Beer, ice-cream, chocolate etc in my diet

simon43

Since about February, I've been on a cardio exercise (cycling, swimming, jogging), gym work (to build/maintain muscle mass) and healthy diet (low fat, raw veg, fruit, kefir milk, nuts etc) programme.

I've dropped about 9 Kg (from 73 down to 64), my flab has all but disappeared, my abs are visible, my stamina is hugely improved, my heart rest rate is under 60, my blood work is all great, and I have increased my jogging ability from 100 metres to 7Km.

So that's all good news for me, and I'll continue this programme - I'm 58 BTW.

But I'd like to vary my food/drink intake with somethings that are more exciting than a raw carrot :)

When I started this programme, I was fairly ignorant about calories, fat, protein, carbs, heart zones etc.  Now I realise how important it is to understand my intake and body, if I want to stay fit and healthy.

I use a spreadsheet to monitor my calorie intake and ratio of fat, carbs and proteins, as well as my exercise routine, heart rate etc.

Logically, it seems to be that I should be able to re-introduce ice-cream, beer and chocolate into my weekly diet, so long as I keep my total calories in check, and maintain the same overall fat/protein/carbs ratios that are currently serving me well.

Are my assumptions correct?

I'm not thinking of excessive consumption.  Perhaps a bowl of ice-cream once a week, a couple of beers twice a week, a bar of choccie once a week.

Any reason not to indulge a little, now that I've dropped 95% of my target weight/fat?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 feet 7 inches, small/compact body, typical Thai male body size.  So my 'basic' BMI was at the top end of normal when I weighed 73Kg, and I looked fat.

64 Kg would make many Western guys look skinny, but I certainly don't and I still have a couple of Kgs of fat to lose on my stomach! (Although I expect my weight not to drop much more because my muscle mass is increasing through gym work).

BTW, the incentive for me to lose flab came about after some of the boys in my kindergarten class thought it was good fun to pat my fat stomach every time when I leaned over them in the classroom :)

Logically, it seems to be that I should be able to re-introduce ice-cream, beer and chocolate into my weekly diet, so long as I keep my total calories in check, and maintain the same overall fat/protein/carbs ratios that are currently serving me well.

Are my assumptions correct?

Yes, in general you are correct.

It will matter a tiny bit as carbs from one source is easier to digest than carbs from another source (sugar takes little effort and energy to absorb, while whole-wheat carbs will require a bit more of energy to process by your body), but it wont make any real difference in day-to-day life.

Basically every diet works the same: limit calorie intake with some nice story around it (no carbs, low fat, eat like a caveman, no sugar after 6PM, only milk before 3Am, etc).

As long as you stay at about the same caloric intake it won't matter much for your weight where those calories come from.

And smart to re-introduce those products you mention: not having any pleasures in life is making life worthless.

You should be able to stay on your target weight AND enjoy nice foods every now and then.

Simon, kind of sounds like the guy who quit cigarettes and now just wants to have one or two a week!

Suggest you substitute wine for beer in order to cut the carbs and skip items with sugar in them. You have done so well now why risk a relapse? 

There are many food items that are more interesting than a raw carrot but still healthy.

As for chocolate, a friend brings me the best ever chocolate from NZ and I indulge myself just one small piece at a time until the entire 500 g bar is gone in one hour. Best never to start !

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Yes, in general you are correct.

It will matter a tiny bit as carbs from one source is easier to digest than carbs from another source (sugar takes little effort and energy to absorb, while whole-wheat carbs will require a bit more of energy to process by your body), but it wont make any real difference in day-to-day life.

Basically every diet works the same: limit calorie intake with some nice story around it (no carbs, low fat, eat like a caveman, no sugar after 6PM, only milk before 3Am, etc).

As long as you stay at about the same caloric intake it won't matter much for your weight where those calories come from.

And smart to re-introduce those products you mention: not having any pleasures in life is making life worthless.

You should be able to stay on your target weight AND enjoy nice foods every now and then.

Yes,  If you control your calories you should have np problem maintaining your goals.  I lost 24 pounds several years ago and once I reached my goal I left starvation mode and went into maintenance mode.  I have one or two beers a week with a meal,  one or two scoops of ice cream a month, have a pizza now and then.  My weight fluctuates up and down by about two pounds from one day to the next.  I try not to eat anything after 8:00 PM though.

