Where was/am I?... Chiang Rai for newbie

smo

Just spent three days in Chiang Rai with my group of Thai friends. We stayed in town at friends house in a lovely jungle like closure just off the main(?) street. The morning before we left for the airport to go back to BKK I asked the host couple if there is any housing nearby, they took me to one HB residence about 50 yards from their house and there the manager told me there might be one room to be vacant next month. When we got back to the house she called and said yes, it will be and would I like to put down a small deposit. I said yes and gave the bank note to my host to give to them later.

My impression of CR is I like it! Friends took me to the White Temple and Singha Park both bore me to tears. The last day they took me to the thai-Myanmar border market which also bore me to tears (except I had no tears left to shed at this point.) On the way to these grand destinations we passed  numerous signs to this waterfall that hot spring which to my friends were as exciting ( or maybe less) as the next pit stop. However we did visit a relaxing after-harvest lychee farm and a delightful afternoon open market in Mae Chan and I was telling to myself, patience, patience, we will be seeing more of this in the future. Yeah, we can make it happen!

This morning before I booked the plane ticket to go back to CR I called and confirmed with the manager (husband this time, who spoke some English) He said yes they would have the room cleaned awaiting me on the 1st of June. The total I will have to shell out upon taking the room =One month rent+ one month deposit- minus the  reservation deposit I had  given earlier.

Here are a few info I would like to ask from TV member ChiangRai residence if you could take the time to answer I would be very thankful:

a) where in town was/am I? Below are some pics of the surroundings. pics 1+2+3)the driveway leading to the house from the main street.
4+5)The school across the street from our driveway.6)standing at the house entrance gate facing the street, looking to the left is this 3 way intersection and a supposedly famous wat at the opposite corner 7) looking to the right is the school and going further in the direction of HB residence my new home a few houses down the street. If you continue on in this direction the street will get more busy and turning right at the next big intersection (on the way to the airport) will be a street full of restaurants eateries coffee shops and what not and this I figure will be my new neighborhood hangouts.

b    )I learned that there are 5 universities/colleges in town? A friend connection works in one that is specialized in education, but that lady didn't seem to warm up too much to my further inquiries. What I would like to know is which learning institutions offer courses in Thai language learning (such as the Phayap University in CM)? Not to get a degree necessarily, but simply learn to speak read and write.

c) Hopefully he local Thai hosts will be my first and foremost guide to settling down in CR (right now I'm thinking of just coming up from BKK for some breath of fresh air once or twice a month, thus my renting a room long term). But eventually I would need to break out on my own. I was told that taxis are the only public transportation in town, songthaews would take you out of town, so what else is there for one to get around (I don't want to drive neither 4 or 2-wheel) except on foot? I think I will have to spend sometime at BigC, Central and the like to get a feel of local farang life. I think we passed a BigC quite often when going around for various sundries, and a short drive  would soon take us past Qhouse, Like and D condo buildings which have all been mentioned on this CR forum. In the same token I think we also passed Central shortly after BigC. They are all near my neighborhood by car

d) last but not least what waterfall/hot springs are easy to get my feet wet at first so to speak without demanding too much long distance driving from my host/guide (I will be paying for their services and gas expenses of course.)

Thank you in advance for any inputs, which will be very helpful and much appreciated. See you soon!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

I can't believe this is a serious post as it only took 30 seconds on Google maps to pinpoint your location. The Wat is very well known and that should have given you the start place.

Assuming you are genuine, the address is Nhong Boor Rd and the temple is Wat Chetawan.

The hot springs are at Pha Soet and about a 20 minute drive form this location.

Try easy study Thai in Jedyod Road.

8 hours ago, Flustered said:

I can't believe this is a serious post as it only took 30 seconds on Google maps to pinpoint your location. The Wat is very well known and that should have given you the start place.

Assuming you are genuine, the address is Nhong Boor Rd and the temple is Wat Chetawan.

The hot springs are at Pha Soet and about a 20 minute drive form this location.

Try easy study Thai in Jedyod Road.

Wow, just because I didn't possess same 30-second google maps skills such as yours and had to ask for help therefore my post was less than serious/genuine? If you were not in such a rush to judgement you might,  just might with a bit of luck obtain some insight into my inquiry which is where I was in relation to the general layout of the town (shopping, school, farang hangouts, etc.) - not the location per se which is easy enough to read on my HERE app. Keep in mind that the three days I spent in CR were among the non-English speaking people and it was hard enough to get intelligible info from them when your Thai is at bor song level (year 2 in elementary education), let alone knowing which Thai street names correspond to which English translation.

