Thailand is World’s Deadliest Country for Motorcyclists

webfact

Thailand is World’s Deadliest Country for Motorcyclists

mc.jpg

Picture: Chiang Rai Times

BANGKOK – Experts said last month that, on average, 5,500 motorcyclists die annually – or 15 deaths a day,making Thailand the world’s deadliest country for two-wheelers.

The issue returned to the fore this month after two separate motorbike accidents in Phuket killed a pregnant British tourist and seriously injured another British tourist.

“If you take motorcycles out of the equation, Thailand’s roads will be as safe as (those in) Switzerland, the United States and Britain,” Dr Liviu Vedrasco, health cluster chief at the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Bangkok, told The Sunday Times.

In a 2015 report, WHO said there were 26.3 motorcycle-related deaths for every 100,000 people in Thailand, the highest in the world.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-is-worlds-deadliest-country-for-motorcyclists.html

changraitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang Rai Times 2017-05-23

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at the picture it seems that at least one rider did not have their helmet fastened, I lost a good friend in Pattaya a few years back because of the fact that he didn't have his helmet fastened, wearing an unfastened helmet might save you a 500 baht fine but it will not save your life, if the helmet laws were to be "policed" for everyone the stats might come down a bit.

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand for the better part of the last 30 years from big choppers to a  scooters, my biggest fear was not be hit from behind by a careless and distracted drivers, which are plenty of them around, other than that, I ride with a mindset of a racing driver, watching and calculating what other road users all around me are doing and to preempt a disaster.... Once I was hit head on while waiting in a red lights  by a out of control pickup and broke my left wrist bone, other than that,  so far so good... 

Just looking at the picture it seems that at least one rider did not have their helmet fastened, I lost a good friend in Pattaya a few years back because of the fact that he didn't have his helmet fastened, wearing an unfastened helmet might save you a 500 baht fine but it will not save your life, if the helmet laws were to be "policed" for everyone the stats might come down a bit.

If the person wants to ignore his her own safety and take risks, allow them. But they or their families ought not to be surprised, upset or sorrowful when an accident happens.

"...making Thailand the world’s deadliest country for two-wheelers."

What the article should say is that "Thailand is the most lax in enforcing safety standards for motor cycle and auto drivers, resulting in it becoming the most deadliest country for such vehicles". 

“If you take motorcycles out of the equation, Thailand’s roads will be as safe as (those in) Switzerland, the United States and Britain,” Dr Liviu Vedrasco

B.S. 

They are maniacs in cars and trucks too, they just don't die as easily.

I could sometimes go months without seeing a car accident in the US. I see one or two (cars) per week here, usually late night. 

I agree with half of the article. There is no doubt it is incredibly dangerous to drive a motorbike in Thailand. More than likely due to the astonishing lack of skill, awareness, defensive driving, caution, patience, driving IQ, forethought, consideration for others, regard for their passenger, and other drivers, the refusal to wear a helmet, and when one is worn, the refusal to invest real money, in a real helmet, and total and complete lack of law enforcement.

However, I adamantly disagree with the conclusion that Thailand would be as safe as Switzerland if motorbikes were removed from the picture. That is rubbish. Nonsense. People here drive with such an incredible lack of regard for safety, and others on the road, much less their own families that are driving with them. A lot of the blame falls squarely on the very, very small shoulders of the toy police, who are beyond incompetent, and indifferent beyond imagination.

2 hours ago, Jessi said:

These motor bike riders think they have a brick wall around them and nothing can hurt them. They just turn into the road & dont look.

I said it before, they seem to look at it this way.....If I don't look and check then I won't see anything coming, and if I don't see anything then it is OK for me to glide onto the main road regardless.

2 hours ago, Jessi said:

These motor bike riders think they have a brick wall around them

and nothing can hurt them. They just turn into the road & dont look.

I certainly don't feel that way, I am very cautious. I was thinking that very thing the other day, not only do I have to be cautious, I need to fear others around me.  And I tell you, trucks and cars also turn directly into the path of motorcycles without care.

My biggest fear is the knuckle headed young thai guy that pins the throttle and has no clue.  They pass on the left on the right when I'm making a turn, absolutely no clue about prudent speed or using caution or yielding.  They need education about crossing the centerline, at speed,  when overtaking a turning vehicle... oh, the list goes on.  
But, I think a lot of these fatalities occur at night, drunk drivers, no helmet and high speed.

I know a lot of thais that are actually pretty damn good bike handlers, wear protective clothes/helmet and they shake their head when the clueless dumbasses go zipping by no helmet.

Since there are no real police here to enforce the idiots, the idiots will continue to multiply and the death toll will continue to rise.  
Safe riding.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“If you take motorcycles out of the equation, Thailand’s roads will be as safe as (those in) Switzerland, the United States and Britain,”

Oh, thank you very much. I always like to start the day with a good old chuckle.  Dr Liviu Vedrasco you haven't got a clue.:cheesy:

I wonder what the stats are on speeding, drunk, drivers killing motorcyclists.

1 hour ago, harada said:

If the cause of the accidents were stopped, there would be little need for helmets.

I've been here 10 years. I had an accident when here less than three months. It made me wise up to how people drive here. I haven't had another accident since, but I am ever wary of getting wiped out by some knuckle headed moron. You seriously can not relax for a second if you want to get to your destination intact.

I think theoritically it could be argued in court that the traffic police have grossly neglected to perform their duties and thus are guilty of something equivalent to manslaughter in thousands. Death penalty would be on the table...

I have literally lost count of the friends and acquaintances here who have been killed on the roads, yet do not recall anyone being killed in U.K. and America combined, even though that time span was greater. The main problem is twofold, lack of protection for the motorcyclist, and the terrifying fact that so many drivers of cars and trucks here just do not look where they are going.

5 hours ago, DinoSabanovic said:

In Phuket it is common practice for motorcycles to go short distances driving in the 'wrong' direction on one-way roads. The only real problem with this is that tourists who aren't used to Thai driving practices do not seem to know about this and therefore obviously haven't researched the country that much before coming here. However, Thais and ex-pats know that the tourists don't realize this and so are extra-careful, for instance, when they see a tourist pulling out onto a one-way road and not looking in both directions. It's not recommended but it also doesn't seem to be a significant cause of serious accidents.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

On a vacation trip some years back, we saw the aftermath of 3 fatal motorcycle accidents.  It was 3 in 4 weeks.  Too much.

And still they don't learn anything! They run the streets wild...You Better Watch Out!

Thais are irresponsible and selfish on the roads and will just go where they want because they are "Thai".  This is evidenced, clearly, by flashing headlights. Most countries it means 'after you' or 'thank you' or 'you go first'  here it means 'get out the way' or 'I'm not going to stop'. It's a metaphor for Thai thinking. I ride much less than i used to and much slower you have to assume an idiot will turn without indicating at any time.

something doesn't add up. according to WHO list (from) Wiki of road fatalities, Thailand had 24,237 road related deaths in 2013 (doubbt it has got any better!). That is 66 deaths a day.  I can't remember the source but the estimates for bike deaths is 70-80% of that toll, which is 53 motorbike deaths a day. Take the motorbike deaths out and that leaves 13 deaths a day for cars/vans/buses, which is still horrendous and no where as safe as many countries.

there has always been rumours that Thailand road fatalities are not a true reflection of the actual deaths, for example only counting people that actually die at the accident and not at the hospital; don't know if true or not. But 15 a day seems very low.

The other thing that is usually not mentioned is the number of people severly injured which would also create hardship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Archived