Phuket Police formally charge British boyfriend for death of Sophie Anderson

rooster59

1 hour ago, paz said:

Reasoning like you do there would be no road code, just criminal law. 

Typical thinking of the hang them high brigade, which can't grasp the concept of intent as well many other that fortunately exist in law.

What has intent to do with it? We are writing about responsibility.  

The "hang 'em high' nonsense comes from you. You seems to have a habit of attempting to label people who disagree with your point of view, as "haters". That is sad.

I note that he mentions that he didn't exceed the speed limit. That's not the same as "moving with the flow of traffic" or "proceeding slowly".

If the speed limit there is 60km/hr, that is too fast for the traffic that is seen in the CCTV.

So how fast were you going, Danny? 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JamJar said:

What has intent to do with it? We are writing about responsibility.  

The "hang 'em high' nonsense comes from you. You seems to have a habit of attempting to label people who disagree with your point of view, as "haters". That is sad.

We "who"? One guy mentioned "on purpose". Another (was it you? not sure anymore), "criminal element". They appears unable to distinguish between a common road accident, and one provoked by continued, seriously negligent approach.

In this type of attitude I perceive -if you allow me- a very negative range of feelings (sad is very right indeed), that goes from uncalled and uninformed accusation, to straight hate, intended as the desire for someone else to suffer. And I as others like to use the phrase that tickled you so much, "hang them high brigade" to be quickly and unequivocally understood.

Fortunately, these forum characters will never be prosecutor or jury in any trial, not here and not in their home country. And I don't think that there will be any trial about this tragic accident either.

24 minutes ago, paz said:

We "who"? One guy mentioned "on purpose". Another (was it you? not sure anymore), "criminal element". They appears unable to distinguish between a common road accident, and one provoked by continued, seriously negligent approach.

In this type of attitude I perceive -if you allow me- a very negative range of feelings (sad is very right indeed), that goes from uncalled and uninformed accusation, to straight hate, intended as the desire for someone else to suffer. And I as others like to use the phrase that tickled you so much, "hang them high brigade" to be quickly and unequivocally understood.

Fortunately, these forum characters will never be prosecutor or jury in any trial, not here and not in their home country. And I don't think that there will be any trial about this tragic accident either.

Someone suggested that "he didn't do it on purpose".  What kind of nonsensical statement is that?

No one suggested that he was trying to murder Sophie and the unborn child. But the fact is that his actions caused it.

Not, as his claim, the vehicle in front braking sharply. His words "“I went to brake because a car all of a sudden braked in front of me."

We can see from the CCTV footage that is not the case.  So who is uniformed? I utilise my experience as a motorcycle rider, alongside the CCTV footage.

This is rider error. No one else to blame. 

Apart from that, the man appears totally disingenuous. Narcisstic to the point of disgusting.

He said he would stop the video blogs "until the time was right". That didn't take long did it?

Calling people "haters" is hardly a positive reaction to those who have a different perspective to yours.

I have my perspective and you have yours. Live and let live.

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Someone suggested that "he didn't do it on purpose".  What kind of nonsensical statement is that?

It is simply the opposite of "on purpose", which is the nonsensical  defamatory accusation that you've been trumpeting against the man during all this thread.

Of course he did it on purpose.

on purpose
phrase of purpose
  1. 1.
    intentional

And then you get irked again at my usage of the word "hater", which I've explained before already, with perhaps too many words for you to understand.  

Time to drop it really, in this you're right.

10 minutes ago, paz said:

It is simply the opposite of "on purpose", which is the nonsensical  defamatory accusation that you've been trumpeting against the man during all this thread.

on purpose
phrase of purpose
  1. 1.
    intentional

And then you get irked again at my usage of the word "hater", which I've explained before already, with perhaps too many words for you to understand.  

Time to drop it really, in this you're right.

He caused the incident. His speed and approach were intentional. His braking, as he put it, was intentional. Responsibility. 

