Phuket Police formally charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson

rooster59

Phuket Police formally charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson 

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1495875470_1-org.jpg

British national Danny Glass (left, in green shirt) obscures his face at Thalang Police Station today (May 27). Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: British national Danny Glass from Kent, England, presented himself at Thalang Police Station, in central Phuket, today (May 27) to be formally charged with reckless driving causing death.

Mr Glass arrived at Thalang Police Station shortly after 2pm. The charges are for the fatal road accident that resulted in the death of his long-term partner Sophie Emma Rose Anderson also from England.

During formal proceedings today, Mr Glass obscured his face and declined to speak with reporters.

Ms Anderson, who was six months pregnant, was riding pillion on a motorbike when she spilled onto Thepkrasattri Rd in Thalang and was crushed by an 18-wheeled truck on May 8, leaving her 5-year-old son Shaye without his mother.

The driver of the truck  Nattawoot Kimchue, 30, from Phang Nga Province  initially fled the scene but later surrendered himself to police. He was also charged with reckless driving by Thalang police today.

After the accident Danny posted a video on YouTube as part of his initial steps in overcoming his devastating grief. In clarifying how the accident happened, Mr Glass explained, “I went to brake because a car all of a sudden braked in front of me. The bike slid, like wobbled. I tried to stabilise it, but I wasn’t been able to. It’s two people on a scooter, it’s a very difficult thing to do – and the bike slid to the right side.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-formally-charge-british-boyfriend-for-death-of-sophie-anderson-62336.php#D28mybZfwwGYpDhX.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-28

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been through this before with the Aussie and the Jet Ski. One hopes this guy too will get a suspended sentence and a small fine and be on his way.

I don't view the nature of his driving as reckless per se. He was simply inexperienced so reacted badly to an incident, though some might say riding a bike in Thailand is reckless itself. Whatever, it is a tragedy already, sending the guy to jail would just compound that.

Utterly ridiculous and unnecessary. The same standards are not applied across the board (Red bull a-hole, Praewa, Anna Reese,drunken ChMai cyclist killer, and the pickup driver fined1000 baht for mowing down 2 cyclists while leaning down to get his hat off the floor).

All I see here is a pathetic flexing of muscles and abuse of power.

I wonder what investigation was undertaken to reach a conclusion of reckless driving. I suspect minimal at best.

An utter disgrace imo (the singling out of certain people i mean)

Cars cutting in front of motorcycles I see all the time cause motorcycles to slide...

Sadly this time the luck was not with the motorcycle drivers....

This was just a sad tragic accident, that only hit the news because farrangs was involved and the woman was pregnant...

60 % of fatal accidents are with motorcycles and prob. 99% of the people that die is Thais but nobody want to read about them....

RIP

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

We've been through this before with the Aussie and the Jet Ski. One hopes this guy too will get a suspended sentence and a small fine and be on his way.

I don't view the nature of his driving as reckless per se. He was simply inexperienced so reacted badly to an incident, though some might say riding a bike in Thailand is reckless itself. Whatever, it is a tragedy already, sending the guy to jail would just compound that.

I agree with you.....except going into a wobble as a result of having to brake suddenly in an emergency .....to me would not necessarily denote innexperience........I see professionals going into wobbles constantly in races.....although they are travelling at high speed.

I myself have been reducing my speed of late (from about 50 klm to 40) it seems to me that the driving standards are getting worse in Thailand if anything........not better.

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Clearluky he needed to be charged with the death. But he is no so cocky now. Before on Facebook.  No w hiding his face. Says it all ....

That is unfair. The facts of the case were not even established properly. It was  not intentional on his part. A critical part of a criminal case is to show intent to do harm and it just  wasn't there. The deceased was the mother of his child. Yes, he may have made an error, but this isn't about punishing him, but of saving face. The Thai who was responsible is charged too, but the charges against Mr. Glass allow the locals to save face and for  Phuket to avoid taking responsibility for its unsafe road conditions and the fact that the drivers are incompetent and dangerous.

