Foreigner jumps into Chiang Mai canal to save Thai teen from sinking car

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

An excellent story of the type of expat Thailand needs... Kudos too him... 

On a slightly different note: It seems that there are so many cars which end up in the moat. How is that ?

Either people really have no idea how to drive, or there are so many extremely drunk drivers (or a combination of both).

Maybe just too many moats for Thai drivers?

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

An excellent story of the type of expat Thailand needs... Kudos too him... 

On a slightly different note: It seems that there are so many cars which end up in the moat. How is that ?

Either people really have no idea how to drive, or there are so many extremely drunk drivers (or a combination of both).

Most  truck drivers often fall asleep on the wheel, others are not being careful and drive over the edge. If you are outside of bangkok, there are a lot of roads that run along klongs with no protective barrier, not even a concrete protrusion.  To add to that sometimes drivers think there is a small grass run off, and accidentally try to drive over the grass, but they end up falling in.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

I hope the rescuer doesn't catch something nasty. The water in the moat looked far from clean recently.

First thing i thought too. Think I'd take a round of antibiotics if it were me.

16 hours ago, cmsally said:

Stripped off to dive in ??

Bit difficult to  swim in long trousers!

And run the risk of being arrested for being naked ,no dont buy that.He wasnt doing laps he probably only had to jump in next to the car and looks immaculate .

Maybe its that new line of drip dry clothing.Where is Dave when you need him ?

14 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

First thing i thought too. Think I'd take a round of antibiotics if it were me.

He'll probably be admitted to hospital next week with some life-threatening infection, then the Thais will be complaining about him not having medical insurance.

I remember when I was young my dad and i where out in a motor boat and when we wear near a pier saw two little kids fall off the dock. I jumped out of the boat and grabbed the kids by the collar and pulled them to safety.  their father was working inside his boat and didn't know they fell in the water. Hero no just doing the right thing that's all.

16 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Probably his work permit.

555 no good deed goes unpunished!  Good job though.  Remember, when going into unclear water to rescue someone, enter the water slowly.  If you must jump, jump feet first to prevent injury from hidden objects  that could cause injury

The gentleman was a Mr James Grant as reported by City Life today .If you happen to come across him buy him a beer.

Apparently the driver is reporting that he was run off the roiad by an erratic fellow driver.Not in CM surely

Just now, Jonmarleesco said:

Dove is archaic English - unless, apparently, you are American, whose 'proper' use of the language seemingly stirs the embers of ambition of every potential student.

I can't disagree, though, that the US variant does seem to coin ever more new - and oft very peculiar - words.

Such as "alternative facts" and "friendly fire"?

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

The gentleman was a Mr James Grant as reported by City Life today .If you happen to come across him buy him a beer.

Apparently the driver is reporting that he was run off the roiad by an erratic fellow driver.Not in CM surely

Probably a songtaew, under the impression he was dunking an Uber driver.

20 hours ago, Rama said:

Truly heroic, but don't understand the picture...are the BIBs checking his license after saving someone???

No,  They want to know if he has a work permit to do rescue !!

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

It's not use of the word 'dove' that bothered me, it's the use of 'elderly'.  A spritely 61 year old who dived. dove, doved into a river and saved, soved, sove a teen from a sinking car is a superman, not an elderly man.

I am a sprightly 72 year old, but that does not negate the fact I am elderly. Face it, elderly is a term to describe those of use with more behind us than ahead of us. Becoming an elder is far better than the alternative.

It always astonishes me how a thread on an international forum gets derailed by one or two 'language experts'...

For the record, I doubt that he did dive into the canal, he probably jumped !!... and who cares what differences exist between American English and English English, unless you are a journalist or writing a scientific paper you'd have to be of such juvenile mentally to even be concerned with such issues....

Back on Topic... The BiB probably checked his ID so they could make their report on who 'jumped' in to save the drawing victim. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

It always astonishes me how a thread on an international forum gets derailed by one or two 'language experts'...

For the record, I doubt that he did dive into the canal, he probably jumped !!... and who cares what differences exist between American English and English English, unless you are a journalist or writing a scientific paper you'd have to be of such juvenile mentally to even be concerned with such issues....

Back on Topic... The BiB probably checked his ID so they could make their report on who 'jumped' in to save the drawing victim. 

plunged, that's more dramatic. This is going to be good, i can tell 

Archived