Thailand is World’s Deadliest Country for Motorcyclists

webfact

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Thai step-son is 20 years old and has during the past 2 years been involved in 5 accidents with his motorbike. All his fault for driving way to close to others. 

I keep telling him to keep distance to others, but its like talking to a wall. Last time I was in the bank here I made an insurance for him, which will payout 3 mill. THB to his mother and I, if he dies in a motorbike accident. Figured the odds would be better, than buying a lottery ticket.

Just ask any person in Thailand.....if they own or drive a mororbike, they have been in an accident at some point......just a death trap on two wheels.....of course have said that, walking is just about as dangerous in the streets of Pattaya....near miss for me two and three times a day.....and that is on a safe day.....other days even more....crazy place for sure....???

Just now, chicowoodduck said:

Just ask any person in Thailand.....if they own or drive a mororbike, they have been in an accident at some point......just a death trap on two wheels.....of course have said that, walking is just about as dangerous in the streets of Pattaya....near miss for me two and three times a day.....and that is on a safe day.....other days even more....crazy place for sure....???

Yes, most have been in an accident. The problem is that most Thais do not learn anything at all from it, because no Thai will ever admit a mistake.

Most will spend their time blaming the others or even the surface of the road for the accident. 

Why are Thailand so deadly for motorbikers?

Could it be that most motorbikeriders in Thailand dont wear a helmet?

Could it be that of those few who actually wear a helmet - the helmet they wear is better suited as used for a bedpan than actually protecting a head of a human?

Could it be that 99,9 % of thai motorbikeriders dont wear anything else for protection than flipflop sandals, shorts and a T-shirt? (Hint - protective jacket, pants, boots and gloves)

Could it be that many motorbikeriders dont have a driving license for a motorbike?

Could it be that for those who actually have a motorbike driving license - the process of getting it didnt include proper training in how to ride a motorbike, how to understand traffic laws and regulations and traffic signs, how to interact with other traffic, how to avoid accidents etc?

Could it be that riding a motorbike in a drunk state seem to be totally acceptable for most thai citizens? 

Could it be that making a phone call or a text while riding a motorbike in jammed city traffic seems totally normal for most thais?

Could it be that brakes and tyres often are neglected items on motorbikes in Thailand - not to mention lights and indicators (and the use of the last mentioned item)?

Could it be that thais often sit 3-4-5 persons on one bike that are made for maximum two persons?

Could it be that thais often load their motorbikes with ridiculos amounts of load of various amounts that severly change the mobility and handling of the motorbike? 

Could it be that riding in severe rain or total dark seems quite normal for most thai motorbike riders?

There are of cause car drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers and pickup drivers that drive drunk or recklessly - so even if youre take all precautions - youre never 100 % safe. But that goes for all places and countries around the world.

The biggest problems for thai motorbikeriders are their own attitude towards riding a motorbike.

Thai roads and thai traffic is not that bad compared to other countries around the world - its most of all in the attitude of the thai motorbike riders...

One of these signs is not used in Thailand. Or so it seems.

The mindset is MERGE at all times.

.......  never YIELD to oncoming traffic  

... unless it is a cement truck or double decker bus ! 

As many of you stated above --- Thai riders just cruise out of side roads

and do full speed,  left turns at a red light,

without so much as a shoulder check to see who has the right of way. 

& Don't get me started on right of way in a Traffic Round About / Circle. 

yield.jpg

merge.png

5 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Oh come on stop the spin, everyone who uses the roads here are in danger, including the dam dogs.

World Health Organisation

What the hell do they know, sat in their air con offices talking bullS>>>

Your comment is hilarious. Facts are NOT spin mate. However let the idiots kill themselves, it’s natural selection. Ride here (without a helmet) you run the huge risk, greater than pretty much anywhere else of dying on the road. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“If you take motorcycles out of the equation, Thailand’s roads will be as safe as (those in) Switzerland, the United States and Britain,”

I'd like to see the cite or link to support this claim.