If someone is driving too fast, that is intentional. If that leaves them unable to manoeuvre successfully, they have only themselves to blame.

It is not reasonable to complain that for the other vehicles on the road......

One has to take into account your environment. So for me, his actions were intentional and the incident arose from them.

It's a matter of perspective. Mine perhaps different from yours.

I'm not irked by your usage of the Americanism "hater", as long as you don't keep repeating it ad nauseam.

8 hours ago, JamJar said:

What is the relevance of your post? Especially when you appear to agree with me that it is not the truck driver who is necessarily at fault and Mr Glass does not appear to suggest that the truck driver is at fault.

The CCTV(and his own words) proves conclusively that he wasn't trying to avoid a "parked car".

As to what he would be charged with in the UK that isn't the issue. I haven't broached the legal side of what has occurred. I have simply stated that he is at fault, not the car in front for "stopping suddenly" as Mr Glass appears to suggest.

So why exactly have you mentioned me in your post?

Read the previous threads where "this whole saga has already been done to death."  :smile:

5 hours ago, paz said:

Reasoning like you do there would be no road code, just criminal law. 

Typical thinking of the hang them high brigade, which can't grasp the concept of intent as well many other that fortunately exist in law.

Why does there need to be intent for it to be a punishable offence?

Does that mean If im speeding doing 180 km/h, and lose control of a vehicle killing your family, your cool with just saying "oh well, no intent soo just let them walk away".

Your the problem with the world today, letting ppl think they have no responsiblitly to their actions.

22 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes and now we have a tale of two trials. Will they be similar? Highly doubt it. 

Since one of them is to blame for the accident and the other is not, I really hope they are not similar.

18 hours ago, ianf said:

Such an unnecessary and sad comment. I know Danny and I know this guy is totally devastated. No need to be charged in this case. I wish him the best of luck under the so-called Thai 'justice' system.

He is to blame for the accident, which means in Thailand he will be charged. That is always the case.

18 hours ago, Nip said:

All over the Internet this man has been exposed by people who knew him. I would suggest those who support him do a quick search. His videos for eg that detail how he rode his motorbike recklessly have been taken down. However the videos of his girlfriend stating he scared her are still there because he can't remove them. His excuse for the accident changed from one video to the next. His first video hours after the accident is to cover his ass and shows no remorse in fact at the end he says ah well life goes on. This guy is a nasty piece of work and it's there for all to see.

"His first video hours after the accident is to cover his ass and shows no remorse in fact at the end he says ah well life goes on."

I don't know about the rest, but this statement is clearly not true. After the accident in his first video he admitted that he misbraked and the motorbike slid. A clear admission of guilt, and that video was full of remorse.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

"His first video hours after the accident is to cover his ass and shows no remorse in fact at the end he says ah well life goes on."

I don't know about the rest, but this statement is clearly not true. After the accident in his first video he admitted that he misbraked and the motorbike slid. A clear admission of guilt, and that video was full of remorse.

Yes remorse is a funny thing. We can flash it or stash it. 

This is Ghastly and just goes to show the inherent danger of riding a m/c in Thailand. The poor guy had to stop suddenly to avoid crashing into a car which had just suddenly stopped in front of him , his partner fell off and a truck ran over her. It was just a terrible accident for both truck driver and m/c driver. In my opinion, if anyone was to blame it was the car driver who hit his brakes, probably without bothering to look in his rear mirror.

On 5/28/2017 at 9:01 AM, LivinginKata said:

Clearluky he needed to be charged with the death. But he is no so cocky now. Before on Facebook.  No w hiding his face. Says it all ....

Yeah, lets all hope it happens to you or yours. 

On 5/28/2017 at 10:52 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I don't see anything unusual in formally charging both drivers.

What would happen in your country in such a case?

The video evidence that I have seen clearly ridicule his statements:

No sudden/hard break in front of him. Slow traffic on the left lane, that's all. He simply "woke up late".

