Getting tough! Now potential drivers must take the test themselves

webfact

Anyways answering a few tests questions will not stop idiots being idiots on the road.

also, i must wonder if the same questions are in same order on every test and multiple choice format?

if so i would bet my last somtum that the answers are on some somchais website or FB , explaining people passing when half asleep

The Land Transport department has announced stringent new measures to ensure public confidence in the driving test.

This is ridiculous

Even when they take their own test, they are not tested for proper driving procedures,

Turning right and not cutting the corners

Keeping in the left when when not overtaking

Stopping for pedestrians at pedestrian crossings

Turning left

Parallel reverse parking

3 point turns

And so many more basic driving skills are not checked.

This wont improve the Thai drivers.

And because the basic driving rules are rarely enforced with few police patrol the road, bad driving is not picked up.

10 hours ago, Trumpish said:

90% will pass after getting 45 questions right out of 50.

I think the original should have said the pass MARK is 90%.

A pass rate of 90% means that 9 out of every 10 candidates pass.  Very generous !!

52 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

Anyways answering a few tests questions will not stop idiots being idiots on the road.

also, i must wonder if the same questions are in same order on every test and multiple choice format?

if so i would bet my last somtum that the answers are on some somchais website or FB , explaining people passing when half asleep

Thai driving test questions 90%pass rate Multiple answers

1 What do we drive a car with   A/ Car Seat B/ tyre C/ Steering Wheel

2 Which way do we indicate when turning right  A/ Left B/ No indication at all C/ Right

3 What do we do when we do a U turn  A/ Put Accelerator flat to the floor to beat the traffic B/ Dont look C/ Give way to all Traffic

4 What do we do at red light  A/ Stop B/ Just drive through it C/ Ignore and keep speeding

5 Is it right to drive up the wrong side of the Road  A/ Yes B/ Dont Know C/ Who cares we do it

Thai would prob answer this way and still pass Q1 B Q2 B Q3 B Q4  B&C Q5 C

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

How about testing them in actual traffic. That should weed out quite a few unqualified drivers. More beneficial to public safety than the several hours of video watching now required.  I can drive, I saw the film.

Will the testing officers get paid danger for risking their lives, that's assuming they get anyone to volunteer for such a venture - venturing into the traffic with a new Thai driver -  wow 

3 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

You do not have to take the UK test in English. There are facilities for taking it in the major languages spoken by immigrants, but not Thai.

I ascertained this when my Thai wife was living in England. By the way my step sons said when visiting England that the most impressive thing they noticed was traffic and the roads.

In April 2014 the UK stopped allowing driving tests to be taken in languages other than English or Welsh.

"Stephen Hammond, Transport Minister said:

It is essential that all road users have the right skills to use our roads safely and responsibly. By stopping driving tests in foreign languages we will cut out the risk of fraud, and help to ensure that all drivers can read road signs and fully understand the rules of the road."

6 hours ago, bamukloy said:

So what country would have drivers test written in several languages? 

If you in that country its expected you can speak read and write the language.

If you think about it, if cant read or speak Thai, you cant even read road warnings,directions etc.

And then if you in an accident cant even communicate to others or police..then wonder why you get the short end of stick!

Imagine the uproar in your country, if some guy run into you and babbles on in Swali language and speak zero english 

"So what country would have drivers test written in several languages? "

America?

The languages on offer vary from state to state.

California offers the test in a staggering 32 languages, including Thai.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Your kidding me?

I was already aware of certain LTD offices penchant to simply take extra payments for a DL in lieu of an applicant exhibiting any innate ability to drive but their system allows total strangers to do tests for others? They have only just realized that this is a problem?

Thai ID cards have had this auditable picture taking trail to verify that the applicant for a new or replacement ID card is the same person picking it up for a very long time.

I wonder how many crap farang drivers have had a buddy get their Thai DL for them since we 'all look the same' to them?

Yeah, sureley! Off course it must be crappy foreigner drivers. Just think that it´s mostly a Thai problem. Maybe you walk around believing that foreigners are the ones that makes Thailand the 2:nd country in the world on accidents resulting in death per 100000 people.

Just a suggestion. Go back to the good book and find some facts.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Anyone found taking the test - written or practical - for someone else will find the full force of the law raining down on them,

THB500

13 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

You do not have to take the UK test in English. There are facilities for taking it in the major languages spoken by immigrants, but not Thai.

I ascertained this when my Thai wife was living in England. By the way my step sons said when visiting England that the most impressive thing they noticed was traffic and the roads.

You're out of touch on this one. See below. But none the less, the UK does have one of the toughest testing regimes in the world and it is reflected in the very low accident and RTA deaths that occur.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/end-to-foreign-language-driving-tests

23 hours ago, webfact said:

the full force of the law raining down on them,

Bugger!  I had a nice little business taking driving tests for Thais - I could do ten a day using the Thai ID cards irrespective of the fact that I was a lot taller and had a white face.

52 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Bugger!  I had a nice little business taking driving tests for Thais - I could do ten a day using the Thai ID cards irrespective of the fact that I was a lot taller and had a white face.

Now that is a real bugger, looks like the beer money will have to be sourced elsewhere - -  for awhile anyway.... 

The only country in Asia that I have ever had to take a written and an actual driving test using my car was Taiwan. That was in 1997. Every place else I stayed MONEY did the testing and Thailand will never change the Brown Envelope Syndrome either.....       

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:44 AM, bamukloy said:

So what country would have drivers test written in several languages? 

If you in that country its expected you can speak read and write the language.

If you think about it, if cant read or speak Thai, you cant even read road warnings,directions etc.

And then if you in an accident cant even communicate to others or police..then wonder why you get the short end of stick!

Imagine the uproar in your country, if some guy run into you and babbles on in Swali language and speak zero english 

Normally I would agree with you about the written language.  But the good ole US of A has the tests in several languages, at least in the states I have gotten my license. 

Archived