'Atlanticist' Merkel rams home frustration with Trump after summits

webfact

'Atlanticist' Merkel rams home frustration with Trump after summits

By Paul Carrel and Andreas Rinke

r2.jpg

German Chancellor Angela Merkel (C) talks to U.S President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump as they arrive to attend a performance by the La Scala Philharmonic Orchestra in the ancient Greek theatre as part of the G7 Summit in Taormina, Sicily, Italy, May 26, 2017. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer/Files

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel underlined her doubts about the reliability of the United States as an ally on Monday but said she was a "convinced trans-Atlanticist", fine-tuning her message after surprising Washington with her frankness a day earlier.

In a speech in Berlin, Merkel showed how seriously she is concerned about Washington's dependability under President Donald Trump by repeating the message she delivered a day earlier that the days when Europe could completely count on others were "over to a certain extent".

She made those comments, which sent shock waves through Washington, after Trump criticised major NATO allies over their military spending and refused to endorse a global climate change accord at back-to-back summits last week.

"Recent days have shown me that the times when we could rely completely on others are over to a certain extent," Merkel said.

While she made clear Berlin and Washington would "of course" remain close partners, Merkel stuck to her language from Sunday.

"We also know that we Europeans must really take our fate into our own hands," she added, underlining Europe's frustration with Trump on climate policy in particular.

The American tycoon-turned-president backed a pledge to fight protectionism at the end of a summit of the G7 group of wealthy nations on Saturday. But he refused to endorse the climate pact, saying he needed more time to decide.

Merkel added that ties with the United States were of "paramount importance", but she otherwise stuck to the thrust of her Sunday message, when she spoke in a packed Munich beer tent.

"It became clear at the G7, when there was no agreement with the USA, how long and rocky this path would be," Merkel said at a conference on sustainable development. "I think it was good not to gloss over the differences."

"NATIONAL BLINKERS"

Merkel indirectly warned Trump he risked isolating the United States: "Anyone who today puts on national blinkers and no longer has eyes for the world around him is, I am convinced, ultimately out on a limb."

Her spokesman, Steffen Seibert, told reporters Merkel felt it was right to flag differences in Germany's ties with the United States in order to maintain healthy relations.

"Because trans-Atlantic relations are so important to this chancellor, it is right from her viewpoint to speak out honestly about differences," he said, stressing that the trans-Atlantic ties "are a firm pillar of our foreign and security policy"

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere stressed Germany's "excellent" security ties with the United States.

Nonetheless, Merkel's plans to meet Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang this week reflect Berlin's willingness to work with other countries if Washington proves problematic on climate and trade policy.

German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said the West had become weaker as Washington increasingly put U.S. interests first. He said Trump's administration, for example, was unlikely to do much to tackle the causes of the migrant crisis - climate change, wars and persecution.

He referred to the "loss of the U.S. as an important nation" and said that while it was important to maintain dialogue with Washington, Europe needed to become stronger and Germany needed to be more prepared to work with its EU peers.

Juergen Hardt, the German government's coordinator for transatlantic policies, said Trump's administration was irritating foreign allies.

"Never before has there been so much uncertainty about the political course, and so many contradictions in the president's statements, four months after the inauguration of a new U.S. president," Hardt told Reuters.

"That weakens America and irritates its partners," said Hardt, the foreign policy expert in parliament for Merkel's conservative Christian Democrats.

(Additional reporting by Thomas Escritt and Michelle Martin in Berlin and Kirsti Knolle in Vienna; Editing by Richard Lough)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-30

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Anyone who today puts on national blinkers and no longer has eyes for the world around him is, I am convinced, ultimately out on a limb."

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

He referred to the "loss of the U.S. as an important nation"

Wow! Four months in and this administration is absolutely destroying America. If Putin himself was in charge, I don't think he would have been able to do so much damage in such a short period of time. Very sad, but many of us have seen it coming. My biggest concern now is how far things will be allowed to go before the monkey in charge is removed from power.