Thanks to all these replies.

Suggest you substitute wine for beer..

I already drink 1 small glass of Pinot Noir red wine every day, (good for the heart).  I have no intention of going overboard on the beer or sweet things - I have very strong self-control.  My plan was to maybe drink a small bottle of Myanmar beer once or twice a week.

As the previous poster commented, once I reach my target (of fat loss, not necessarily a weight target), I need to go into maintenance mode, or on my current diet and exercise regime, I will continue to lose more fat on my calorie-deficient diet.  So there is some availability to eat extra calories without increasing fat levels.

In any case, a healthy balance calorie balance can also be obtained by increasing cardio work.  My jogging burns up about 500 calories a day, and cycling another 200 or so calories. I never eat after 7pm.  My weight also fluctuates up and down, especially as I drink a lot of water in this heat.  

Beer, ice cream and chocolate are OK if you exercise immediately afterwards. Don't binge eat and your stomach wont stretch and give you the hungry feeling.

I now don't use my fridge and only keep a few noodles or nuts on hand at home, this stops me snacking too much and if I want something else It forces me to walk to the 7/11. Saves quite a lot on my power bill too as the fridge generates exterior heat which has to be neutralized by the a/c (which I advise to minimize the use of to acclimatise which makes exercising outdoors more bearable).

Mangoes are a great weight loss food, good fibre, easy to digest and great taste. Gods own fruit.  

Great job... here is the potential problem. Based on your diet, you are likely in a state of ketosis. The beer, ice cream, chocolate are all things that will throw you out of ketosis. The other and maybe larger problem is the change in habit. The items you mentioned will create cravings that go beyond just the initial calorie consumption. You begin creating new habits and it is not easy to go back to the former diet that produced the good results. 

So, though the initial one beer, might not be worth the risk you are taking. 

Good luck - - the weight does return easily if you revert back to old habits. 

What are your favourite meals that keep the carb/protein/fat intake balanced?

As I live alone, with minimal cooking facilities, I tend to eat the same meals every day.

My carb/protein/fat diet ratio is currently about 57/32/11% (because I am still losing fat off my stomach/love handles).

I eat about 2,000 calories per day now, but my body requirement is up to 3,000 calories, depending on how much cardio I do.

Breakfast:
Muesli with kefir milk

Lunch:
Raw veg salad that I prepare before cycling to work ==> chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sliced lettuce, mint leaves, red cabbage, chopped yellow pepper, pomegranite pips, sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, ground black pepper, with a probiotic yoghurt poured over the top (very tasty).

Pomelo slices

CP lean chicken slices (very difficult to find quality lean meat at my location)

Dinner:
Tuna or sardines
Kefir milk
1 small glass of red wine

Green tea, coffee and water throughout the day (2 cups of coffee, no sugar), 2 cups of green tea, 2-3 litres of water

Whey protein drink (sipped throughout the day)

Couple of rice crackers and walnuts as a snack during the day.

A banana or energy drink prior to gym work

At weekends, I have some eggs and a lean chicken meal - courtesy of my hotel.

I make the kefir milk myself every day (thanks to Tropo for advice about this).

Cycle home via the gym (alternate days on weight training and jogging/long run/fast run).

So I cycle about 15 Km every weekday, 25Km on Sunday.  I jog 6Km every other day, plus 1Km fast run every other day.  My weight training is simply to ensure that I don't look too puny in my upper body region - it's making a difference.... slowly!

16 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Simon, kind of sounds like the guy who quit cigarettes and now just wants to have one or two a week!

A Little Bite Won’t Hurt”: The Failure of Moderation

Suggest you substitute wine for beer in order to cut the carbs and skip items with sugar in them. You have done so well now why risk a relapse?

But not much. :(  And simon43 might go for the cheap fruit wines! :shock1:

Bourbon or scotch, neat = max taste-impact/calorie.

NO ICE CREAM.

As for chocolate, a friend brings me the best ever chocolate from NZ and I indulge myself just one small piece at a time until the entire 500 g bar is gone in one hour. Best never to start !

Very dark chocolate once in a while. Better: Hershey's Natural cocoa! Max flavonoid/cal. :)

As mentioned, I drink a small glass of Pinot Noir every evening.

