Cambodian VOA at Hat Lek / Koh Kong

I'm planning to cross into Cambodia at Hat Lek / Koh Kong on 5jun2017 (then travel one week in Cambodia and leave via Pailin). What is the current visa-on-arrival situation, do they accept 30 USD or want a bribe or request to pay in THB at a rate that is much more expensive than 30 USD?

Some of such scams are mentioned in this thread posts 12 and 35.

Alternatively, I could go to the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok (far out, but I know my way around), where I would either have to pay express or come back the following day (huge waste of time and transport costs). A friend has been recently and said he paid 1100 THB for the visa and 100 THB for express (10 minutes wait) and 200 THB for a passport picture. But the visa he showed me says "30 USD" (currently 1021 THB). Side note: I couldn't find a website of the Cambodian embassy in Bangkok. At least opening times and comments (mainly about rude service and overcharging) on google maps.

I don't like the idea of e-visa (and with processing fees and exchange rates - my credit card is in EUR - it might cost even more than VOA with all bribes, and I rather wait 30 min at the border than fumble 30 min on the internet - and then go somewhere to print it out).

My experiences Hat Lek from Cambodia into Thailand were positive:

This crossing has a reputation for asking for payment in Thai baht (rounded up in their favor) and/or wanting additional payment. If you make it clear you know the correct price and insist on $30 and hold firm you will probably get through eventually but it may delay matters by as much as a few hours. Up to you if that is worth it.

never been delayed crossing there, or asked for anything..5 minutes at most

ask for a voa application, fill it out, hand them a $10 & $20 and 1 photo, sit down .  I have heard some not in the know and not in possession of US$,  have to pay 1,200 baht (same at Poi Pet)

Dont forget to get your new visa stamped as its not the same office.   at immigration .my Cambodia gf is ALWAYS asked for 100 baht to get them to stamp her in go figure

• 3 weeks later...

Visa on arrival at land border scam

When we arrive at Hat Yeam Mon 5jun2017 shortly after 8 am, already busy with locals crossing (but only short queues). Opening times 6-22 are posted at the border crossing. Stamp out Thailand 8:11, stamp in Cambodia 8:30.

I was aware that there are scams running, but didn’t have details. When applying for visa on arrival at Cham Yeam (in a room with table and chair, whereas the arrival/departure form and passport was handed through a window while I was standing outside), I was asked for 1600 THB (47 USD), and without saying a word, I handed them 30 USD. Then I was presented with an officially looking document (about A4 paper laminated, with signs of wear and tear), that said something like “Ministry of …, Announcement on …, Visa is 30 USD + 7 USD processing fee, stamp, signature” which I was not prepared for. The idea to ask to take a picture came to my mind, but I dismissed it. I should have asked to take a picture! And show them my old passport with previous visas from Phnom Penh airport with 30 USD stamped in. But I was flabbergasted and handed them a 50 USD note and received 13 USD change. My visa sticker does not have the price stamp.

That announcement was for e-visa not visa on arrival. People do report managing to pay only $30 at this crossing but it requires standing firm and will lead to delays in getting processed. Up to you if worth the hassle.

At Poipet the scams work as follows (not counting the fake "health certificate" folk who are easily ignored);

- whenever there is enough of a crowd they offer "VIP" service for about 300 baht, everyone who pays it gets processed first while the others are stuck at the back of the line for what can become a very long wait. Obviously this scam is only possible if thete are a fair number if people there. Otherwise they rely on:

Leafing through your passport at snail speed in obvious hope you'll grease their palm. They will even repeat the process from 1st page to last several times. If they can find any pretext at all they'll pull you aside and claim there is a problem with your passport (for example if thete are old visas that have fallen off as tends to happen with Cambodian visas). It is possible to stand your ground through all of this and eventually get stamped in but it will delay you.

I  repeat again, I have never been asked to pay more than $30 and never had to wait other than normal time to process the visa.