If you "can't believe" and had to "assume" then why wasted your time? I trust TV forum members in general to be smart enough to know a troll when they see one. I myself would be better off without your negative comment, which unfortunately you couldn't keep to yourself, and which has nevertheless stunk up my thread. Have you thought first what if my post is indeed genuine and serious, before soiling it with your casting doubt upon? This is totally uncalled for.

I declared myself a newbie didn't I, which I thought would allow me some slack in not knowing what is where/where is what. I'm not asking for a warm welcome from local expats, I only hoped for some common COURTESY and GENEROSITY such as one can expect when asking another fellow human being in the street for direction: "How far am I from the bus terminal? the clock tower, etc?" I guess such inquiry when put forth to your school of behavior would elicit this kind of response: "Oh gosh, can't you read your google map?"

2 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

Me thinks he doth protest too much........

Might Flustered be right?  hmmmm

Thank you.

No expertise in Google maps needed, just enter Wat Chetawan and there it is. The name of the Wat is in his picture.

I assumed the OP was genuine and even gave answers to his questions, so yes, he doth protest too much.

The wat is better known as Wat Phra Non..as it has a reclining budah.  It is very near me so PM me if you want any further help.  The driveway is near one which goes to a tutoring school.

The YMCA is one of the better courses of Thai.  Either at the city location or north of the river.  Be warned.  Learning thai will help you but older people here do not speak it well as they still speak Northern Thai.

20 hours ago, harrry said:

The wat is better known as Wat Phra Non..as it has a reclining budah.  It is very near me so PM me if you want any further help.  The driveway is near one which goes to a tutoring school.

The YMCA is one of the better courses of Thai.  Either at the city location or north of the river.  Be warned.  Learning thai will help you but older people here do not speak it well as they still speak Northern Thai.

Thank you Harry, for proving that posts can be helpful without displaying your superiority.

21 hours ago, harrry said:

Thank you Harry, for being helpful without being condescending.  People like you unfortunately are rare on this forum, as this thread has proven so far.

I just sent you a PM

4 hours ago, smo said:

Thank you Harry, for being helpful without being condescending.  People like you unfortunately are rare on this forum, as this thread has proven so far.

I just sent you a PM

I actually take umbrage at your posts.

Nothing I wrote was offensive and I offered help with how to find the hot springs and Thai classes.

Anyone who can navigate around ThaiVisa and the internet can use Google maps. We get many trolls on the forums so hence my first statement. I then stated I assume you are genuine and proceeded.

Your attempt to inflame the thread makes me certain now that you are just trying to cause trouble. 

You will be impressed with Chiang Rai if you come from Bangok....less traffic....but avoid a restaurant called melt in your mouth...the most arrogant management I ever experienced makes the food stuck in  your throat...

On 2017-05-22 at 10:15 PM, smo said:

Wow, just because I didn't possess same 30-second google maps skills such as yours and had to ask for help therefore my post was less than serious/genuine? If you were not in such a rush to judgement you might,  just might with a bit of luck obtain some insight into my inquiry which is where I was in relation to the general layout of the town (shopping, school, farang hangouts, etc.) - not the location per se which is easy enough to read on my HERE app. Keep in mind that the three days I spent in CR were among the non-English speaking people and it was hard enough to get intelligible info from them when your Thai is at bor song level (year 2 in elementary education), let alone knowing which Thai street names correspond to which English translation.

If you "can't believe" and had to "assume" then why wasted your time? I trust TV forum members in general to be smart enough to know a troll when they see one. I myself would be better off without your negative comment, which unfortunately you couldn't keep to yourself, and which has nevertheless stunk up my thread. Have you thought first what if my post is indeed genuine and serious, before soiling it with your casting doubt upon? This is totally uncalled for.

I declared myself a newbie didn't I, which I thought would allow me some slack in not knowing what is where/where is what. I'm not asking for a warm welcome from local expats, I only hoped for some common COURTESY and GENEROSITY such as one can expect when asking another fellow human being in the street for direction: "How far am I from the bus terminal? the clock tower, etc?" I guess such inquiry when put forth to your school of behavior would elicit this kind of response: "Oh gosh, can't you read your google map?"