I am very strong-willed when it comes to dieting.  I used to drink 3 large bottles of Myanmar most evenings, but was able to stop immediately, and the same for pizza etc.  There is no way that I will 'slide' if I eat some beer or ice-cream because it has been hard work to get my body into reasonable shape, (and I still have a couple of Kg of fat to lose from my stomach/love handles).

If the general consensus is that it's not  a good idea, then I can happily live with that - I don't have wet dreams about Hershey chocolate or Hagen Daas ice-cream.

If you have a blender or food processor you can always make similar to soft ice cream.  Frozen banana and frozen berries and a little milk or soy drink.  Just blend and that's about it.  Tastes pretty good.

Do an internet search for banana ice cream and you'll find various recipes.

2 hours ago, Taggart said:

If you have a blender or food processor you can always make similar to soft ice cream.  Frozen banana and frozen berries and a little milk or soy drink.  Just blend and that's about it.  Tastes pretty good.

Yes. Full fat Greek yoghurt, plain, w/ some berries is great. Want really sweet, add Stevia.

19 hours ago, chuang said:

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die. :post-4641-1156694572:

Live a balanced lifestyle. Taking up smoking helps weight loss. I figure if everything organ stops working at the same time I will have a quick death and optimized my life.

On 27/05/2017 at 11:18 AM, simon43 said:

As I live alone, with minimal cooking facilities, I tend to eat the same meals every day.

My carb/protein/fat diet ratio is currently about 57/32/11% (because I am still losing fat off my stomach/love handles).

I eat about 2,000 calories per day now, but my body requirement is up to 3,000 calories, depending on how much cardio I do.

Breakfast:
Muesli with kefir milk

Lunch:
Raw veg salad that I prepare before cycling to work ==> chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sliced lettuce, mint leaves, red cabbage, chopped yellow pepper, pomegranite pips, sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, ground black pepper, with a probiotic yoghurt poured over the top (very tasty).

Pomelo slices

CP lean chicken slices (very difficult to find quality lean meat at my location)

Dinner:
Tuna or sardines
Kefir milk
1 small glass of red wine

Green tea, coffee and water throughout the day (2 cups of coffee, no sugar), 2 cups of green tea, 2-3 litres of water

Whey protein drink (sipped throughout the day)

Couple of rice crackers and walnuts as a snack during the day.

A banana or energy drink prior to gym work

At weekends, I have some eggs and a lean chicken meal - courtesy of my hotel.

I make the kefir milk myself every day (thanks to Tropo for advice about this).

Cycle home via the gym (alternate days on weight training and jogging/long run/fast run).

So I cycle about 15 Km every weekday, 25Km on Sunday.  I jog 6Km every other day, plus 1Km fast run every other day.  My weight training is simply to ensure that I don't look too puny in my upper body region - it's making a difference.... slowly!

pretty freakin spot on! well done.

You deserve  to treat yourself sometimes. Indulge yourself with the foods that you ought to control for you also need to take a break at times with your strict diet and consider it as your cheat time. Well, I believe you just need to take control of the sweets you eat or the amount of alcohol you intake so that you will consume more that will somehow interrupt your diet already. Maybe you can have alternatives. For an instance you are craving for chocolates or other sweets, you may consider grabbing a healthy snack bar that's usually the snacks of many gym enthusiasts or instead of taking out a beer in the fridge, have a glass of wine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 8:05 PM, Taggart said:

I tried that the other day with mixed success:

I mixed a couple cups of non-fat yogurt together with frozen banana bits (2 bananas), added a bit of vanilla flavoring and blended them in my food processor. The resulting concoction came out of the blender almost like a milk shake consistency, which was fine, and it tasted quite good. That's the good news.

Now the bad news: I then put the mixture into a container and put it in the freezer to freeze like ice cream. A day later, the mixture inside my container has turned HARD, not hard like ice cream, but hard almost like that of an ice cube. Trying to scoop out or pry out a spoonful just doesn't work.

How can I get the frozen mixture to have a somewhat softer, more workable consistency?

I mixed a couple cups of non-fat yogurt together with frozen banana bits (2 bananas), added a bit of vanilla flavoring and blended them in my food processor. The resulting concoction came out of the blender almost like a milk shake consistency, which was fine, and it tasted quite good. That's the good news.

Now the bad news: I then put the mixture into a container and put it in the freezer to freeze like ice cream. A day later, the mixture inside my container has turned HARD, not hard like ice cream, but hard almost like that of an ice cube. Trying to scoop out or pry out a spoonful just doesn't work.

