Jump to content
BANGKOK 24 July 2019 10:18

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Getting tough! Now potential drivers must take the test themselves

Recommended Posts

Getting tough! Now potential drivers must take the test themselves

 

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport department has announced stringent new measures to ensure public confidence in the driving test.

 

These include having to take the test yourself.

 

In future applicants at land transport offices will have their picture taken both at the start and finish of the five hour process all under the watchful eye of the staff, reported Daily News.

 

IDs will be double checked too.

 

Anyone found taking the test - written or practical - for someone else will find the full force of the law raining down on them, said chief of the department Sanit Phromwong yesterday.

 

Sanit was announcing a swathe of improvements to how Thais get their "temporary" licenses.

 

The new "E-exam" will have a 90% pass rate. That means a successful applicant must get 45 of the fifty questions right to pass.

 

The practical test of driving will be more closely watched too, he said.

 

Criminals preying on the public both at testing centers and online will be prosecuted.

 

And, perhaps equally importantly, he promised to go after any corrupt officials taking bribes within the department itself.

 

Extra convenience will now be available to the public by being able to get their place in he queue online or over the phone.

 

Daily News gave the 24 hour hotline number 1584 for people wishing to report nefarious activity related to the driving test.

 

Picture: Daily News

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new "E-exam" will have a 90% pass rate. That means a successful applicant must get 45 of the fifty questions right to pass.

 

More like a 90% fail rate on that marking criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, webfact said:

In future applicants at land transport offices will have their picture taken both at the start and finish of the five hour process all under the watchful eye of the staff,

Your kidding me?

 

I was already aware of certain LTD offices penchant to simply take extra payments for a DL in lieu of an applicant exhibiting any innate ability to drive but their system allows total strangers to do tests for others? They have only just realized that this is a problem?

 

Thai ID cards have had this auditable picture taking trail to verify that the applicant for a new or replacement ID card is the same person picking it up for a very long time.

 

I wonder how many crap farang drivers have had a buddy get their Thai DL for them since we 'all look the same' to them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, webfact said:

These include having to take the test yourself.

what a novel idea, maybe the rest of the world should follow suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm. Must take the test yourself? Now there's a revolutionary idea. I'll bet other countries will flock to Thailand to see how they managed to come up with this revelation. Still, it does rather suggest a possible reason for the extraordinary road death-toll at present.

 

90% will pass after getting 45 questions right out of 50. Hmmm. Well, bearing in mind the scores in Thai education exams, where multiple-choice questions are apparently the norm (to avoid putting too much load on teachers), I have my doubts. Most drivers I encounter on Thai roads would probably do well to get 5 or 6 right answers, judging by what I see every day. Depending on the questions of course.  "How many wheels are there on a motocy?" Might boost the pass rate a bit.

 

Anyway, no problem. 5,000 baht in the right pocket will solve all problems. It's the Thai way, honoured in tradition and deeply embedded in the culture, passed down from the top. It isn't going to change, so tut-tutting about it, and rolling one's eyes toward Heaven isn't going to achieve very much. Might as well sit back with a cold beer and watch the fun. Entertainment need not be expensive in Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a lot of talk; any change for renewal of existing DLs; the 5 year variety ? and these folks should limit the existing lifetime DLs to 5 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are there no learner's licences here? Do a written test to get a learner's licence that allows you to drive in the daytime as long as accompanied by a licenced driver. Use this licence at least a year and then do the test. Fail the test then back to the learner's permit. Then a provisional licence 2 years before getting an open licence. I guess this would mean too much effort though. 

 

It's only part of the problem - poor law enforcement is the main issue. I'm sure most drivers know to indicate before changing lanes. Yet they o do it because police don't enforce their own laws. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Why are there no learner's licences here? Do a written test to get a learner's licence that allows you to drive in the daytime as long as accompanied by a licenced driver. Use this licence at least a year and then do the test. Fail the test then back to the learner's permit. Then a provisional licence 2 years before getting an open licence. I guess this would mean too much effort though. 

 

It's only part of the problem - poor law enforcement is the main issue. I'm sure most drivers know to indicate before changing lanes. Yet they o do it because police don't enforce their own laws. 

 

"It's only part of the problem - poor law enforcement is the main issue. I'm sure most drivers know to indicate before changing lanes. Yet they do it because police don't enforce their own laws."

 

Right. That hit the nail squarely on the head. The police take state money to do their jobs, and then take money from the punters not to do their jobs. And they please themselves whether they enforce any law at all. And then they have the gall to say they serve and protect the public. It's a complete farce.

 

Thainess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about testing them in actual traffic. That should weed out quite a few unqualified drivers. More beneficial to public safety than the several hours of video watching now required.  I can drive, I saw the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having recently taken the test, it is not a test of driving ability.

It is a test of endurance.

 

The practical tests very little road skills.

The theory tests ability to remember the right answers without actually understanding why they are right.

The questions are available online on Thai websites.

The difficult part is sitting the the hours of pointless videos. Zzzzzzz...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Your kidding me?

 

I was already aware of certain LTD offices penchant to simply take extra payments for a DL in lieu of an applicant exhibiting any innate ability to drive but their system allows total strangers to do tests for others? They have only just realized that this is a problem?

 

Thai ID cards have had this auditable picture taking trail to verify that the applicant for a new or replacement ID card is the same person picking it up for a very long time.

 

I wonder how many crap farang drivers have had a buddy get their Thai DL for them since we 'all look the same' to them?

Crap 'farang', as in western, presumably? I doubt any western driver could come close to a crappy Thai driver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Anyone found taking the test - written or practical - for someone else will find the full force of the law raining down on them ...' Lucky them. Raining down? Read that as spitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More lip service to road safety.

 

Most will continue without a licence. Like poor driving, breaking the law, having no insurance etc etc has no consequence so no need to get a licence.

If you really want a licence; money under the table gets a licence.

 

Nothing will ever change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...