Heads up! ThaiVisa has lots of nasty members. But some decent ones too. 

Expect to get beat up by a few. 

Enjoy CR. 

ŹZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ me falling a sleep reading such a long post.  Can anyone tell me where I am now. I see trees and grass and a road that goes that way. I think I am lost.??? I have been lost before it looked exactly like this. 

Big C's Food Park is quite good for low-cost food. The food at Central Festival's Food Park is quite ordinary. Although there are more of the upmarket restaurants there. There is a good Spanish restaurant coming out of Chiang Rai just before the turnoff to Thoeng/Home Pro, fairly expensive by Thai standards.

It's difficult to know what the OP would like in terms of sight-seeing, if he didn't like the White Temple and Singha Park. There's the Black House north of the city, Doi Mae Salong, Doi Ang Khan, Doi Chan, Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Saen. A hint - go to the sights on weekdays, not weekends as  there are thousands of Thais then.

1 hour ago, yooyoo said:

You will be impressed with Chiang Rai if you come from Bangok....less traffic....but avoid a restaurant called melt in your mouth...the most arrogant management I ever experienced makes the food stuck in  your throat...

yes, that was my worst experience in Chiangrai too.

"I think I will have to spend sometime at BigC, Central and the like to get a feel of local farang life."

I do think that is a bit peculiar.

I actually think post number 2 was helpful.  

If it was me asking, I would have said 'thank you', and asked more questions if I felt anything was left unanswered.

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Enjoy CR. 

Can you please explain what I said that could be taken out of context or be considered nasty.

I was polite, I offered advice and the location he was seeking.

Explanation please.

4 hours ago, yooyoo said:

You are lucky you were served. last time we went, they decided not to serve us as we were the only ones there and they did not feel like opening the kitchens for two people. Plenty of other great restaurants.

3 hours ago, Flustered said:

Can you please explain what I said that could be taken out of context or be considered nasty.

I was polite, I offered advice and the location he was seeking.

Explanation please.

May be its because your from Yorkshire :-) 

On 2017-5-23 at 3:15 AM, smo said:

Just going back over this as I was puzzled.I took time to check out your posting history.

Newbie? you have been a member since 2004, you have made many posts commenting quiet a lot on various subjects and showing a knowledge of Thailand, forums and the internet. Also, you seem to enjoy "arguing" with other FMs.

Definitely a wind up and others actually believed you.

9 hours ago, neeray said:

Enjoy CR. 

Some "nasty members" have more experience sniffing out trolls than you.  Don't be so gullible.

Chiang Rai for the Newbie

Seems our "Newbie" has been to Chiang Rai district before and many other places. A very well travelled  expat in Thailand with decent knowledge of using Google if you read his past posts.

Here he is in 2016 offering advice on where to stay in Chiang Rai district.

1.       In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo posted a topic in Chiang Rai Forum

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake with a string of hotels bordering one side of the lake (the other side is another town supposedly equally pittoresque).The lakefront promenade is the main draw of the region, one review even described it as having a western vibe - which makes me think of a mini version of Lake Leman or Como. There is one hotel that commands the best view of the lake. One single price for all the rooms however, so if you're lucky there will be a front room (looking out to the lake) available, if not they will put you in one of the rooms in the back, where you'll spend your entire stay seething with envy against those lucky ones staying in the front rooms. Advanced booking is therefore highly recommended. I was surfing on...

o     July 27, 2016

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo replied to smo's topic in Chiang Rai Forum

you're absolutely right, ken (clack, clack that's the sound of my left brain nodding!) okay, folks, tada it's Phayao! My genie Google found it for me on travelfish.org (not booking.com): "...This is as close to the Cote D’Azur as it gets in north Thailand and looking out over the lake, with hazy, blue mountains in the background and traditional wooden fishing boats in the fore, there’s also something of a mini-Inle Lake look to it too." ripstanley was right, there is no pittoresque town on the other side. My dream state - as astutely observed by kenk24 - was roaming the swiss side of lac ouchy looking over to the french town vichy on the other side... And the same-rate hotel is: Kwan Phayao Jumjai Homestay ...

When someone knows how to up load quality pictures into a forum not known for it user friendly links and in the main photo is the name of the Wat just by the road he was staying at and he asks "where was I staying?" of course you question the sincerity of the OP, especially as he admits knowing how to surf,  use Google and speaks Thai.