How can I get the frozen mixture to have a somewhat softer, more workable consistency?

The mixture contains water so yes, it will turn into an icecube.

If you want an icecream-like substance you will either need chemicals (thats how icecream manufactures do it) to keep it from freezing up or you need to freeze it shorter.

Try freezing it on a large aluminium dish for 10-15 minutes, take it out, spoon it around, and repeat. After several rounds it will be ice-cream like (or use a plastic container which takes a bit longer).

If thats too much work you need to buy an icecream machine as that will cool and stur at the same time.

I may well start a separate thread about this, but I'll make a brief mention here.  I've been doing a lot of checking and research lately, and oddly (or perhaps not oddly for Thailand), there seems to be virtually no healthy / low-fat / low sugar ice cream available in the stores or ice cream shops here.

Back home in the States, even some of the premium brands like Dreyers have come out with low fat and/or low-sugar premium ice creams, and there also are newer methods of making ice cream that allow the same premium product and taste, but without so much saturated fat. But forget finding any of that here, AFAICT. Just by comparison, just one scoop of premium ice cream can contain as much saturated fat as a big beef hamburger.

In checking the stores here, not only couldn't I find a single offering of any lower-fat and lower-sugar ice cream, but also not even any store-sold frozen yogurt (which tends to be lower in fat than ice cream because often non or low-fat yogurt is used as the base). None at Tesco, Big C, Villa, Foodland, Central, Tops, Paragon, etc etc.  Even most of the frozen yogurt shops don't even have any low-sugar or no-added-sugar varieties, though they're easily available outside LOS.

About the closest you can come are the various sherbet versions, which typically don't have milk fat, so they tend to be low in saturated fat, but they're often instead quite high in sugars because of the fruit/fruit juice content and flavoring that goes into them. And before any smart aleck comes back the predictable reply, you should know that it's perfectly possible these days to produce a very good, very tasty ice cream product that is NOT high in fat or sugar.

He He! What this thread needs is a "Devils Advocate". I have decided to volunteer:

- With how many "sure-fire" weight-loss" advertisings have we been bombarded in the last 50 years? A clear indication that they don't work is the fact that worldwide, people are getting more and more overweight.

WHY? If people get overweight, it means that they eat more than their body needs. The body stores this "un-needed" energy source  in form of fat. From an evolutionary standpoint, storing surplus energy in form of fat is an excellent idea. To bridge over "lean-times".

The "command-center" of how much someone eats is not located in the stomach, but in the brain. Depending on personality (Genes), the command-center in the brain (hunger or not so much hunger) is generally not opposed to the influx of more energy than needed. Excess energy beeing stored in form of fat, doing the Host a favor, making is easier for the Host to survive "lean-times". A perfect concept of nature.

Implying the following: Modern medicine will eventually find a way to "out-trick" the command-center in the brain (Hunger or not so much hunger), by injecting a biological computer-program, = not converting excess energy into fat (Bio-Engeneering). Until that happens, I suppose, we are condemned to stumble from one Yo-Yo diet to the next, because the "command-center"  in the brain will interpret any "feasting" as a "lean-time", that sooner or later will have to be counteracted by a re-accumulation of storable energy (fat). All to the benefit of the host, of course. Hence, Yo-Yo-effect, eternally.

Evolution was not prepared, that at some time in the future, oversupply of food on a uninterrupted basis, wold ever become the rule, instead of the exeption. At least in some parts of the world.

Of course, alert readers of this post may ask: "So where does the excess-energy go, if not being converted into fat?"
I can only speculate. But I would make shure that my wife and children are off the streets after sunset.:saai:

Just acting as a devils advocate, I think I have done quite well.
Cheers.   

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You need to stir the mixture before it freezes into a block. Put it into the freezer for 30 mins then stir it thoroughly. Put it back into the freezer for 60 mins then stir it thoroughly. Repeat a couple more times.

This will introduce more air into the mixture and make it more like icecream and less like ice.

Adding a little bit of salt to the original mixture will also help.

I make my own kefir yoghurt - start a batch every evening, it is thick yogurt by the morning, ready to drink a glass for breakfast.

I put the remaining kefir yogurt in the freezer, then enjoy a frozen yogurt with some fresh fruit topping when I get back from work.

Archived