In the past year have entered at Osmach (last july), Koh Kong- Cham Yeam , (last Dec), Poi Pet ( this April) 

all visas are stamped $30

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually in my experience what they ask for is 1000 baht (about $35) and people have trouble getting any change back from that. But if you have $30 in USD they should accept it.

I am not sure you are quite up to date, Sheryl.

1. 1000 Baht is $30.19 (at median rates!) so in a perfect world you would only be getting 19 cents change which is 770 Riel.

2. They will ask for 1500 to 1700 Baht.

Are you thinking of the old days when the visa was $20?

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Actually in my experience what they ask for is 1000 baht (about $35) and people have trouble getting any change back from that. But if you have $30 in USD they should accept it.

Sorry but really wrong. They ask 1500 thb, not 1000 !

This is why paying in $ is the best solution, but they also try to refuse...

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I am not sure you are quite up to date, Sheryl.

1. 1000 Baht is $30.19 (at median rates!) so in a perfect world you would only be getting 19 cents change which is 770 Riel.

2. They will ask for 1500 to 1700 Baht.

Are you thinking of the old days when the visa was $20?

Exactly ! But they never dare to ask me more than 1500 and I never paid more than $35 (with a smile).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 4:31 PM, phuketrichard said:

I  repeat again, I have never been asked to pay more than $30 and never had to wait other than normal time to process the visa.

In the past year have entered at Osmach (last july), Koh Kong- Cham Yeam , (last Dec), Poi Pet ( this April) 

all visas are stamped $30

For tourist visas, it's normally not a big effort to get the official price. However, it's tough getting the official price for ordinary (business visas) at Koh Kong, no matter how nicely you play it they will want an extra $5-10 on top of the official price, reasoning that you need official documents to be afforded the "real" price (which, despite the government starting to make it tougher to get an extension of stay is not true for most nationalities). That's been my experience at Cham Yeam (Koh Kong). Other checkpoints like Poipet, no problems getting the official price on ordinary visas.

• 4 months later...

Yesterday, 21-Feb-2018, at Cham Yeam Border I was told by the immigration official that I had to get the "fake" health check certificate (20 baht) or he would not process my e-visa.
I assume that it also applied to anyone wanting a VOA.

The health check is just a man pointing the laser thermometer at you at the counter to the left of the immigration windows.
On previous visits it was obviously bogus and not an official looking document but this time it actually looked more "official" and they even bother to stamp it with the date.

It may well be a requirement as it is in other Asian countries but the payment is just a con.

• 1 month later...

Not a complaint about the 20 baht just a complaint that I had to leave the queue at the immigration window to go and get this pointless piece of paper and then queue again which added 40 minutes to my entry processing.
Last year when I was at the same crossing I got the "health check" before queueing at the entry window and handed it over with my passport but the health check was given back immediately and I was told that it wasn't needed.
This time when I handed over the passport without the health check the official told me to go and get it as it is required.
Just giving people the heads up on the current situation.

On 22/02/2018 at 5:03 AM, GJBTH said:

Yesterday, 21-Feb-2018, at Cham Yeam Border I was told by the immigration official that I had to get the "fake" health check certificate (20 baht) or he would not process my e-visa.
I assume that it also applied to anyone wanting a VOA.

The health check is just a man pointing the laser thermometer at you at the counter to the left of the immigration windows.
On previous visits it was obviously bogus and not an official looking document but this time it actually looked more "official" and they even bother to stamp it with the date.

It may well be a requirement as it is in other Asian countries but the payment is just a con.

If you enter Vietnam at Ha Tien without a vaccination form they put the laser on you and charge a dollar.

Maybe there's some secret Cambodian disease.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:31 AM, my friend I said:

If you enter Vietnam at Ha Tien without a vaccination form they put the laser on you and charge a dollar.

Maybe there's some secret Cambodian disease.

Nonsense. There are no vaccinations required to enter Vietnam other than the yellow fever vax if you have been in an endemic area within the last 6 days ONLY. However, this does not apply if you are entering overland. They may ask you if you arrive by air, but it's unlikely as there are no direct flights from endemic countries in Africa and South America to Vietnam. Generally speaking only citizens of countries where yellow fever is endemic may be asked for a yellow fever cert. when entering Vietnam.

