Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

14 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

But these club and bar closures are impacting Thais as much as farang and there is a degree of unhappines

There's always a little bit of unhappiness when you separate someone from their playthings, playmates and play places.  It's like separating a 6 year old from the BB gun his stupid uncle gave him for Christmas.  

The world is a better place and he's safer- along with everyone within range, but make no mistake, there will be some unhappiness.  Life's tough that way.

Edit:  And in case there was any doubt, the answer is yes.  I was drawing an equivalency.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dg1980 said:

Apparently some Thais believe that Bangkok would better if it was more like Singapore.

Your cliché statement proves that you know nothing about Singapore.

6 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

I think you're absoltely right!  Why I'll bet there are as many as 3 or even 4 that don't.  Good call!

Well, do some quick maths .

Thailand has 30 million tourist visits per year .

Whats that ? 600 000 tourists per week .

How many go out clubbing /drinking all night?

A very small percentage .

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, a certain type of tourist .

The drinking fraternity .

Living in CM and seeing the changes over the years , the place is much better without the drinkers .

There used to be drunks staggering around all night , shouting , arguing , pissing and puking and telling their best mate how much he loved him and getting into fights .

Proudly driving around on mopeds with prostitutes on the back , thinking how cool they are to have "pulled" a lady the night before .

Obnoxious people who  made life unpleasant for everyone else .

Those people have left and life is so much better for everyone else .

Although the prostitutes do seem to miss them , they now have to get regular jobs

I am not a drinker or a clubber, and I do see where you are coming from, but I think the majority of mongers and night clubbers

are decent people who just want to come here on holiday and enjoy themselves. Why should they suffer because of the drunks etc.

Let the police do some work and lock up the misbehaving loudmouthed drunks until they pay a big fine.

16 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

I run business here with middle class and wealthy Thais. Their opinion on lots of things is as you say. But these club and bar closures are impacting Thais as much as farang and there is a degree of unhappiness.

Absolutely....If you were a Thai owner of those clubs & bars you definitely would be pissed off. By closing at midnight, the time where most of your money would be made being after midnight, you're gonna be maybe making maybe 75% less money and not being able to pay your rent of that premises.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Absolutely....If you were a Thai owner of those clubs & bars you definitely would be pissed off. By closing at midnight, the time where most of your money would be made being after midnight, you're gonna be maybe making maybe 75% less money and not being able to pay your rent of that premises.

I agree with you but you like others are missing the point these are not clubs that are being closed at midnight but restaurants that are pretending to be clubs.

Get the correct licence and just like Cowboy and patpong you can stay open late also is all they are saying

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Nothing is curved in stone, the day that all those pious morality police ' do as I say but not as I do' people will realize that tourism is hurting and numbers are falling, they will reverse those opening hours quick smart... nothing like the Thais to go back on their words and 'laws'.....

There's also the point that some / many Thais (same in many countries) want laws (subject by subject) which, example: are appropriate to controlling local teenagers and recognizing everybody needs to go to work, go to university etc.

That generally means the laws (whatever they are) apply to all, locals and visitors.

What fun? Why allow it? Why should the people be able to enjoy themselves, and have a good, healthy release from their daily grind? We cannot allow that.

Pretty soon, one wonders if they will also start to ban music, dancing, and sex. 

4 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Plenty of late night venues in Singapore. 

Can party all night their these days. 

Always could, There were plenty of all night places when I lived there 36 years ago.

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Pretty soon, one wonders if they will also start to ban music, dancing, and sex. 

I do not believe that there are any plans to ban the above

No need to worry about it, it will most certainly never happen

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am not a drinker or a clubber, and I do see where you are coming from, but I think the majority of mongers and night clubbers

are decent people who just want to come here on holiday and enjoy themselves. Why should they suffer because of the drunks etc.

Let the police do some work and lock up the misbehaving loudmouthed drunks until they pay a big fine.

Yes, probably decent people , until it comes to 3 AM and they been drinking all night and then stagger home and suddenly turn into obnoxious , drunken loud mouths who cause a disruption

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, probably decent people , until it comes to 3 AM and they been drinking all night and then stagger home and suddenly turn into obnoxious , drunken loud mouths who cause a disruption

Simple solution - don't live very near a club or a bar or nightlife area, then you won't have these problems or if you really want to live there, make sure you live in a condo with your room at level 20 or above :)

The problem peeps I see are only the idiotic weirdo backpackers on Khaosan that look like freaks or drug users or homeless bums. But I guess it adds character to that road lol

4 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Here come the TV old fuddies this site is famous for ????

.............................. and the people who think its fine to be inconsiderate towards others!

"Interior Ministry security forces – easily mistaken for military"

Good to see at least one agency is interested in enforcing the current licensing laws, and controlling the nightlife venues.

Recon there is any chance of taking their efforts nation wide?

Do not know personally but rumor has it, some venues in Pattaya (Insomnia) stay open til 6-7 AM, and pay the authorities B1 million per month for the privilege.

whether one likes it or not- Bangkok and Thailand is changing. The old days of everything goes and 24 hours in fun city are gone.  The Government wants to try and bring order to the country by establishing firm closing hours; cleaning up streets and enforcing immigration laws. the single Western long stay 'tourist' is  being pressured by tight immigration rules and that is not by accident. The Thai government, rightly or wrongly, believes eliminating this type of 'visitor' will take away the reason for many of the late night activities. 