Yet another reason why the investigations into law-breaking by Trump and his henchmen should be sped up.    The FBI has supposedly been investigating Trump's honchos for nearly a year. Congressional committees have supposedly been at it for months.   Yet how often do any of those committees call anyone to testify?   They're extremely slow.   Each day Trump stays in office, is another day of potential problems for the US.  Trump is a walking time-bomb.   

Europe is just one of the possible flash points.   N.Korea, M.East, Pakistan region, S.China Sea are others.  Trump is itching to cause trouble on a global scale.  The more we find out about Trump and the screw-ups he surrounds himself with, the better Merkel and other European leaders look in comparison.

For some reason I get the feeling many people are running scared because Trump is the real deal. The days of talking their way around things is history.. A new broom sweeps clean. The world might be waking up to how poorly it is governed.Trump is the man.America still has the power and Trump will get the ducks back in order perhaps at the price of some politicians being found out for what they really are. Unlike others Trump is in power for America and its legal citizens to work and prosper..The first potus to be brave enough to do this. I feel Merkel is an empire builder on the backs of her own people.

If Merkel and most of the NATO countries started spending the previously agreed 2 percent of their national budgets on defence then relationships will improve.

Some of the European armies could not fight a paper bag. For example Belgium spends 90 percent of its defence budget on salaries and pensions.

The UK has been irritated for years by the Europeans unwillingness to fund their military.

The Europeans are being complete hypocrites because they are at the same time demanding a huge sum of money from the UK to fund their EU projects whilst ignoring NATO agreements.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"Never before has there been so much uncertainty about the political course, and so many contradictions in the president's statements, four months after the inauguration of a new U.S. president,"

someone actually read the tweets

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

For some reason I get the feeling many people are running scared because Trump is the real deal. The days of talking their way around things is history.. A new broom sweeps clean. The world might be waking up to how poorly it is governed.Trump is the man.America still has the power and Trump will get the ducks back in order perhaps at the price of some politicians being found out for what they really are. Unlike others Trump is in power for America and its legal citizens to work and prosper..The first potus to be brave enough to do this. I feel Merkel is an empire builder on the backs of her own people.

I think in less than 4 years the USA and your POTUS will be singing the song "Mr Lonely" who you going to play with when everyone leaves the Party

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Yet another reason why the investigations into law-breaking by Trump and his henchmen should be sped up.    The FBI has supposedly been investigating Trump's honchos for nearly a year. Congressional committees have supposedly been at it for months.   Yet how often do any of those committees call anyone to testify?   They're extremely slow.   Each day Trump stays in office, is another day of potential problems for the US.  Trump is a walking time-bomb.   

Europe is just one of the possible flash points.   N.Korea, M.East, Pakistan region, S.China Sea are others.  Trump is itching to cause trouble on a global scale.  The more we find out about Trump and the screw-ups he surrounds himself with, the better Merkel and other European leaders look in comparison.

May be Trump is more right than you think .

Do you know who Comey is?

He has no FBI education and got his post for "political" reasons alone. A crony (reminds me on the Thaksin era)   http://www.israpundit.org/archives/63624058

Sorry too late to edit, so I have to add a new post

from  http://www.israpundit.org/archives/63624058

The obvious conclusion is that Comey was appointed to the FBI (along with other reliable Clinton-Obama cronies) to run interference for the Clinton’s and Obama’s at the nation’s federal law enforcement agency(in conjunction with a corrupt Department of Justice). Comey was and is owned by the Clintons. He owed all of his power and wealth to being part of their machine and providing them with cover.

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Yes well Angela has already taken Germany's fate--and probably much of the EU's--into her hands  by letting in willy-nilly about a million unvetted refugees. Good luck with that 10 or 15 years later. What an idiot.

"We also know that we Europeans must really take our fate into our own hands," she added, underlining Europe's frustration with Trump on climate policy in particular.  said Merkle.  

