Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

Nothing changes but everything changes in Thailand.   I can recall when bars had to close at 2am.   At which time it was "check bin" for all and then carry-on having start a new bin for the new day.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wlcart said:

For me, the only reason to go out to a club is to take a non-working woman home. I prefer to get her in my bed before dawn anyway. 

Your chances of that happening will be slim to none if all clubs end up closing at midnight. That's usually the time to start heading out to the clubs.

Same thing had happened in CM over the recent years

Five years ago , places used to stay open until the last person left , even 9 AM

rules then came in , making everywhere close at 3 AM

This then changed to midnight .

The Police driving around slowly with flashing lights at midnight reminding everyone to close

A few establishments  flouted the law

Shutters down, Police come and go, shutters back up again

A few places go raided, closed down permanently 

The late night drinking places became harder and harder to find

Even those, you would be sitting with the lights dimmed , music off and whispering

Those places then stopped opening late

There were always the 24 hour beer shops , that you could get a beer from

Those then got clamped down as well .

Beer shops now close at midnight as well

There are a few back street shops that stay open later

But, why bother ?

Its a great time to quit drinking

I think they are taking the "free" out of what was such a free society.

Lots of tourists don't arrive until late at night. Getting here from a long flight and bars closing at midnight they might not come again.

There is beginning to be too much control here which was the reason lots came here to retire and live.

22 minutes ago, wlcart said:

For me, the only reason to go out to a club is to take a non-working woman home. I prefer to get her in my bed before dawn anyway. 

So you mean the women you are looking for don't have a job and don't have to be at work at 8.00 am.  How do they support themselves if they are non-working?  

So as a tourist you would have to arrive here late on a Friday or Saturday? 

Sorry i've marked this down as an immature " I never pay for sex" self serving post. 

How tro promote tourism in one easy lesson 

Just imagine you are still in your homeland and looking around for a holiday destination

"let's go to Thailand"

"What?" !!!!!!!!

"The bars and clubs close at midnight?" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Stuff that for a game of soldiers I'm going to Spain""

3 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Maybe that's the reason and they need to get a different business designation. I was at Mixx till 3am tonight.

Yeah! some people like to get a bite to eat after the bar like a pizza or something so you get something to absorb the alcohol. 

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

what, !!!!!! clean and tidy ????????????:cheesy:

Clean and Tidy, Bangkok???  Never happen to this Sheethole !!! It hasn't changed since 1970 when i got here for the Vietnam War  !!!  :bah:

43 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

lol it's practically been impossible for me to get mugged on the way home. Bro, I'd say BKK is one of the safest cities to walk around in the middle of the night.

Oh wait, did you mean "get mugged on the way home" as in the police trying to get some cash out of peeps walking along Sukhumvit or from one of those police road blocks?

I agree with you on how safe Bkk is at night.

I walked 1.5 klms home at 2 am after work for sometime and felt totally safe. Something I would never do in my Australian home city.

I seem to remember going through this under Thaksin back in the mid-2000s. Things eventually kind of went back to "normal". I remember also back in the nineties stumbling out of the original  Thermae at 6AM a few times - those were the days. Bangkok nightlife has never really been the same (or as good) since the self righteous moral majority types started asserting themselves.

7 minutes ago, KOZMO said:

Clean and Tidy, Bangkok???  Never happen to this Sheethole !!! It hasn't changed since 1970 when i got here for the Vietnam War  !!!  :bah:

Seriously? I've only been here since the mid eighties and it's changed a lot! Maybe not from the clean and tidy perspective, but in every other way.

1 hour ago, sandrew33 said:

Here come the TV old fuddies this site is famous for ????

this side is also famous for older people who have the means to stay here and raise

a family, for people who dont have to show off or have to impress young ladies.

Normal people who like to sleep on normal hours.

So not only for tourists,acting as successful  , witch have to save up a year to spend it here in a few weeks and go home 

poor as they were .

Lets see how many likes this gets?

19 minutes ago, KOZMO said:

Do you not remember the pollution (from cars)

The black fumes would literally stick to you 

1 minute ago, novo58 said:

Those that have to work the next day !!

If you've gotta get up for work early on a Saturday or Sunday, you shouldn't be going out clubbing. Or you can do what some peeps do, party till the early hours of the day and get 2hrs sleep or no sleep and go to work. Not that I would recommend that, but hey, there are peeps who do that.

1 minute ago, lucjoker said:

all the generations before you did.

they were not so rude as you , and a lot smarter.

So in your days you used to hit up the clubs at 6pm and the clubs were packed to the brims? Wow

3 minutes ago, lee68 said:

Just the police making a new business plan, enforce an existing law and then take the kick backs for the club's and bars that want to open later,simple realy! 

It really isnt .

The Army are in charge now and they police the Police

If laws are not enforced , the Police chief will be getting the boot

40 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

I think they are taking the "free" out of what was such a free society.

Lots of tourists don't arrive until late at night. Getting here from a long flight and bars closing at midnight they might not come again.

There is beginning to be too much control here which was the reason lots came here to retire and live.

Not many people I have met get off a " long flight and head straight to a bar. Dont you get "free drinks" on your long flight airline ?

Wish they would shut down the illegal beers bars along Asoke at midnight!  Seems that there are mostly Thais and very few Farang sitting out there to 3-4am, pissing on the sidewalk and screaming to the loud music. Asoke between Sukhumvit and the Pullman smells like a bad Chinese roadside outhouse every morning.

Then they hop on their motorcycles that are double parked on Asoke since 1900 and race up and down Asoke while either drunk or high or in most cases both.  Wish they would fnd all night discos to go to.....

2 hours ago, dg1980 said:

Apparently some Thais believe that Bangkok would better if it was more like Singapore.

If Thailand had leaders that believed in helping their country ( as Singapore had Lee Quan Yew)more then filling their pockets and bank accounts then Thailand could be a close second to Singapore ,but that is never going to happen since this country has been based on corruption from the 1930s.You can paint a zebra white but underneath it stills has black stripes.(my quote).

Dont know why this is news anyway ........In australia there are different types of licenses for different types of businesses.

Bar license ( usually close at midnight), late license ( usually close at 3am), nightclub license ( usually close at 5am).

License fees increase substantially the later you close................but these days very few legal 24hr licenses.

general closing time is 3am, with a few exceptions for venues that pay a VERY SUBSTANTIAL licensing fee to stay open later.

So Thailand decides to enforce a similar law...and people "scream blue murder".

as others have said ...if the law were strictly enforced it would just mean starting and finishing earlier ....AND still being able to go to work the next day without a hangover.....or other substances still in your system.

Wish they would shut down the illegal beers bars along Asoke at midnight!  Seems that there are mostly Thais and very few Farang sitting out there to 3-4am, pissing on the sidewalk and screaming to the loud music. Asoke between Sukhumvit and the Pullman smells like a bad Chinese roadside outhouse every morning.

Then they hop on their motorcycles that are double parked on Asoke since 1900 and race up and down Asoke while either drunk or high or in most cases both.  Wish they would fnd all night discos to go to.....

What exactly is your problem?

Archived