Here is what I've found:

Countries With the Most and Least Car-Crash Deaths (2014): Thailand #2, UK #180, Switzerland #184

http://www.livescience.com/43462-countries-crash-death-rates.html

But here's another disturbing statistic:

Thailand now rated 2nd most likely country for tourists to die (2015)

http://www.livingthai.org/thailand-now-rated-2nd-most-likely-country-for-tourists-to-die.html

3 hours ago, DinoSabanovic said:

This is common practice in Thailand. ...everywhere in dense traffic in Bangkok on open roads ...I'm not surprised about the death toll. ...its anot indication of poor discipline and lawlessness...the Thais need a  General to rule them to tell them to behave ...they are not being taught when they grow up.   

13 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

Why are Thailand so deadly for motorbikers?

Could it be that most motorbikeriders in Thailand dont wear a helmet?

Could it be that of those few who actually wear a helmet - the helmet they wear is better suited as used for a bedpan than actually protecting a head of a human?

Could it be that 99,9 % of thai motorbikeriders dont wear anything else for protection than flipflop sandals, shorts and a T-shirt? (Hint - protective jacket, pants, boots and gloves)

Could it be that many motorbikeriders dont have a driving license for a motorbike?

Could it be that for those who actually have a motorbike driving license - the process of getting it didnt include proper training in how to ride a motorbike, how to understand traffic laws and regulations and traffic signs, how to interact with other traffic, how to avoid accidents etc?

Could it be that riding a motorbike in a drunk state seem to be totally acceptable for most thai citizens? 

Could it be that making a phone call or a text while riding a motorbike in jammed city traffic seems totally normal for most thais?

Could it be that brakes and tyres often are neglected items on motorbikes in Thailand - not to mention lights and indicators (and the use of the last mentioned item)?

Could it be that thais often sit 3-4-5 persons on one bike that are made for maximum two persons?

Could it be that thais often load their motorbikes with ridiculos amounts of load of various amounts that severly change the mobility and handling of the motorbike? 

Could it be that riding in severe rain or total dark seems quite normal for most thai motorbike riders?

There are of cause car drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers and pickup drivers that drive drunk or recklessly - so even if youre take all precautions - youre never 100 % safe. But that goes for all places and countries around the world.

The biggest problems for thai motorbikeriders are their own attitude towards riding a motorbike.

Thai roads and thai traffic is not that bad compared to other countries around the world - its most of all in the attitude of the thai motorbike riders...

Many of your comments could be directed equally at those driving cars, but I take particular exception to the comment about clothing/helmets and tyres for the following reasons:-

1) Nobody is about to put on full protective 'bike gear when travelling a few miles to the local shops on a scooter because it would not only look ridiculous, but also be very hot and cumbersome on a scooter!

2) I spent a lot of time searching for a good quality helmet that fitted my (apparently) small head.  Yes, it seems extremely unlikely that a Westerner would find it hard to find a small, good quality helmet - but I promise you its true.  The difficulty was probably exacerbated as I didn't want a 'full face helmet' as (long story) they make me claustrophobic and nauseous - so it had to be a good quality 'normal' type helmet.

3) Have you tried to find good quality tyres for scooters???  Perhaps its because I live on Phuket - but the only available tyres are of the cheap and rubbish variety....

17 minutes ago, kentrot said:

One of these signs is not used in Thailand. Or so it seems.

The mindset is MERGE at all times.

.......  never YIELD to oncoming traffic  

... unless it is a cement truck or double decker bus ! 

As many of you stated above --- Thai riders just cruise out of side roads

and do full speed,  left turns at a red light,

without so much as a shoulder check to see who has the right of way. 

& Don't get me started on right of way in a Traffic Round About / Circle. 

yield.jpg

merge.png

Funnily enough, I quite like the approach to roundabouts/circles!  Obviously it necessitates being very careful at all times but it works 99% of the time.

3 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

something doesn't add up. according to WHO list (from) Wiki of road fatalities, Thailand had 24,237 road related deaths in 2013 (doubbt it has got any better!). That is 66 deaths a day.  I can't remember the source but the estimates for bike deaths is 70-80% of that toll, which is 53 motorbike deaths a day. Take the motorbike deaths out and that leaves 13 deaths a day for cars/vans/buses, which is still horrendous and no where as safe as many countries.