Hmmmmm maybe it is time they started taking care of themselves, might do the world some good.  Can anyone say with any amount of confidence that the EU has been a resounding success??  Smarter people than I maybe, but how many times has certain countries been given a pass on their debts, the EU has turned into a welfare state.

"

5 hours ago, webfact said:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel underlined her doubts about the reliability of the United States as an ally on Monday

Is that the same moron who has virtually completely destroyed Germany and some EU countries by allowing a huge number of useless unwanted 'refugees'  , who have to be supported by the state, into Germany. I don't think EU stan is a reliable ally to the US or GB (if it survives it's own cancerous Islamic infestation). Allied against what, Russia or China? Why would Putin want to invade Germany or France and inherit it's Islamic infestation. China is too distant. Perhaps Germany and France can be released from Nato, leaving the East European countries in alliance with the USA/UK. It would save Nato a fortune as it seems these two infested nations are freeloading anyway.

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Sorry too late to edit, so I have to add a new post

from  http://www.israpundit.org/archives/63624058

The obvious conclusion is that Comey was appointed to the FBI (along with other reliable Clinton-Obama cronies) to run interference for the Clinton’s and Obama’s at the nation’s federal law enforcement agency(in conjunction with a corrupt Department of Justice). Comey was and is owned by the Clintons. He owed all of his power and wealth to being part of their machine and providing them with cover.

Which is why when he announced that he was not going to recommend prosecution,  he violated justice department rules and publicly castigated her.  

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Wow! Four months in and this administration is absolutely destroying America. If Putin himself was in charge, I don't think he would have been able to do so much damage in such a short period of time. Very sad, but many of us have seen it coming. My biggest concern now is how far things will be allowed to go before the monkey in charge is removed from power.

Thanks for your words.  I was thinking over the last eight years how to express my thoughts so concisely. 

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

More evidence that Trump might be the real deal. However I suspect international politics is similar to pro-wrestling, all theater. The real power brokers are rarely heard from in public.

I really like your sense of humor. But in addition, you make some very erudite and informed comments. This being one.

Please hang around and keep posting!

7 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Which is why when he announced that he was not going to recommend prosecution,  he violated justice department rules and publicly castigated her.  

Ah the joys of naivety.

Of course he said she did wrong. Any numpty who read about it could see that. He stated the obvious. But, he chose not to recommend prosecution when that surely should be for the AG and legal staff to decide?

Bill's meeting with their tame AG on the airport tarmac must've sorted it all out. And of course, he never saw anything wrong there.

8 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

"We also know that we Europeans must really take our fate into our own hands," she added, underlining Europe's frustration with Trump on climate policy in particular.  said Merkle.  

Hmmmmm maybe it is time they started taking care of themselves, might do the world some good.  Can anyone say with any amount of confidence that the EU has been a resounding success??  Smarter people than I maybe, but how many times has certain countries been given a pass on their debts, the EU has turned into a welfare state.

Problem is they still want the US and UK to pay for it!

11 hours ago, terryw said:

If Merkel and most of the NATO countries started spending the previously agreed 2 percent of their national budgets on defence then relationships will improve.

Some of the European armies could not fight a paper bag. For example Belgium spends 90 percent of its defence budget on salaries and pensions.

The UK has been irritated for years by the Europeans unwillingness to fund their military.

The Europeans are being complete hypocrites because they are at the same time demanding a huge sum of money from the UK to fund their EU projects whilst ignoring NATO agreements.

The Merkel - Hollande solution (which Macron will probably support) is to establish a EU army. But the EU isn't a NATO member. So they'd spend on an EU military but not NATO. Draw your own conclusions.

And no prizes for guessing whose gonna be in command!

Yes, Germany does not want to be the country thay keeps the EU afloat as Germany goes bankrupt.

When the UK is gone  no more money from them.  Good Luck EU you will certainly need it.  As for

Trump, I think he showed the Europe leaders, that he is no Bill Clinton, or Obama, and they can't

figure him out any more than most Americans can.

8 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yes, Germany does not want to be the country thay keeps the EU afloat as Germany goes bankrupt.

