BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Phuket Police formally charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson

2 hours ago, Redline said:

Let's see what the results are.  Charges mean nothing here because it is a negotiation with the police right?  If real charges were brought against all motorists, don't you think traffic deaths would decrease, and not increase?  My tire blew out, my breaks failed, I work 2 jobs, my family needs money...and these excuses fly even though people die, and the penalties are minimal.  Do you drive here?  I have been run off the road many times.  People have slammed on their brakes in front of me many times because they were following too close, or sleeping, or someone pulled in front of them without looking.  His pregnant wife died, leave him alone.  I truly doubt that a Thai whose wife died would be charged at all.  It's just bad luck, not a <deleted> up.  I have a Thai wife, but give me a break :post-4641-1156694572:

I"ve read your post several times and I have to admit that I've no clue what you're talking about.

"His pregnant wife died, leave him alone" ?

In answer to your question, I"ve been driving here for over 20 years. I've been fortunate not to have any accidents resulting in death but the two accidents that I have had both involving motorbikes were both resolved quickly and at no point did the police treat me any differently than the Thai people involved. On both occasions the Thai's were ordered to pay costs for the damage done to my car and that was that.My nationality was never mentioned , just that I had a relevant driving license and insurance.

"I truly doubt that a Thai whose wife died would be charged at all"

Why do you continue to perpetuate these urban myths that foreigners  are always wrong and Thai's are always right?

On 5/28/2017 at 2:46 PM, JustNo said:

Shame on you BiB, you let Thais get away with murder in the form of reckless driving in cases FAR worse than this, but when a farang is involved you have no qualms in locking him up, leaving a 5 year old now without a mother and a father. This man had been through enough, his life is in tatters, and now you throw the book at him when there wasn't much 'recklessness'  in this case as it is. I forgot, he isn't minted and you didn't get a brown envelope on your desk. Sort it out Thailand, you are a shambles when it comes to 'justice' 

Err, he hasn't been locked up, the child is by another man and why would there be brown envelopes with it being a farang that died.

Some of you need to unstrap the tinfoil hats.

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

The vehicles did brake. But not just the vehicle in front of the bike. You can see the vehicles in front slowing down in succession, but not coming to an actual stop.  First a small white car, then a silver pickup with tarpaulin and then the white pickup.  The small white car began to brake at least five seconds before the incident, at 21 seconds. So by the time we see the white pickup, traffic has slowed considerably.

I viewed the footage frame by frame. 

There are some dashes on the central divider. Sophie can be seen on the ground in between the four and fifth dash. None of  the three vehicles in front went past that point at speed. So the traffic in that lane had already slowed down before Danny reached that point.

In the first pic the vehicles had already slowed down, moving at around 10 miles per hour. No sign of the bike.

In the second pic you can see a motorcycle emerging, still metres from the back of the white pickup. Not clear if that is them or not.  After that the bike disappears, being overtaken by the truck in the other lane. 

The white pick-up doesn't actually stop, it is moving with the flow of traffic in it's lane.

It takes quite some torque for a bike to wobble and slide on braking, unless the tyres are over inflated and the surface slippery.

If over-inflated tyres, he would have noticed that beforehand and adjusted his riding style accordingly or simply let some air out of the tyres.

He certainly hasn't mentioned anything regarding a slippery road surface.

So either his approach was too fast or he tried and failed to manoeuvre between the truck and pickup.

3.jpg

2.jpg

He never tried to manoeuvre between the truck and the pickup, and that is clear in the video.

11 days ago this was posted on another thread;

His words here which tie in exactly as you see in the video;

“I was driving straight forward – I didn’t go around a parked car – and literally I went to brake because a car all of a sudden braked in front of me.
“The bike slid, like wobbled. I tried to stabilise it, but I wasn’t been able to. It’s two people on a scooter, it’s a very difficult thing to do – and the bike slid to the right side.”
After quickly picking himself up off the road, Mr Glass turned around to witness the horrific image of the truck running over Ms Anderson."

