Twenty billion baht tram projects set to transform Pattaya!

webfact

Twenty billion baht tram projects set to transform Pattaya!

4pm.jpg

Image: Pattaya Watchdog Group

PATTAYA: -- Two tram lines are "coming for sure" and are set to transform Pattaya, said a watchdog group on Facebook.

Pattaya Watchdog posted a map of the Red and Blue lines that will go in loops around the beach and roads behind respectively.

Phase 1 is the Red Line for which there is a budget of 8 billion baht for a planned 8 kilometer loop. This will go from North Pattaya along the beach and back again on Sai 2 road.

The other project is the Blue Line that will share some track in North Pattaya before traversing a more inland route.

The watchdog group said there was still some confusion as to the exact route the Blue Line it might take as the projects are still in the planning stage. The Blue Line is set to be built later with a 12 billion baht budget.

A total of 103 million baht is being spent on "design" for the two lines.

The existing roads will be used for the trams after earlier ideas for an above ground project were rejected, said the watchdog.

A "switch station" to connect the two lines will be constructed in North Pattaya enabling transfers from one to the other.

Parking will be available in a lot at the start of the route.

The group said that the tram was the most eagerly anticipated addition to Pattaya in a swathe of infrastructure plans for the resort that include improvements to the Bali Hai and Koh Larn ports, roads to Rayong and Sattahip and drainage within the city.

They said that the tram was still in the planning stage but was coming for sure.

Source: Pattaya Watchdog Group

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-30

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that this must have some drooling.  A 20 BILLION baht project will fill a lot of pockets.  So I would think approval is a sure thing.  Completion, on the other hand, well you pays your money and you takes your chances.

The taxi/baht bus maffioso will surely have something to say about this, and there is the disruption that will occur on the roads involved - think MASSIVE traffic congestion, possibly even worse than the Sukhumvit tunnel. 

Time frame for completion?  Maybe 20 years, and with massive budget overruns, of course.

This would actually be great, if it were ever to be completed AND operational.  I wonder if they have figured out how they will keep the tracks free of cars?  And what about maintenance?   Do they have a maintenance budget?

But at least it's a good idea, and practical too.  I wonder how much the fares will be? 

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Most of us "expats" will be dead long before it is built , and the way things are going ,the same with the opening of the tunnel

....and so what ?  New very alive tourists will have the benefit of all traffic improvements...

great idea ....  hope it happens ...  well done Khun Prayuth Can O Cha ....   !!

of coarse .... the nayers will always present themselves no matter what is proposed.

there are some farang you just can't please :passifier:

Burning QUESTIONS ?

We now compete with Motorcycles, baht buses, large buses,
trucks of all kinds and cars to travel those roads.

And I am not even mentioning PARKED VEHICLES.

AND they are now going to add TRAMS?

Most of those roads are 2 LANE,

But I counted the other day and

one lane is shared with parked vehicles.

the OTHER LANE is shared with motorcycles and
cars/truck and a second land of motorcycles.

for a total of 4 lanes going in one direction on 2 lanes.

And of course it is the same on the other side of the street.

Dream: they make the BIG ass buses park outside and
the passengers take the Tram into town. LMAO

NOTE: the Tunnel is now labeled Underpass.
Ya I thought Tunnel was a bit of a stretch myself.

My estimate...........the project will be finished in about 20 years at a cost of at least THB 30-35bn.

If this THB 105mn project-group will think a little harder, they can save at least half if they're able to present a plan to improve the current infrastructure in Pattaya and that includes an elevated stretch of Sukhumvit from Banglamung to the Makro area.

55 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Not being from Britain, what's a tram? 

Same as they have in Holland, Belgium, Hong Kong, Turkey, Australia, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Portugal and no doubt many more countries around the globe.

The existing roads will be used for the trams after earlier ideas for an above ground project were rejected, said the watchdog.

There the problem use existing roads just more traffic chaos.

great idea ....  hope it happens ...  well done Khun Prayuth Can O Cha ....   !!

of coarse .... the nayers will always present themselves no matter what is proposed.
there are some farang you just can't please :passifier:

I will show this to my wife tonight. She works for Germans building this stuff. My guess is that project is in the fantasy stage.

Many zany ideas get bounced around in Pattaya. Most never come to fruition.

In reviewing this map, I don't understand where the Blue Line goes, apart from Sukhumvit. And also I'm confused why the two lines don't connect along the southern part of the map. I won't ever have to worry about it as I'll be dead before it ever gets completed. But it seems like a bit more planning might be called for, or at least the release of the full current plan to review.

Archived