I tried to help on the assumption he was a genuine "newbie" and in return got bitten by a troll along with others who supported him.

I rest my case.

I found this town a semi industrial place. The most interesting place I was shown was the Queen Mothers Gardens somewhere outside the city up in the hills. One of the most beautiful places I have seen. Otherwise go up to the Mekong River....very impressive for its vast size, but not close.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking as a banal and opinionated twerp (I must be one as I live in this lackluster, parochial provincial backwater) one of the best things about the place is the absence of the utterly self impressed metropolitan sophisticates who love to condemn people and places on the basis of what they might have read somewhere...

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, bazza73 said:

Big C's Food Park is quite good for low-cost food. The food at Central Festival's Food Park is quite ordinary. Although there are more of the upmarket restaurants there. There is a good Spanish restaurant coming out of Chiang Rai just before the turnoff to Thoeng/Home Pro, fairly expensive by Thai standards.

It's difficult to know what the OP would like in terms of sight-seeing, if he didn't like the White Temple and Singha Park. There's the Black House north of the city, Doi Mae Salong, Doi Ang Khan, Doi Chan, Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Saen. A hint - go to the sights on weekdays, not weekends as  there are thousands of Thais then.

First time I went to White temple I loved it. Went back few days ago and hated it, as it's just a zoo now, with hundreds ?thousands of tourists trudging through it for the few minutes they are allowed to take some selfies. Awful.

I checked out the Black house and it seems like somewhere nice to go, as long as it too isn't overwhelmed with tourists.

I'm not saying tourists shouldn't be able to see them, but rushing through and taking a few selfies is not appreciating the beauty.

I don't know how to change that, given the tourist industry and C R being otherwise so devoid of tourist attractions.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:48 AM, Flustered said:

Chiang Rai for the Newbie

Seems our "Newbie" has been to Chiang Rai district before and many other places. A very well travelled  expat in Thailand with decent knowledge of using Google if you read his past posts.

Here he is in 2016 offering advice on where to stay in Chiang Rai district.

1.       In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo posted a topic in Chiang Rai Forum

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake with a string of hotels bordering one side of the lake (the other side is another town supposedly equally pittoresque).The lakefront promenade is the main draw of the region, one review even described it as having a western vibe - which makes me think of a mini version of Lake Leman or Como. There is one hotel that commands the best view of the lake. One single price for all the rooms however, so if you're lucky there will be a front room (looking out to the lake) available, if not they will put you in one of the rooms in the back, where you'll spend your entire stay seething with envy against those lucky ones staying in the front rooms. Advanced booking is therefore highly recommended. I was surfing on...

o     July 27, 2016

In a small town in Northern Thailand, there's a lake ...

smo replied to smo's topic in Chiang Rai Forum

you're absolutely right, ken (clack, clack that's the sound of my left brain nodding!) okay, folks, tada it's Phayao! My genie Google found it for me on travelfish.org (not booking.com): "...This is as close to the Cote D’Azur as it gets in north Thailand and looking out over the lake, with hazy, blue mountains in the background and traditional wooden fishing boats in the fore, there’s also something of a mini-Inle Lake look to it too." ripstanley was right, there is no pittoresque town on the other side. My dream state - as astutely observed by kenk24 - was roaming the swiss side of lac ouchy looking over to the french town vichy on the other side... And the same-rate hotel is: Kwan Phayao Jumjai Homestay ...

When someone knows how to up load quality pictures into a forum not known for it user friendly links and in the main photo is the name of the Wat just by the road he was staying at and he asks "where was I staying?" of course you question the sincerity of the OP, especially as he admits knowing how to surf,  use Google and speaks Thai.

I tried to help on the assumption he was a genuine "newbie" and in return got bitten by a troll along with others who supported him.

I rest my case.

Not answering your input, but as Phayao was brought up, I liked the place. If one gets away from the big road and down by the lake it's very pleasant. It's one of the few places I've been that they are actually spending money making the environment better, though the roads are insane.

Don't know that I'd like to live there though- bit boring.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, Flustered said:

You are lucky you were served. last time we went, they decided not to serve us as we were the only ones there and they did not feel like opening the kitchens for two people. Plenty of other great restaurants.

I don't blame them for that. They are running a business and it would probably cost more to open the kitchen than the profit from the meal. As you say, plenty of other restaurants around.

What gets me about Thai restaurants is that even pricier ones never seem to get that an entre should be served before the main course, not after.

Archived