1 hour ago, Goldieinkathu said:

two accidents that I have had both involving motorbikes were both resolved quickly and at no point did the police treat me any differently than the Thai people involved. On both occasions the Thai's were ordered to pay costs

Your going to blow the minds of a lot of ThaiVisa posters with your statement, as in there minds they have the victim mentality.

All interactions I've had with Thai Police have been the same, always friendly, respectful, professional and they really didn't care where anyone was from, as we were all treated the same way.

Another perspective - from the vegan subculture. 

11 hours ago, happyas said:

He never tried to manoeuvre between the truck and the pickup, and that is clear in the video.

11 days ago this was posted on another thread;

His words here which tie in exactly as you see in the video;

“I was driving straight forward – I didn’t go around a parked car – and literally I went to brake because a car all of a sudden braked in front of me.
“The bike slid, like wobbled. I tried to stabilise it, but I wasn’t been able to. It’s two people on a scooter, it’s a very difficult thing to do – and the bike slid to the right side.”
After quickly picking himself up off the road, Mr Glass turned around to witness the horrific image of the truck running over Ms Anderson."

I know what he wrote...but as we can see, it was not "all of a sudden"....unless he wasn't paying attention in the first place or just moving too fast.

On 28/05/2017 at 10:43 AM, geriatrickid said:

That is unfair. The facts of the case were not even established properly. It was  not intentional on his part. A critical part of a criminal case is to show intent to do harm and it just  wasn't there. The deceased was the mother of his child. Yes, he may have made an error, but this isn't about punishing him, but of saving face. The Thai who was responsible is charged too, but the charges against Mr. Glass allow the locals to save face and for  Phuket to avoid taking responsibility for its unsafe road conditions and the fact that the drivers are incompetent and dangerous.

Any chance that your view is biased because of  this man's former dreadlocks, tacky tattoos and flaky lifestyle? I make no bones about not  having any use for people like Mr. Glass, but I don't advocate for their being harassed and  persecuted like this. The man is suffering. The two families are suffering. The woman died a painful horrid in his presence. He has to live with that. 

Another critical part of that criminal case is to demonstrate that he acted in a safe way rather than in a careless, unsafe and dangerous manner, even if intent wasn't proved and I think that's the basis of the police action - what would we classify it as in the West, manslaughter, death through negligence, dangerous driving resulting in death.

24 minutes ago, nausea said:

Ludicrous.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Ludicrous.

Agreed, a fruit cake!

36 minutes ago, nausea said:

He doesn't really get to the point until around 13.20....

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Ludicrous.

To be fair, he makes a good point when he accuses certain people of creating fetish content.  But that's about it.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Agreed, a fruit cake!

This guy would have to be 10 times as unhinged a nutter than the nutters he's raving on about.

The Danny guy, also, i have heard is a recovering drug addict , add to the mix that he saw from very close proximity the mother of his unborn child killed in a very horrific manner would IMO make him very, or even more mentally unstable.

That sight will be with him forever and tho' i don't like the guy i feel for him immensely in this aspect.

This can explain a lot of his more bizarre actions post crash.

16 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I"ve read your post several times and I have to admit that I've no clue what you're talking about.

"His pregnant wife died, leave him alone" ?

In answer to your question, I"ve been driving here for over 20 years. I've been fortunate not to have any accidents resulting in death but the two accidents that I have had both involving motorbikes were both resolved quickly and at no point did the police treat me any differently than the Thai people involved. On both occasions the Thai's were ordered to pay costs for the damage done to my car and that was that.My nationality was never mentioned , just that I had a relevant driving license and insurance.

"I truly doubt that a Thai whose wife died would be charged at all"

Why do you continue to perpetuate these urban myths that foreigners  are always wrong and Thai's are always right?

OK, they weren't married.  He should be executed!