Your observation is quite correct. I'd spotted myself. The source regarding the percentages comes from the government's own statistics and is quoted whenever they publish the figures for the so called '7 deadly days'. (which as it happens are no different from the rest of the year, but that's another topic)

And I also did a similar calculation a while back and it transpired that none motorcycle fatalities roughly matched those of the USA. (which are somewhat higher than Switzerland or the UK, so once again Dr Vedrasco, do your homework!) This is best appreciated if one transposes the figures into deaths per 100,000, which is a more accurate way of gauging it.

So there is some merit to this report, but it is, unfortunately, discredited by the flaws therein and whether any credible action is taken because of it is anyone's guess!

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Thais are irresponsible and selfish on the roads and will just go where they want because they are "Thai".  This is evidenced, clearly, by flashing headlights. Most countries it means 'after you' or 'thank you' or 'you go first'  here it means 'get out the way' or 'I'm not going to stop'. It's a metaphor for Thai thinking. I ride much less than i used to and much slower you have to assume an idiot will turn without indicating at any time.

Very good point LannaGuy.   Maybe we should employ the metaphor wider and fit all Thais, pedestrians and drivers/riders with flashing lights in their heads because the same selfish, irresponsible mindset is present when they are not driving too.

When I went for my motorbike license in Australia, I had to sit for a written test. Can't remember what the pass mark was, about 85% from memory. 5 young guys sitting the test flunked - come back in a month's time.

Then I had the road test - slow riding, taking curves, braking. You flunked if your foot touched the ground, or you went outside the painted lines.

Thailand? I had to identify red, yellow and green lights. That was the sum total of assessing my ability to ride a bike safely here.

It's not surprising the death rate is so high here - I doubt some of the riders here even have licenses.

6 hours ago, harada said:

Just looking at the picture it seems that at least one rider did not have their helmet fastened, I lost a good friend in Pattaya a few years back because of the fact that he didn't have his helmet fastened, wearing an unfastened helmet might save you a 500 baht fine but it will not save your life, if the helmet laws were to be "policed" for everyone the stats might come down a bit.

You make a good point. It seems to be flip it on and drive. Fastening up is to much work in this fast paced world. Rather save a few bahts than a  life. 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand for the better part of the last 30 years from big choppers to a  scooters, my biggest fear was not be hit from behind by a careless and distracted drivers, which are plenty of them around, other than that, I ride with a mindset of a racing driver, watching and calculating what other road users all around me are doing and to preempt a disaster.... Once I was hit head on while waiting in a red lights  by a out of control pickup and broke my left wrist bone, other than that,  so far so good... 

His Thai name is ezzra the lucky

4 hours ago, hobz said:

I think theoritically it could be argued in court that the traffic police have grossly neglected to perform their duties and thus are guilty of something equivalent to manslaughter in thousands. Death penalty would be on the table...

Theoretically are we just talking helmets??

If you take motorcycles out of the equation, Thailand’s roads will be as safe as (those in) Switzerland, the United States and Britain,” Dr Liviu Vedrasco, health cluster chief at the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Bangkok, told The Sunday Times."

Simple solution. Toys are taken away from kids, aren't they?

But, Hey! It wouldn't be Thailand anymore, would it?

OK. Keep the motorcycles and eliminate the motorcyclists. Problem solved!

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

What wonder. 90% have no idea for trafficrules. 50% Have no drivinglicense. 80% don't wear helmets. At least most drives brainless, including many falangs.

Add to that the fact that most wouldn't understand what a percentage is and the fact that 95% are too dumb and arrogant to realise just how dumb and arrogant they are.

Makes me wonder what Darwin would have made of Thailand had he come here instead of the Galapagos Islands!

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Theoretically are we just talking helmets??

Let's be honest here.  The main issue isn't about helmets and other protective gear, it's mostly about the (predominantly) Thai mindset.

By the time you need to discuss the helmet issue, it usually means that something has already gone terribly wrong!

3 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

I don't think it comes down to enforcement, it should be less enforcement.