Rubbish !  I see cars suddenly braking all the time, only yesterday whilst driving on the main road behind another car, the driver suddenly stopped, no signal, to allow a car to come out of a side Soi. Lucky for me i always keep a good distance. Most Thai drivers just do not know who has the "right of way"

10 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

This is Ghastly and just goes to show the inherent danger of riding a m/c in Thailand. The poor guy had to stop suddenly to avoid crashing into a car which had just suddenly stopped in front of him , his partner fell off and a truck ran over her. It was just a terrible accident for both truck driver and m/c driver. In my opinion, if anyone was to blame it was the car driver who hit his brakes, probably without bothering to look in his rear mirror.

.....and if it was a child that run out into the road, you'd check your rear-view mirror?

By the time you did check your mirror, it would probably be too late.

Just now, KarenBravo said:

.....and if it was a child that run out into the road, you'd check your rear-view mirror?

By the time you did check your mirror, it would probably be too late.

Dont be silly, that is an entirely different situation, think about it!

23 hours ago, PomPolo said:

A very bad accident simple!

If this guy even gets a slap on his wrist it is more than he deserves, same as the aussie obviously loved his girlfriend and the punishment of losing her is more than a non understandable justice system can do to them.

The authorities should not be wasting their time on this and sort out other more important issues.

Such a tragic end to a holiday they were all enjoying in both cases. People should pay attention you need to be so careful when dealing with experiences you are not used to it could happen to anyone.

Sent from my C103 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Its probably the chance of a good pay day.    You don't have to live here long to know all about that.

21 hours ago, JustNo said:

Shame on you BiB, you let Thais get away with murder in the form of reckless driving in cases FAR worse than this, but when a farang is involved you have no qualms in locking him up, leaving a 5 year old now without a mother and a father. This man had been through enough, his life is in tatters, and now you throw the book at him when there wasn't much 'recklessness'  in this case as it is. I forgot, he isn't minted and you didn't get a brown envelope on your desk. Sort it out Thailand, you are a shambles when it comes to 'justice' 

The 5 yr old has got a father, who came from Bangkok to take him back.

15 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Rubbish !  I see cars suddenly braking all the time, only yesterday whilst driving on the main road behind another car, the driver suddenly stopped, no signal, to allow a car to come out of a side Soi. Lucky for me i always keep a good distance. Most Thai drivers just do not know who has the "right of way"

"Lucky for me i always keep a good distance."

Which is what he should have done. Hit somebody from behind, and (with a few exceptions) you're legally at fault.

BTW, judging from earlier frequent discussions about that, most foreigners don't know who has the 'right of way'.

Isn't that your opinion?
It's a discussion forum and an opportunity to exchange information.
As long as everyone stays civil, why would you PomPolo, want the thread closed??

You are correct apologies I had a couple of beers on board whilst TVing which always makes me more 'opionated' :)

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, oldsailor35 said:

Yeah, lets all hope it happens to you or yours. 

Charming ... as it happens I had my bike accident with g/f on back many years ago. . Only drive a car here in Phuket these many years. Almost have my wife only drive her car, almost as she still likes to go to local market on her bike.

5 hours ago, happyas said:

Read the previous threads where "this whole saga has already been done to death."  :smile:

So why are you reading and posting on this thread??

2 hours ago, oldsailor35 said:

Have you watched the CCTV footage?? There was no sudden stop of the vehicle in front. That was just his story.

He 

2 hours ago, oldsailor35 said:

Watch the video, instead of swallowing the story of Mr Glass, hook line and sinker.

55 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Watch the video, instead of swallowing the story of Mr Glass, hook line and sinker.

I find the video not very clear, and not conclusive to me if the car braked suddenly yes or no. Does not really matter anyways, she and the child are dead, and suddenly braking car or not, he is to blame for the accident.

20 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

As the driver of the lorry was charged and is Thai along with Mr Glass who is English , how exactly is this a race issue?

Let's see what the results are.  Charges mean nothing here because it is a negotiation with the police right?  If real charges were brought against all motorists, don't you think traffic deaths would decrease, and not increase?  My tire blew out, my breaks failed, I work 2 jobs, my family needs money...and these excuses fly even though people die, and the penalties are minimal.  Do you drive here?  I have been run off the road many times.  People have slammed on their brakes in front of me many times because they were following too close, or sleeping, or someone pulled in front of them without looking.  His pregnant wife died, leave him alone.  I truly doubt that a Thai whose wife died would be charged at all.  It's just bad luck, not a <deleted> up.  I have a Thai wife, but give me a break :post-4641-1156694572:

That's from Coconuts and may indicate what he faces if he spoken guilty.

The case echoes an incident in early February when Australian tourist Thomas Keating, 22, was charged with reckless driving causing death after an accident that resulted in the death of his girlfriend Emily Jayne Collie, 20. The two crashed their separate jet-skis into each other off Kata Beach in southern Phuket.

Thomas Keating was handed down by court a two-year suspended jail sentence and fined THB5,000 for reckless driving causing death.

According to Section 291 of the Criminal Code, the maximum punishment that Glass could face for reckless driving causing death is a ten-year jail term and/or a fine of THB20,000. However, in practice, such cases more routinely result in smaller fines and suspended sentences.

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I find the video not very clear, and not conclusive to me if the car braked suddenly yes or no. Does not really matter anyways, she and the child are dead, and suddenly braking car or not, he is to blame for the accident.

The vehicles did brake. But not just the vehicle in front of the bike. You can see the vehicles in front slowing down in succession, but not coming to an actual stop.  First a small white car, then a silver pickup with tarpaulin and then the white pickup.  The small white car began to brake at least five seconds before the incident, at 21 seconds. So by the time we see the white pickup, traffic has slowed considerably.

I viewed the footage frame by frame. 

There are some dashes on the central divider. Sophie can be seen on the ground in between the four and fifth dash. None of  the three vehicles in front went past that point at speed. So the traffic in that lane had already slowed down before Danny reached that point.

In the first pic the vehicles had already slowed down, moving at around 10 miles per hour. No sign of the bike.

In the second pic you can see a motorcycle emerging, still metres from the back of the white pickup. Not clear if that is them or not.  After that the bike disappears, being overtaken by the truck in the other lane. 

The white pick-up doesn't actually stop, it is moving with the flow of traffic in it's lane.

It takes quite some torque for a bike to wobble and slide on braking, unless the tyres are over inflated and the surface slippery.

If over-inflated tyres, he would have noticed that beforehand and adjusted his riding style accordingly or simply let some air out of the tyres.

He certainly hasn't mentioned anything regarding a slippery road surface.

So either his approach was too fast or he tried and failed to manoeuvre between the truck and pickup.

3.jpg

2.jpg

23 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

That's from Coconuts and may indicate what he faces if he spoken guilty.

The case echoes an incident in early February when Australian tourist Thomas Keating, 22, was charged with reckless driving causing death after an accident that resulted in the death of his girlfriend Emily Jayne Collie, 20. The two crashed their separate jet-skis into each other off Kata Beach in southern Phuket.

Thomas Keating was handed down by court a two-year suspended jail sentence and fined THB5,000 for reckless driving causing death.

According to Section 291 of the Criminal Code, the maximum punishment that Glass could face for reckless driving causing death is a ten-year jail term and/or a fine of THB20,000. However, in practice, such cases more routinely result in smaller fines and suspended sentences.

Read that earlier and suspect as much. 

I have no opinion of what kind of punishment he should face. He knows what happened and why. Up to him if he doesn't want to incriminate himself, but spare us the fantasies of Sophie forgiving him and wanting him to get on with his life and continue to post claptrap on YouTube.

Archived