Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

Since my early days in Thailand the adult entertainment scenes have grown much more commercial and expensive. Most of it in my opinion is a rip off.

I used to love going to girly bars with my mates, just for eye candying or perving the pretty girls, a sort of escapism where us guys could let our hair down a bit, and boys could be boys, be all the worse for drink, a jolly boys outing and a few good laughs. But now, In Chiang Mai for example what is left of the bar scene is old tack, with too many restrictions, no more thrills and many of the massage parlours have become happy ending parlours for sweaty, fat, ugly old men.

Could be because I`m older now and also it`s become way too expensive, they don`t hold the same fun and adventure atmospheres as they used to, and became bored of the bar scene long ago. Wouldn`t bother me if they shut the whole lot down.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Since my early days in Thailand the adult entertainment scenes have grown much more commercial and expensive. Most of it in my opinion is a rip off.

I used to love going to girly bars with my mates, just for eye candying or perving the pretty girls, a sort of escapism where us guys could let our hair down a bit, and boys could be boys, be all the worse for drink, a jolly boys outing and a few good laughs. But now, In Chiang Mai for example what is left of the bar scene is old tack, with too many restrictions, no more thrills and many of the massage parlours have become happy ending parlours for sweaty, fat, ugly old men.

Could be because I`m older now and also it`s become way too expensive, they don`t hold the same fun and adventure atmospheres as they used to, and became bored of the bar scene long ago. Wouldn`t bother me if they shut the whole lot down.

I used to go to Chiang Mai for january and February for about 6 years in a row end of 80's and early 90's. It was great. The go go bars the girls changed clothes ,did make up  all in the men's wash room. When I went to piss got a show well pissing. The GO Go girls when not dancing hung off me and allowed many liberties. Bar fine 200 baht. Just had to bring some street food in with you and could have a party in the Go Go buy drinks and have fun. I forget the name of one GoGo it is gone now but one holiday I think I bar fined every girl in the bar during my stay. They wore bikini's on the dance  stage but would get naked at the table odd huh.

But hey things change the youth is looking for different things.Now has a lot more foreigner influence on what is wanted and expected.

I can't speak for the times before the 1990's, but I think the 90's were the best period for Bangkok nightlife. Well, of course, I was young back then and I miss my youth overall; hehe. But seriously, 90's were really good. I lived in Bangkok for the majority of that decade. Most clubs and bars I went to back then could stay open until at least 4 am.

When the 2 am (for some venues, 1 am) curfew came into effect (in 2000 I think), most people, including me, thought that in a fun city like Bangkok, this curfew wouldn't last long; but, alas, it has lasted till now (of course with the exception of a few 'late-night venues'_those with certain connections).

I use to like Bangkok Beat, but now the place that took that over is all boarded up.

But, what is the goal for any of this? 

Way loud music, crowds, expensive drinks, late nights, feeling like crap the next day....

My goal is mostly to meet a lady to spend time with.

Now, these clubs are way down on my list to do that as the online sites are much more efficient for me.

14 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I used to go to Chiang Mai for january and February for about 6 years in a row end of 80's and early 90's. It was great. The go go bars the girls changed clothes ,did make up  all in the men's wash room. When I went to piss got a show well pissing. The GO Go girls when not dancing hung off me and allowed many liberties. Bar fine 200 baht. Just had to bring some street food in with you and could have a party in the Go Go buy drinks and have fun. I forget the name of one GoGo it is gone now but one holiday I think I bar fined every girl in the bar during my stay. They wore bikini's on the dance  stage but would get naked at the table odd huh.

But hey things change the youth is looking for different things.Now has a lot more foreigner influence on what is wanted and expected.

It's because your older.

The young crowd of today is having a great time, which in 20 years will looked back upon.

2 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

It's because your older.

The young crowd of today is having a great time, which in 20 years will looked back upon.

Yep, leave them too it .

Its when 40 year olds still act like they are 20 .

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2018 at 11:32 PM, The manic said:

nothing filthy..just not an American plastic McDonald. Unhygenic stalls get no customers and don't thrive. They may appear filthy to your effette, borderline racist views but street food is the heart  of Asia. Unlike in restaurants you can see any problems. From  

That's an interesting observation.   I was hesitant about trying "street food" the first time I arrived in Bkk.   But my Thai friend said "yeah, you don't want to eat from some of them" and assured me some are very clean.   I think that's definitely true, and many of the locals know the difference.   Some of these businesses have thrived for decades, and not from the tourist traffic.  I don't think you can build that sort of reputation among savvy Thai customers...........and yeah, many of whom need to watch the spending.   The other point is that many folks do not have facilities in their rooms for making their own meals.   It's convenient for them to stop by a street food stall on their way home from work. 

Yesterday for the first time ordered "street food" off Foodpanda. They have a bunch of such places listed.

Good stuff. I understand the concern about hygiene. But with items like khao man kai (boiled chicken on rice) and soups it's hard to go wrong.

And the value for money is terrific. My order of a plate of chicken, a pork rib soup, fish maw soup and rice, a day's worth of protein and carbs for a big guy like me with about zero grease came to 245b, which would have got me a single guess-the-meat burger and fries elsewhere.

Yesterday for the first time ordered "street food" off Foodpanda. They have a bunch of such places listed.

Good stuff. I understand the concern about hygiene. But with items like khao man kai (boiled chicken on rice) and soups it's hard to go wrong.

And the value for money is terrific. My order of a plate of chicken, a pork rib soup, fish maw soup and rice, a day's worth of protein and carbs for a big guy like me with about zero grease came to 245b, which would have got me a single guess-the-meat burger and fries elsewhere.
And I'm sure these places have a good reputation and huge base of customers.
Otherwise they would disappear soon.

Archived