new passport new extension regulations

just come back from immigration and saw a notice that says if there is less than 1 year left on my passport when i do a new extension the new extension will only go to the date of expiry of my passport and i have to re apply.

my passport expires on February 20  2018

my extension runs from 10 August every year

if i apply for and receive my new passport in December  can i go to immigration and re -apply for a new extension in December that will then run from December to December every year   because that is better/ more convenient  for me than August to August .

thanks for any advice

What is your home country? For example UK passports can carry forward up to nine months from an old passport so in effect on your new passport you get ten years nine months. On receipt of the new passport go to immigration and they will transfer your details to your new passport then when that extension expires in August you can apply for a new extention as normal. The scenario you are describing means you would pay for two extensions @ 1900 baht each. 

The rule is not new. It started in August of 2013

You could use your current passport to apply in August and get an extension that will end on February 20, 2018. Then when you get a new passport apply for a new extension before the current one expires.

Remember though that if you want to travel to some countries you will need 6 months of passport validity to enter them.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What is your home country? For example UK passports can carry forward up to nine months from an old passport so in effect on your new passport you get ten years nine months. On receipt of the new passport go to immigration and they will transfer your details to your new passport then when that extension expires in August you can apply for a new extention as normal. The scenario you are describing means you would pay for two extensions @ 1900 baht each. 

yes i'm quite OK about paying for 2 extensions because i would rather my extension run from December to December,  i'm from the UK and need to go back in the summer months,

it would be a good opportunity to  be able to apply in December then i have all summer free to go back to the UK if necessary 

3 minutes ago, salavan said:

yes i'm quite OK about paying for 2 extensions because i would rather my extension run from December to December,

The extension you get in August will be until February not December. Getting your new passport before then will not change that.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The extension you get in August will be until February not December. Getting your new passport before then will not change that.

Thanks  Joe

does that mean my new extension will then run from February 20 to February 20  that would also be ok if possible