Foreigner jumps into Chiang Mai canal to save Thai teen from sinking car

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, KenKadz said:

" cut off by another vehicle — the surprise made him veer off the road. "

Any excuse will do! Was the kid checked for alcohol and/or drugs?

..that big black dog again.

On 23/05/2017 at 5:44 AM, LMM said:

So age 61 is "elderly" now, eh coconuts? Typical ageist millenials...

I agree. Since when is 61 "elderly"? He's not even of pension age yet (65 typically). He's middle aged for chrissake OK? Anyone who can dive into a canal and pull a full grown drowning teenager from a canal is not yet "elderly" IMHO.

3 hours ago, sambum said:

I wouldn't of thought that had anything to do with the topic!

(I know - you didn't start it! The guy with the dig about aluminium did!)

You mean "have" do you?  Yes, I am glad you noticed.

Jim is a retired schoolteacher from the UK and has been living in CM since at least 2012.  Very friendly and full of energy.  I can't imagine that he would appreciate being termed "elderly", although he likely wouldn't mind in this case.  

Yes, I do know Jim although I haven't seen him for quite some time as I'm no longer living in Thailand.  Well done Jim!

14 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

At what age does 'elderly' begin in Thailand? From 57?  The proper term is middle-aged, late-middle age lasts until 75, whereupon the term elderly can be used.

I don't get the terminology. I'm nearly 49 but hardly feel 'middle-aged'...just a bit more grey hair but much the same as when I was younger! Retirement is 60 in Thailand but most government-retired Thais collect their pension then go and take another full time job.  

14 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

At what age does 'elderly' begin in Thailand? From 57?  The proper term is middle-aged, late-middle age lasts until 75, whereupon the term elderly can be used.

The OECD life expectancy is 80 years, so you're saying your in late middle-age until 75? 

I think old and elderly are not exacts; I am 72 and I accept either as being descriptive; however, I think of myself as much younger and am told I act that way.  Just be yourself.

On 5/24/2017 at 6:40 AM, dotpoom said:

Absolutely correct. 

The word "hero" is bandied about so much these days that it has lost it's true meaning.

Agreed,

hero as well as patriot

I hate when draft dodging politicians refer to themselves as patriots. 

Archived