Twenty billion baht tram projects set to transform Pattaya!

webfact

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That possibly explains, why the boys down at City Hall had not time to query why the road construction on Siam Country Road, in progress for more than two years now, is not finished and nobody knows anything if and when they will finish - all workers disappeared and dozens of small and medium sized enterprises (hair dressers, a gold shop and a tire dealer - which I know of) when bankrupt and closed their doors for good. 

Pathetic rubbish all the way :-( 

The train/tram/public transport thing is unrolled every few years - and then has been forgotten about, leaving the baht bus mafia, motorbikes and cars happily reign supreme in Pattaya. Can you even IMAGINE putting a fixed route tram in on Beach road???  What happens when they have festivals, markets, celebrations? How do you fit all the buses, cars and bikes around it?   

I'm sure it won't ever happen! 

1billion per km...wow even we in Switzerland did not used that much money for the largest railway tunnel in the world...compare the efforts needed to build it.

The new Gotthard base tunnel, opened in December 2016, 57 km build through hard mountain stones, took almost 17 years and did cost 350 billion thb...

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Base_Tunnel

Makes around 6.15 billion baht per km, but with a huge difference...railways, underground and through the mountains, where you have to take into account all kind of construction risks ...

555 welcome to thailand..cheap labour, wealthy admins

My daily entertainment quota topped off with this story today... so many ways to utilize the money finishing off projects that have been sucked dry and left for dead already mentioned here.
Siam country club road is a <deleted> death trap and sadly excited to see who will get the blame when sections of the new motorway road get abandoned

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It would be great to see it though. I wonder what the trams will be based on. Will they be like the old type trams that were world famous in the uk? I would like to know how they are going to turn them round. Will they have the big circular disc in the road turn them that way. Or will they have a loop that puts them pointing in the direction of the way back. They could always have both ends of the tram as driving cabins. I would love to see them, as they were years ago in the old sea side towns.Maybe they could have 'rock shops' selling sticks of rock with 'Pattaya' written through them. And "short time me quick" hats.

I think the first prize goes the the new Berlin-Brandenburg Airport.
I don't know how long they were planning, building and exceeding the budget.
I'm not even sure that it is in operation now.
You can Google for more detailed information

The idea is great but wouldn't be hybrid buses the better solution?
Faster to implement, less investment, etc.
However, for both projects private traffic should be not allowed / banned from the route.
Only that makes sense

7 hours ago, manarak said:

this project is nonsense.

the same result can be achieved with shuttle buses.

your comment is nonsense,how can you compare electric to a dirty old fuel consuming ''shuttle bus''...and why don't you just welcome any improvements...this will be a tourist attraction riding a new tram down the beach or your idea,an old belching disgusting bus....no brainer dude

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Not being from Britain, what's a tram? 

Not been to San Francisco? Trams are making something of a comeback in Europe, there are now trams is some British cities including Edinburgh, having had their initial heyday in the late nineteenth century and the first half of the 20th, with buses subsequently taking over their routes after the 1950's. Originally trams were horse drawn.  Milan has a really great tram system, the best in Europe.

The idea is great but wouldn't be hybrid buses the better solution?
Faster to implement, less investment, etc.
However, for both projects private traffic should be not allowed / banned from the route.
Only that makes sense

What happened to the last batch of buses that entered Thailand? Did they ever leave the customs compound, never did get the last on that saga.....

.Maybe they could have 'rock shops' selling sticks of rock with 'Pattaya' written through them. And "short time me quick" hats.

Copyright that idea quick there will be 20 other shops in a row selling the same stuff :blink:

What happened to the last batch of buses that entered Thailand? Did they ever leave the customs compound, never did get the last on that saga.....

Found an article about this.
Search on Google "new bus Bangkok" in the news section and it will show an article from the Bangkok Post.

Though doesn't say anything about the status of the new buses

32 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Trams on the beach road, great. I hope the pubs start serving pints of mild and get a few sea food stalls outside, serving Jellied Eels and crusty bread.

Sounds good especially with sea food stalls and all but I just don't think Pattaya is ready for such sophistication!!

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Sounds good especially with sea food stalls and all.

I'm not sold on this Pattaya tram thing. I just don't think Pattaya is ready for such sophistication!!

Well, we shall see what we shall see. So many of these good ideas and great intentions get lost in time.

8 hours ago, WhizBang said:

I understand that this must have some drooling.  A 20 BILLION baht project will fill a lot of pockets.  So I would think approval is a sure thing.  Completion, on the other hand, well you pays your money and you takes your chances.

The taxi/baht bus maffioso will surely have something to say about this, and there is the disruption that will occur on the roads involved - think MASSIVE traffic congestion, possibly even worse than the Sukhumvit tunnel. 

Time frame for completion?  Maybe 20 years, and with massive budget overruns, of course.

This would actually be great, if it were ever to be completed AND operational.  I wonder if they have figured out how they will keep the tracks free of cars?  And what about maintenance?   Do they have a maintenance budget?

But at least it's a good idea, and practical too.  I wonder how much the fares will be? 

I'm told the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

1 hour ago, Jeremy50 said:

... there are now trams is some British cities including Edinburgh, ...

Ah yes, the "£375m over budget and three years late" tram.

"The network was originally supposed to consist of several lines including branches to nearby Leith and Newhaven. All of these were scrapped as costs soared apart from the central line..."

I think you have inadvertently stumbled across the contractor most likely to win the Pattaya bid.

so, slap me if i am wrong here, BUT, it seems the tram is set to run on beach road. Right now, beach road is pretty congested with the sonkaows...does that mean they will be eliminated? or will they just continue as always. If so...seems to me the tram will be stuck in traffic as all other vehicles are...we all know that Thais will take up any open spot on the road..so what makes you think they will leave an entire lane open for the tram...when the tram is out of sight?  unless they do something extreme for that lane so that cars can not access the lane...it will be business as normal.

7 hours ago, hobobo said:

Thais will never use it, unless the tram would stop every 50 metres. Can you imagine Thais walking any further than that?

The BTS stations in Bangkok are several hundred metres apart yet the trains are full of Thais all day and all evening.

Given the choice of taking an air-conditioned tram that only stops at fixed stations but doesnt get held up by traffic, or taking a hot and sticky Bahtbus that stops everywhere and is full of pickpockets and worse, I suspect that many Thais would chose the former. I think I would too.

Archived