I have entered Vietnam at Ha Tien. There was no health form when I went through last time but if they charge you a dollar for a laser thingy now then not a big deal, just another scam. Last year I went to Vietnam twice overland from Cambodia (not Ha Tien) and unlike the Cambodians, there is no health check scam. In past years in the aftermath of the bird flu "pandemic" which wasn't a pandemic there were temperature sensors at some border crossings, though I don't recall any at any land border crossings, only at the airport. China is the only country in the region where I recall these sensors being in place at every border crossing, land/sea/airport and they continue to be used at present.

Cambodia also only operates the health scam at some border crossings, not all. Koh Kong is one (if you arrive by car you are unlikely to be asked) and Poipet is another, but they always target westerners and never locals.

12 hours ago, jimster said:

Nonsense. There are no vaccinations required to enter Vietnam other than the yellow fever vax if you have been in an endemic area within the last 6 days ONLY. However, this does not apply if you are entering overland. They may ask you if you arrive by air, but it's unlikely as there are no direct flights from endemic countries in Africa and South America to Vietnam. Generally speaking only citizens of countries where yellow fever is endemic may be asked for a yellow fever cert. when entering Vietnam.

I have entered Vietnam at Ha Tien. There was no health form when I went through last time but if they charge you a dollar for a laser thingy now then not a big deal, just another scam. Last year I went to Vietnam twice overland from Cambodia (not Ha Tien) and unlike the Cambodians, there is no health check scam. In past years in the aftermath of the bird flu "pandemic" which wasn't a pandemic there were temperature sensors at some border crossings, though I don't recall any at any land border crossings, only at the airport. China is the only country in the region where I recall these sensors being in place at every border crossing, land/sea/airport and they continue to be used at present.

Cambodia also only operates the health scam at some border crossings, not all. Koh Kong is one (if you arrive by car you are unlikely to be asked) and Poipet is another, but they always target westerners and never locals.

It is not nonsense. I am talking about now not sometime in the distant past. There is a printed form that everyone is required to complete.

They also spray the tyres and bottom of any vehicles entering Vietnam.

4 hours ago, my friend I said:

It is not nonsense. I am talking about now not sometime in the distant past. There is a printed form that everyone is required to complete.

They also spray the tyres and bottom of any vehicles entering Vietnam.

I went there recently and there is no such rule. It's only for yellow fever period.

• 6 months later...

The health scam that has being going on for years is still there at koh Kong, cheeky sods have even built an official looking shed, they asked me for 20bht as usual and as usual declined. I went up to the window to get my e visa stamped and the bloke promptly closed it, went to another and got behind a family who were taking forever to get stamped in, they are no better than your average gangster at koh Kong, I never got in for less than 1500 bht or $40 in the 10year I been using this border, always use e visa these days.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

yes,  me and thousands others who  get suckered daily, you  must  have connections getting  away  with  paying the correct  fee. One time when they  tried to  charge  me $30 when it was $ 20 for the visa a while  ago, I said  no,  only  pay 20, they  took  me inside the Hut. 4 of em,(IO allegedly) and were very intimidating dressed in there white vests, when I tried to look at the visa  stickers  cos  I knew it was $20 not 30 , they threw my passport  back at me and said go back to Thailand, can't go to Cambodia!! I went  back to the Thai  border, they  said you can't come back  without a Cambodia in out stamp, went back to the  Cambodia border, this time they accepted $20 for the visa, someone  made a phone call obviously, as I said  before , Absolute <deleted> at koh Kong Cambodian border. 

Please keep it civil.

There have been literally dozens of reports from dozens of different people of scams and rip offs at that particular crossing.

It does seem to go a little better if you have the correct amount in USD but even so, people do regularly get shaken down for more or else have to spend a lot of time arguing.  I very much doubt it is due to their appearance or manner given the sheer numbers reporting this.

Archived