I also really believe Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza is living on borrowed time. With a Square Wah of land going for 1 Million Baht- the land owners will gladly grab a huge offer and they and the next 10 generations will continue to live the good life. In addition, the bar owners cannot pay the increased rent; and the increased excise tax on alcohol and make a profit. Punters will only pay so much before they vote with their feet and its already happening.

There will always be some semblance of the bar scene with all the 'extras'. but if I was a single , male tourist- Bangkok; Pattaya; Phuket or Samui would not be high on my travel list.

3 hours ago, lucjoker said:

this side is also famous for older people who have the means to stay here and raise

a family, for people who dont have to show off or have to impress young ladies.

Normal people who like to sleep on normal hours.

So not only for tourists,acting as successful  , witch have to save up a year to spend it here in a few weeks and go home 

poor as they were .

Lets see how many likes this gets?

Having the means to stay in Thailand and raise a family is hardly a big deal.

Most older people are here because the same standard of living in their countries would cost too much so don't try to pretend that financial refugees are actually high net worth individuals. They're nothing of the kind.

What are "normal" people sleeping at "normal" hours? If you like to be in bed by ten because you're old, fine, that's your choice. Some of us like to party and have money to spend doing so. 

It sounds like many TV members would not have a problem if in their home countries restaurants kept dance club hours contrary to their permits and licenses. They also complain Thai authorities don't enforce the laws. Mai kao jai krup!

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Full disclosure: I took the oath in 1988 after drinking a lifetime's worth of booze before my 30th birthday.  Today, I generally leave the office parties around 9:00 because there is very little less fun than dealing (even socially) with a bunch of drunk people when you're sober.  Many of them have no clue just how obnoxious their behavior gets, nor any recollection the following day of how bad it got.  I know I didn't.

So my heart goes out to the neighbors of these venues when they have to put up with the 90% of decent social drinkers and 10% of obnoxious buttwads every night of their lives.  

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

i'm sorry for your family, such a rude person .

He's absolutely right. Your sort of attitude is shared by a lot of old farts who are under the impression that their pension is some sort of hallmark of legitimacy and that, consequently, their opinion carries more weight.

16 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

What are "normal" people sleeping at "normal" hours? If you like to be in bed by ten because you're old, fine, that's your choice. Some of us like to party and have money to spend doing so. 

You may have the money to spend to drink all night, but you dont have the licencing laws to be able to do so, so, bed by midnight for you as well :)

I like a good drink and a fun night out from time to time, but I am now retired on a fixed income with a family so I am not into clubbing or  other 'entertainment' but I have no problem if someone else wants to do this.  I grew the son of a bar owner in Ohio who always said 'after 1 AM-the only thing you get are someone else's drunks and problems-so that;s why he closed at that time.

My experience and history has shown me my father was right- many people simply cannot control themselves when drinking and now there is also the drug problem where more and more young people are getting hooked on drugs. I completely understand why the government is trying to bring some order to the 'entertainment' business. I, like others, do not want bars or other type of 'entertainment'  businesses opening in my neighborhood where I have invested in a house and trying to get my children educated. It has been too easy for these type of establishments to set up unregulated businesses that blare music at all hours.

In addition, I don't want my children to have to walk past drunks at 6 AM while on the way to school.    

Being free to do what one wants is great but people also have a responsibility not to infringe on the freedom of other people who may not want to partake in their frivolity. Setting reasonable hours for entertainment makes sense for everyone. The law in most places and most countries states 2 AM is the best closing time and new entertainment places cannot open within certain proximity of schools; places of worship and housing estates. Seems quite reasonable when you think about it.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

So you mean the women you are looking for don't have a job and don't have to be at work at 8.00 am.  How do they support themselves if they are non-working?  

So as a tourist you would have to arrive here late on a Friday or Saturday? 

Sorry i've marked this down as an immature " I never pay for sex" self serving post. 

What is immature about not wanting to pay for sex?  Contrary to the widely-held view of sex-tourists and sex-pats, not evert western male in Thailand sleeps with hookers.

2 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

What is immature about not wanting to pay for sex?  Contrary to the widely-held view of sex-tourists and sex-pats, not evert western male in Thailand sleeps with hookers.

You seem to have misunderstood . He didnt mean that its"immature" to not want to pay for sex, he meant that he post itself was immature . I would class it as being boastful and showing off .

Yeah, yeah ,  yeah : You go out every night , girls flock to your feet , you take a different one home every night  you have amazing sex all night long and then kick them out of bed the next morning and they never ask for any money .

You fine specimen of the alpha male

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do not believe that there are any plans to ban the above

No need to worry about it, it will most certainly never happen

I ws simply poking fun at the moral police in power at the moment. Silly children, in men's bodies.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What fun? Why allow it? Why should the people be able to enjoy themselves, and have a good, healthy release from their daily grind? We cannot allow that.

All bars and clubs will be given a playlist of Prayuth's songs and anyone that plays anything different will be summoned for attitude adjustment.

1 hour ago, KenKadz said:

"Interior Ministry security forces – easily mistaken for military"

Good to see at least one agency is interested in enforcing the current licensing laws, and controlling the nightlife venues.

Recon there is any chance of taking their efforts nation wide?

Do not know personally but rumor has it, some venues in Pattaya (Insomnia) stay open til 6-7 AM, and pay the authorities B1 million per month for the privilege.

5am normally... There's obviously a demand as it's usually still busy then... Those evil folk having fun and spending their hard earned! They must be stopped! 

Archived