CCTV caught the moment two Thai tourists on phones were struck by lightning on Cha-Am beach

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

How is your French, German, Spanish, Norwegian, Dutch ?

French and German are OK, but this is an English site and sometimes we are known to have a sense of humour!

17 hours ago, sambum said:

"I  am tempted  to  laugh" So am I!  "ball lightening" might be achieved with a good razor, whereas a "lightening storm" might conceivably happen in a ladies hairdressing salon on a Friday afternoon! :smile:  Sorry - couldn't resist the temptation!

lol.  A random interpretation of  ball lightening.

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Does anybody have a lightening rod installed on his house / land? Any suggestions or experiences ?

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/InstallRods.html

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/does-my-home-need-lightning-rod.htm

http://lightningrod.com/

55 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Thanks for the links.

But as they are rather general, I still hope to hear about personal experiences in Thailand.

And perhaps a silly question..... Does having a lightning rod attract lightning? I mean, in 6 years we were struck only once by a not so bad strike, causing some damage to lights. I would not want to  attract strikes that otherwise would not occur?!

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thanks for the links.

But as they are rather general, I still hope to hear about personal experiences in Thailand.

And perhaps a silly question..... Does having a lightning rod attract lightning? I mean, in 6 years we were struck only once by a not so bad strike, causing some damage to lights. I would not want to  attract strikes that otherwise would not occur?!

No it doesnt attract lightening, but protect from both direct and indirect lightning. Here you have a informative link containing  everything from a-z inclusive an installation (unfortunately not in Thailand but in the US)

I am sure that you will find suppliers in Thailand considering all the tall buildings - the equipment may differ but the technical princip is the same.

On 5/26/2017 at 0:35 AM, mrfaroukh said:

You are wrong. I have read many places that when there is lightning you should never speak on mobile.

You may have read it, but that doesn't mean it's true. The scientific explanation was given earlier, and goes as follows: 

With corded phones, there is a conductive path a lightning bolt could follow from the location it originally strikes to your body. Cell phones and cordless phones, however, do not provide this kind of conductive path. This makes them safe to use during lightning storms. However, a cell phone plugged into its charger carries the same danger during lightning storms as a corded phone.

On May 26, 2017 at 11:05 PM, ttrd said:

LIGHTNING FACTS

There are, on average, about 1,800 thunderstorms in progress at any one time around the world with 100 lightning strikes every second.
A lightning bolt travels at about 14,000mph and heats up the air around it to 30,000°C - five times hotter than the surface of the sun.

"The chance of being hit by lightning is about one in three million"

* With other words its far more easy to win full pot in lotto than to be hit by lightning, i.e multippel lotto-winners "watch out"...;)...

An American professional golfer has been hit three different times....he said it felt like his blood was boiling in his veins.

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

An American professional golfer has been hit three different times....he said it felt like his blood was boiling in his veins.

Yes, it was to be expected that Tiger Woods would come up with some silly Thai excuse for his condition while driving a car.

I saw the video on The link and thought the medic was giving CPR very fast.

100 to 120 pulses per minute is recommended but faster is still better than nothing.

The link for UK  heart foundation is a good foundation to learn CPR.

But please call an ambulance immediately before giving CPR.

Thailand  1669

Australia   000

UK              999

US              911

EU              112

On 5/25/2017 at 7:42 AM, webfact said:

Police said that the fact that the couple were on their mobile phones was a factor in them being struck by lightning.

I think the fact they were under a tree is more of a factor.

I doubt it was a "pine tree"

"Despite its needle-like leaves, cone-like fruit and resemblance to a conifer or pine tree, casuarina is not related to the Pinaceae, or pine, family of plants. It belongs to the Casuarinaceae family, whose members are either monoecious or dioecious."

tree.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 25/05/2017 at 6:11 AM, sweatalot said:

I don't believe their mobile phones have anything to do wit their accident.

But I do believe their sitting under a tree on the otherwise empty beach caused it.

It might be true that many lightning victims had their mobile with them.

The reason is clear: how many percent have no mobile with them.

Same logic as "people who were struck by lightning had a head, so they are more in danger than than those without"

indeed, people standing under trees in thunder storms have been struck by lightning for longer than mobile phones have been around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 6:43 PM, wlcart said:

I don't think the deep roots matter much, pine trees are tall, and that is why the often are hit. 

But if you really are wondering about how lighting knows things, look into quantum physics. Electrons (and light) actually do have an ability to know the path of least resistance even before they transverse a medium. These tiny particles of energy do not follow the same laws of physics that us bigger objects obey.  

It actually doesn't require analysis at the quantum level at all.

Simple classical field theory, known in great detail since the days of Maxwell, explains the phenomenon perfectly on a macroscopic scale.

Of course, if you are interested in the world at a subatomic level like an electron would be, quantum mechanics is inescapable.

23 minutes ago, Monomial said:

It actually doesn't require analysis at the quantum level at all.

Simple classical field theory, known in great detail since the days of Maxwell, explains the phenomenon perfectly on a macroscopic scale.

Of course, if you are interested in the world at a subatomic level like an electron would be, quantum mechanics is inescapable.

Been thinking about that for a while? :smile:

• 7 months later...
On 5/25/2017 at 6:53 PM, cat handler said:

Ha ha ha ha, yeah right.

just wondering how the lightening knows that?

From the tremendous charge that accumulates at the top of the tree,, attracted to the charge in the clouds.

On 5/26/2017 at 11:24 PM, tazly said:

would not squatting on 1 foot be better though more tiring

Yes; better to run than to walk.  The lightning strikes, and dissipates away through the ground; the potential difference between the points where your feet touch the ground can be enough to kill you. If you only have one foot on the ground less of a problem

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Have you been "Over the hills and far away" that long that it has taken you more than a year to decide that one foot on the ground is a better option?

Looks like it can strike the same place a year later. ?

Archived