Any chance that your view is biased because of  this man's former dreadlocks, tacky tattoos and flaky lifestyle? I make no bones about not  having any use for people like Mr. Glass, but I don't advocate for their being harassed and  persecuted like this. The man is suffering. The two families are suffering. The woman died a painful horrid in his presence. He has to live with that. 

I don't see anything unusual in formally charging both drivers.

What would happen in your country in such a case?

The video evidence that I have seen clearly ridicule his statements:

I went to brake because a car all of a sudden braked in front of me.

No sudden/hard break in front of him. Slow traffic on the left lane, that's all. He simply "woke up late".

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Clearluky he needed to be charged with the death. But he is no so cocky now. Before on Facebook.  No w hiding his face. Says it all ....

The guy was staying in Thailand as an illegal worker, he shouldn`t had been here anyway. If he felt non proficient on riding a motor bike, as said in his own statement; "It’s two people on a scooter, it’s a very difficult thing to do" then he was negligent in taking his girlfriend as a passenger and placing her life at risk.

And as you say; why is he hiding his face in shame if this guy believes he shares no blame in this whatsoever, that does say it all. Very unfortunate for the pregnant girlfriend who placed her trust in a complete incompetent that has shattered so many lives. Shame it wasn`t the other way around and she survived the crash instead of him.

4 hours ago, z42 said:

The same standards are not applied across the board (Red bull a-hole, Praewa, Anna Reese,drunken ChMai cyclist killer, and the pickup driver fined1000 baht for mowing down 2 cyclists while leaning down to get his hat off the floor).

The procedure applies to the infamous "Thai judicial double pricing System for farrangs" 

An accident is an accident and it might very well be that he couldn't do better in the situation - but who the heck in his right mind lets his 6 months pregnant gf ride pillion on a motorbike in Thailand?? (and especially Phuket)

His lack of judgement is the root cause to this total tragedy. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life - much worse than any punishment a Thai court can come up with.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The driver of the truck  Nattawoot Kimchue, 30, from Phang Nga Province  initially fled the scene but later surrendered himself to police. He was also charged with reckless driving by Thalang police today.

Yes and now we have a tale of two trials. Will they be similar? Highly doubt it. 

An accident is a series of intended or unintended behaviors leading to a bad outcome...

an accident is not just an accident...

should this case be a charge of multiple deaths?

both should be tried together    Since the charge is the same  with an additional charge of fleeing the scene for the truck driver...

that said putting my legal background to use....what actually killed her the spill of hitting the pavement or being run over?

yes same charge but different verdicts by a competent judge?

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

The more serious the charge; the higher the extortion demand. It's all about money.

BINGO.  He must have declined to pay the initial bribe as it was too expensive for him.  They are now negotiating to find a solution that makes the police look good and still lines their pockets.  

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

That is unfair. The facts of the case were not even established properly. It was  not intentional on his part. A critical part of a criminal case is to show intent to do harm and it just  wasn't there. The deceased was the mother of his child. Yes, he may have made an error, but this isn't about punishing him, but of saving face. The Thai who was responsible is charged too, but the charges against Mr. Glass allow the locals to save face and for  Phuket to avoid taking responsibility for its unsafe road conditions and the fact that the drivers are incompetent and dangerous.

Any chance that your view is biased because of  this man's former dreadlocks, tacky tattoos and flaky lifestyle? I make no bones about not  having any use for people like Mr. Glass, but I don't advocate for their being harassed and  persecuted like this. The man is suffering. The two families are suffering. The woman died a painful horrid in his presence. He has to live with that. 

I agree it was an unfortunate accident, he would never had intended it. Perhaps caused by poor driving. Would it had happened if he was driving more cautiously ? That's the way the Thai courts will consider the case.  I cannot agree it has anything to do with Thais saving face. That's nonsense.

