Phuket lifeguards warn of Portuguese man o’ war at west coast beaches

webfact

Phuket lifeguards warn of Portuguese man o’ war at west coast beaches

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1495682737_1-org.jpg

The Portuguese man o'war come with the southwesterly monsoons. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Services

PHUKET: -- Phuket lifeguards have put out a warning to beachgoers to be careful of Portuguese man o’ war when entering the water at the island’s west coast beaches.

The Phuket Lifeguard Service yesterday (May 24) posted two pictures on its Facebook page showing the siphonophores at Nai Thon Beach along with a warning saying that they are coming as it is now monsoon season.

It also warns that the tentacles of the Portuguese man o’war contain venom, and that they should not be touched as the venom can cause severe pain, sometimes worse if someone have an allergic reaction to it.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguards-warn-of-portuguese-man-o-war-at-west-coast-beaches-62297.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-25

i was raised on Australian beaches... i have been zapped by these many times b4 but they have's put me down... cry, sting, pain... yes.... but now 62 and still hitting the beaches... box jelly's are the ones we need to stay away from!!  An yes they have them here mainly on the east coast of the island and the west coast of the mainland where there are many small estuaries with mangrove's abundant.... BE CAREFUL!!  KNOW WHERE U ARE SWIMMING.... !!

Archived