The problem here is the law. Motorcycles are required to ride on the left side of the road.

We motorcycle riders must stay in the other vehicle's, buses', van's, truck'[s, car's, songteaw's blind spot. They can't see us. No one seems to do anything about illegal parking. People park right under the no parking signs. People park illegally where a car pulling into a road cannot see oncoming traffic. Businesses work on cars in the streets, change tires, brakes etc right under no parking signs. Motorcycles are forced to navigate through intersections with all the other cars slowing down traffic at the same time rather than safely use the overpass that has no traffic. Not to mention cars stopping in the middle of the roads to buy food, let passengers get in or out of their cars, taxis buying moo yang etc.

Change the laws, let us ride where it's safe rather than risking our lives in order to avoid a ticket which is merely extortion because we get ticketed for trying to be safe.

Why don't the police target what makes the roads dangerous rather than target the poorer people that have no choice but to ride a motorcycle because they can't afford a car or have the time to sit in traffic.

These stupid laws are a money maker for the police.

They don't have to show you any ID, They don't have to tell you their name, they don't even have to tell you which law you broke. They just say "left side". Give them the book, they can't find the law. We give them our licenses because they have guns, we have to. It's mafia style extortion and motorcyclists pay with money and their lives. How about taking away the commission police get every time they write a ticket. The most absurd thing I ever heard. Writing tickets for profit.

Change the laws that are killing us and see what happens. What do they have to lose, certainly less than we do.

"We motorcycle riders must stay in the other vehicle's, buses', van's, truck'[s, car's, songteaw's blind spot."

If that's the law, it's certainly not observed by motorcyclists in Bangkok nor enforced by the police. At just about every intersection the motorbikes are in the lead even if it means perching in the pedestrian crosswalk or even beyond (especially if they're thinking about circumventing a red light). Major intersections such as Asok have a reserved space marked on the pavement, nearest the pedestrian crosswalk, specifically for motorbikes.

Motorcyclists in Bangkok, by my observations are generally a very impatient lot  and will pass a car on either side at first opportunity because many of them are motorbike-taxis and time = money with them. In any event, it's the motorcyclist's responsibility to be seen by the operator of another motor vehicle. However, there's no guarantee that the other operator will even condescend to use their rear-view mirror (if they even have one - cyclists/bicyclists take note).

“If you take motorcycles out of the equation, Thailand’s roads will be as safe as (those in) Switzerland, the United States and Britain,” Dr Liviu Vedrasco,"

yyyah rrrrright !!!

And all cars and trucks drivers in Thailand are great drivers. 555

we see them everyday. 

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand for the better part of the last 30 years from big choppers to a  scooters, my biggest fear was not be hit from behind by a careless and distracted drivers, which are plenty of them around, other than that, I ride with a mindset of a racing driver, watching and calculating what other road users all around me are doing and to preempt a disaster.... Once I was hit head on while waiting in a red lights  by a out of control pickup and broke my left wrist bone, other than that,  so far so good... 

You don't need a mindset of a racing driver. Any sensible vehicle driver should know this.

Always think 2 cars in front of u.

23 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

"We motorcycle riders must stay in the other vehicle's, buses', van's, truck'[s, car's, songteaw's blind spot."

If that's the law, it's certainly not observed by motorcyclists in Bangkok nor enforced by the police. At just about every intersection the motorbikes are in the lead even if it means perching in the pedestrian crosswalk or even beyond (especially if they're thinking about circumventing a red light). Major intersections such as Asok have a reserved space marked on the pavement, nearest the pedestrian crosswalk, specifically for motorbikes.

Motorcyclists in Bangkok, by my observations are generally a very impatient lot  and will pass a car on either side at first opportunity because many of them are motorbike-taxis and time = money with them. In any event, it's the motorcyclist's responsibility to be seen by the operator of another motor vehicle. However, there's no guarantee that the other operator will even condescend to use their rear-view mirror (if they even have one - cyclists/bicyclists take note).

In my experience motorbike-taxis are the safest Thai drivers on 2 wheels, that is if they are not high on something of course.

Archived