I have no idea what Mr Glass looks like or his lifestyle.  I only saw his facebook video, and the second video displayed not a shread of remorse or suffering during his video presentation.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

I agree with you.....except going into a wobble as a result of having to brake suddenly in an emergency .....to me would not necessarily denote innexperience........I see professionals going into wobbles constantly in races.....although they are travelling at high speed.

I myself have been reducing my speed of late (from about 50 klm to 40) it seems to me that the driving standards are getting worse in Thailand if anything........not better.

Can they get any worse? ??

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

No sudden/hard break in front of him. Slow traffic on the left lane, that's all. He simply "woke up late".

I couldn't see what happened from the video evidence, but its very hard to keep track of everything that's going on around you -  which is essential when riding a scooter, necessitating frequent glances in the rear view mirrors.

A quick glance in the rear view mirror can result in having to suddenly brake, when the vehicle in front has unexpectedly braked for one reason or another.  Its happened to me a few times.

Of course its easy to say that when this happens the rider wasn't keeping a safe distance, but in slow moving traffic keeping a safe distance becomes even more difficult as other vehicles cut into the 'safety gap' available....

I don't oppose your arguments.

In the end you could always come to the conclusion that you better not ride a bike in Thailand.

Avoid big/busy roads.

Don't have a pillion rider with you, as it adds much to the difficulty of handling in critical situations, extends the break distance etc.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Yes, I've also noticed that driving standards around Rawai/anywhere near Chalong circle are deteriorating :sad:.  Presumably because everyone gets bad-tempered/impatient at the Chalong Circle traffic jams?

Nothing to do with this tragedy obviously, but perhaps its the same throughout the island?

Why he hides now his face?i was under the impression that he loves the media attention and talking lots to us on utube about his personal situation and that things were looking good for him without one word for his passed away child and gf.

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't oppose your arguments.

In the end you could always come to the conclusion that you better not ride a bike in Thailand.

Avoid big/busy roads.

Don't have a pillion rider with you, as it adds much to the difficulty of handling in critical situations, extends the break distance etc.

I agree and (personally) avoid Chalong Circle/Chaofa West and East as much as possible nowadays.

Similarly, I've only ever once taken a pillion passenger (because I felt slightly stupid at being such a wimp when a friend was visiting) - and would never do so again!

But I'm in the fortunate situation of not having to share a 'bike, whereas others aren't as fortunate financially and/or they trust the rider enough to sit on the back.  Edit e.g. - When I first moved here, my brother and his wife frequently gave me lifts on the back of their scooters, and they were both good and experienced drivers so I felt relatively safe.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

In the US accidents are just accidents. As long as drivers have a license and mandatory liability insurance and there is no criminal violation (such as DUI or failure to obey traffic laws) no charges other than perhaps a cite & release are filed, negligence is paid by insurance. Example: at major intersections some municipalities still use traffic cameras and the fines are substantial so many drivers stop for yellow lights, then get rear ended. Technically the back driver could be at fault for failing to keep a safe distance and the driver that stopped unnecessarily could be faulted for that but it seldom happens usually insurance companies hash it out and both drivers are not charged and cover their own losses, injuries or not. But this example is why many cities are terminating contracts with traffic cam companies. They cause more dammage than they prevent. 

A very bad accident simple!

If this guy even gets a slap on his wrist it is more than he deserves, same as the aussie obviously loved his girlfriend and the punishment of losing her is more than a non understandable justice system can do to them.

The authorities should not be wasting their time on this and sort out other more important issues.

Such a tragic end to a holiday they were all enjoying in both cases. People should pay attention you need to be so careful when dealing with experiences you are not used to it could happen to anyone.

Sent from my C103 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The guy was staying in Thailand as an illegal worker, he shouldn`t had been here anyway. If he felt non proficient on riding a motor bike, as said in his own statement; "It’s two people on a scooter, it’s a very difficult thing to do" then he was negligent in taking his girlfriend as a passenger and placing her life at risk.