When the UK is gone  no more money from them.  Good Luck EU you will certainly need it.  As for

Trump, I think he showed the Europe leaders, that he is no Bill Clinton, or Obama, and they can't

figure him out any more than most Americans can.

Well, I do agree with you that Trump "showed the European leaders that he is no Bill Clinton, or Obama". For one thing, unlike them, he once again demonstrated that he's a massive ignoramus.

14 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

N. Korea, M.East, Pakistan region, S. China Sea are all flash points. It's the last 8 years of appeasement by the US and other world leaders which have only added the the problem.  I can't point to anything done by the USA in the last eight years to stem the buildup of China in the South China Sea or of the North Koreans with their programs nor was much effort made to lead the world in the effort.  None of the things you mentioned had anything to do with Trump, and the current Administration has found itself with numerous flash points they must now deal with due to past lack of resolve.  As for Merkel, well she has been a leader in totally <deleted>*ng up Germany and most of the EU with her lead on allowing massive numbers of immigrants into her country.  We will see how that plays out in the future.

I sure hope Trump is the real deal because the policies of the past are likely to bankrupt the US. Just how long can the US fund a larger share of NATO and the UN, give billions in foreign aid and run trade deficits with almost every country with which it trades, and fund every social program the left says is needed,  and not go broke in the process?  Sure Trump is a bull in a china shop but he is a pragmatist as well.  He knows, as should every American, that living on the credit card has consequences. But unfortunately the critics only see him as someone who wants to do away with social programs, ruin the environment, and put the breaks on some of the programs the left seems to value so much, regardless of the need. Global warming with ever greater portions of the population without good jobs and an economy that can't pay it way well it's a no-brainer to me. I am not advocating not taking the environment into consideration but with India and China going full steam ahead, the US needs to make up the difference?   The US taxpayer is now funding medical care for 1/3 of the population. There is about 130 million Americans on medicare and medicaid costing about 1.2 trillion per year.  Add to that food stamps, aid for dependent children, school lunches, unemployment payments, and on and on and on.The US is turning into a welfare state where only a fraction of the population is productive. 61% of the population is 19-64 or working age. I can't begin to tear the 61% apart because there are unemployed, those on disability, mothers not working. college age kids and others living at home. One has to wonder what percentage is actually working to support the economy. Now let's give free college education to the mix, college loan debt forgiveness, etc. and all I can see is more debt.   Somethings got to give somewhere.  So if Trump is not the sensitive ideologue that Obama seemed to be, so be it. We do need a reality check.  Because if something does not change we are on the way to bankruptcy and anyone who has kids should be worried about that.

16 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I haven't seen such speculation since the last time I was contemplating a fish bowl in Nataree.

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The Merkel - Hollande solution (which Macron will probably support) is to establish a EU army. But the EU isn't a NATO member. So they'd spend on an EU military but not NATO. Draw your own conclusions.

And no prizes for guessing whose gonna be in command!

Any spend on an EU military would be included as part of their 2% of GDP defence spend target agreed with NATO. So what precisely is your point?

People in Europe doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior from tourists so why should they tolerate it from Trump. The man seems to understand very little about other cultures.

Trump managed to understand cultures well enough for a businessman turned world leader, as his recent visit to KSA & Israel proved.

As for Merkel, her own interests is the survival of the EU at whatever cost, Trump is simply showing he's no pushover and the EU self elite frown upon anyone who challenges or disagrees with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen such speculation since the last time I was contemplating a fish bowl in Nataree.

I agree. My question is, why would so many knowledgeable and smart people waste their time posting on TV? Especially when it comes to politics. Oops, that includes me as well. TV is like trying to follow a 3D Ping Pong Tournament where the judges predominantly look and score on one corner of the room. Everyone else is assumed to be an obvious looser or rookie. But, it's the only game in town isn't it? My best bet to avoid addiction is to read the political posts without reading the comments which are useless and self indulgent. The rest already have enough Ping Pong balls bouncing off the walls waiting for someone to play on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Archived