Russian man, passenger die after motorbike hits power pole in Patong

webfact

Russian man, passenger die after motorbike hits power pole in Patong

Eakkapop Thongtub

1496032986_1-org.jpg

The accident occurred near 'Kalim Junction', home to the 'Loma Fountain Roundabout', at about 5am on Saturday (May 27). Image: Google Maps

PHUKET: -- A Russian man and his Thai passenger died before dawn on Saturday morning (May 27) after the motorbike they were riding hit a roadside power pole at the “Kalim Junction”, near the roundabout at the northern end of the Patong beach road.

Russian national Dmitri Isakov, 31, and his passenger Nukan Phengkrajom, 29, from Khon Kaen, suffered extensive injuries in the impact, which occurred at about 5am, reported Lt Col Weeraphong Rakhito of the Patong Police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-man-passenger-die-after-motorbike-hits-power-pole-in-patong-62344.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-29

Again and again.

The carnage does not stop.

Hitting a power pole with a Honda Click at 5 AM.

Both dead (pillion rider also)!

What would you estimate that the speed was?

Feel sorry for both.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Again and again.

The carnage does not stop.

Hitting a power pole with a Honda Click at 5 AM.

Both dead (pillion rider also)!

What would you estimate that the speed was?

Feel sorry for both.

Their speed?  I'd say a minimum of 60kph.  That would throw them both from the bike to land on their heads. 

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

"No helmets were found at the scene."  Gee, what a surprise. 

There's a thin margin between a scooter crash that's not going to kill you even without helmet and a scooter crash that's going to kill you even if you're wearing one.

My takeaway from this is that the wee hours are for sleeping and not for scooter riding in a tourist trap.  You've crossed the safety Rubicon long before you decide whether to wear a helmet or not.

Not that wearing a helmet isn't  good idea.

How important is a helmet? Saw a video about a year ago of a Thai man on a rural paved road, slowing down on his motorbike for the stop light.  Just as he stopped and put his feet down, for some reason he just tipped over, fell and cracked his skull, killing him instantly. 

Human head v paved road = the road is gonna win. 

6 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

How important is a helmet? Saw a video about a year ago of a Thai man on a rural paved road, slowing down on his motorbike for the stop light.  Just as he stopped and put his feet down, for some reason he just tipped over, fell and cracked his skull, killing him instantly. 

Human head v paved road = the road is gonna win. 

Quality helmet properly fastened is essential ... can save your life.

Yeah helmets are vitally important, I got tboned years ago in Australia by a car that ran a red light.  I just remember seeing the sudden red flash of the car, then the black of the night sky, then everything went black as I was knocked out. 

I was thrown up in the air and judging by the damage to my helmet impacted the ground with the right side of my forehead.  

I have no doubt if I wasn't wearing a helmet I would have at least suffered a significant injury to my skull.  

Since then I don't ride after dark, or in the rain, slow down at intersections etc..

You both make good points.  A helmet can only do so much, but when it comes to protecting your noggin it really does help a lot.  

2 hours ago, impulse said:

There's a thin margin between a scooter crash that's not going to kill you even without helmet and a scooter crash that's going to kill you even if you're wearing one.

My takeaway from this is that the wee hours are for sleeping and not for scooter riding in a tourist trap.  You've crossed the safety Rubicon long before you decide whether to wear a helmet or not.

Not that wearing a helmet isn't  good idea.

There is a LARGE margin of possibility of death between wearing and not wearing a helmet in a motor bike crash.Run over by a Korean jeep in Vietnam on the highway crushing the helmet but it saved my life ending up with just a broken wrist and leg. Very STUPID is anyone not wearing a helmet while on a motor bike anywhere but especially here in Thailand.

4 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

There is a LARGE margin of possibility of death between wearing and not wearing a helmet in a motor bike crash.Run over by a Korean jeep in Vietnam on the highway crushing the helmet but it saved my life ending up with just a broken wrist and leg. Very STUPID is anyone not wearing a helmet while on a motor bike anywhere but especially here in Thailand.

Just 40% more stupid than riding a scooter with one.  Which is 2000-4000% more "stupid" than riding in a vehicle with 4 wheels (that is, your chance per km of being killed on a scooter are 20-40 x as high as your chances per km of being killed in a 4 wheel vehicle.)

Rather than characterizing anyone's personal choices as "stupid", I'd just point out the odds and let each of us make our own informed decision.  Which I do just about every day when I hop on a motosai taxi in Bangkok, fully aware of the risks.  If I'm going from one place where I can keep my helmet to another, I wear it.  If not, I take the extra 40% risk instead.

on the way to the BTS by my condo , we got traffic lights i often look and see those with helmets on have the strap dangling, i suppose their thought process is, oh i am about to have an accident , i must do my helmet up . lol

When you see the effect of some accidents where the helmet has been totally destroyed yet the rider survived, you have to know the helmet is your only chance of saving your life in a motor cycle accident. You don't have to be travelling terribly fast to have a brain injuring accident. Stay safe by always protecting your vulnerable skull!

I ride past this area most mornings in Patong (around 08.00) and have never hit a Power pole, but then I am riding safely at appropriate speed and not under any influence of drugs or alcohol. On the beach rd running up to junction only power poles are on the right, there is not much traffic on the beach rd at 05.00hrs at this end and it is a straight in this area, so speed can be built up easily but you have to slow for the junction. Hard to say what has happened without more details and exactly where they hit the power pole...

RIP anyway

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

i have cracked 2 helmets while on my bicycle; imagine what that force would do to a human skull

Your name pretty well sums up my thoughts on this incredible rash of suicide by bike on local roads lately.

Archived