And as you say; why is he hiding his face in shame if this guy believes he shares no blame in this whatsoever, that does say it all. Very unfortunate for the pregnant girlfriend who placed her trust in a complete incompetent that has shattered so many lives. Shame it wasn`t the other way around and she survived the crash instead of him.

Agree that his statement "it's two people on a scooter, it's a very difficult thing to do" shows quite solidly that he knew he was inexperienced at least in driving with a second person on a motorcycle on what are very challenging roads, which  he must have known to be the case, having lived in Thailand. Thai police were correct in charging him as he made the decision to drive his girlfriend on such roads - knowing (based on his statement) that he didn't have the necessary skills. He didn't have control of the bike given the traffic conditions unless there was something wrong with the bike, causing it to go 'wobbly' when he braked. Now, I drive a motor cycle frequently in Phuket Town and vicinity and it's true, there are so many adverse situations that can arise with little warning  - a car door opening in the 'bike lane', for example, or a car parked mostly in the 'bike lane' (cars frequently travel in the bike lane so it's questionable whether or not any roadway in the area actually has an exclusive bike lane). Absent mechanical issues with his bike and coupled with his incriminating statement about his incompetence to drive with a second rider who was pregnant,  this poor unfortunate made the wrong decision to drive this pregnant woman on his bike in what likely were challenging traffic conditions (these roads are always challenging). Deciding to drive the girlfriend who was pregnant, and therefore, arguably, more vulnerable and possibly less agile than if she wasn't pregnant, together with his statement that "It's two people on a scooter, it's a very difficult thing to do" is very strong evidence that he would be guilty of at least negligent vehicular homicide, two counts.  Also, he clearly was driving too fast or too close behind the front car for him to safely and effectively control the bike in the event that the car in front braked or braked hard.  True, there is a fine line between the ability to keep up with the traffic flow, make quick but safe decisions, and going too slow so that it causes a potentially dangerous situation. But that is where the experience comes into play and he clearly lacked the skills necessary.

Agree that his statement "it's two people on a scooter, it's a very difficult thing to do" shows quite solidly that he knew he was inexperienced at least in driving with a second person on a motorcycle on what are very challenging roads, which  he must have known to be the case, having lived in Thailand. Thai police were correct in charging him as he made the decision to drive his girlfriend on such roads - knowing (based on his statement) that he didn't have the necessary skills. He didn't have control of the bike given the traffic conditions unless there was something wrong with the bike, causing it to go 'wobbly' when he braked. Now, I drive a motor cycle frequently in Phuket Town and vicinity and it's true, there are so many adverse situations that can arise with little warning  - a car door opening in the 'bike lane', for example, or a car parked mostly in the 'bike lane' (cars frequently travel in the bike lane so it's questionable whether or not any roadway in the area actually has an exclusive bike lane). Absent mechanical issues with his bike and coupled with his incriminating statement about his incompetence to drive with a second rider who was pregnant,  this poor unfortunate made the wrong decision to drive this pregnant woman on his bike in what likely were challenging traffic conditions (these roads are always challenging). Deciding to drive the girlfriend who was pregnant, and therefore, arguably, more vulnerable and possibly less agile than if she wasn't pregnant, together with his statement that "It's two people on a scooter, it's a very difficult thing to do" is very strong evidence that he would be guilty of at least negligent vehicular homicide, two counts.  Also, he clearly was driving too fast or too close behind the front car for him to safely and effectively control the bike in the event that the car in front braked or braked hard.  True, there is a fine line between the ability to keep up with the traffic flow, make quick but safe decisions, and going too slow so that it causes a potentially dangerous situation. But that is where the experience comes into play and he clearly lacked the skills necessary.

What difference would the pregnant girlfriends 'agility' made in this accident?

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived