected by this which makes the one size fits all or the try this NOW crowd difficult to deal with in the quest for better overall health and weight loss.

In general I saw all of the breakfast ideas from Barbara Rolls as having a high GL component which I now avoid like the plague.  The GI and GL might not bother other people at all.  And we have no way to telling other than trying the plan.  

Ultimately,  you have to try a diet plan to see its effects on your body.  I am sure her plans would not work for my body.  I will continue my IF (Intermittent fasting). 

+1 You have to do what your body tells you is right for you, and ignore the rest.

• 1 month later...

Best diet is intermittent fasting.  Choosing an eating window of 6-8 hours a day and not eating the rest of the day helps the body to fully digest food and raises all kinds of hormone in your body that promote HGH etc.  Look it up.  It works magic, especially if you combine it with keto.  difficult the first week or so and then it becomes second nature and is easy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 3:20 PM, Taggart said:

+1 You have to do what your body tells you is right for you, and ignore the rest.

The problem with that suggestion is that most people don't have good communication with their bodies and their bodies lead them astray.

LOL> I often have to refuse to do what my body wants to do.

Archived