Cremation Costs.

If I die in Thailand I have no intention of being shipped home, I have no property/car here etc. just enough in the Bank for every day living.

What is the cost of a basic cremation and how would I arrange for it too be paid ?

Could I write into my UK Will my wishes stating my daughter would transfer the money to my GF too pay for it from my estate ?.

Youll be dead so you wont really care what they do to you. If however you are single with no NOK here they will attempt to contact your NOK in birth country. So you need to tell them to make sure your burnt here either way they will be charged.

Edited by jeab1980

12 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

I don't have a garden !

You can use mine, I need the fertilizer. :)

More seriously, a local cremation around here costs one or two thousand baht but the cost can increase based on what the family want, extra;s such as flowers, laying in state for a week, a formal burial with lots of people/parking/seating etc all cost more. FWIW I'm planning on 5k baht for mine.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

A number of company's sell pre-paid funeral plans somewhere between 30 - 40K

Are you serious, joking or don't really know, I've never heard of such things in Thailand in over twenty years.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Not joking, I have details of two such companies both operate out of Bangkok but obviously the plane covers Thailand, you can even purchase repatriation costs. 

30 to 40k no chance total rip off. Burn you for 2k pocket the rest. Find a woman give her 10k to burn you she can keep the rest then

Edited by jeab1980

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Not joking, I have details of two such companies both operate out of Bangkok but obviously the plane covers Thailand, you can even purchase repatriation costs. 

Repatriation I can understand, clearly what you describe is aimed at naive foreigners in Thailand, outrageous pricing.

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You can use mine, I need the fertilizer. :)

More seriously, a local cremation around here costs one or two thousand baht but the cost can increase based on what the family want, extra;s such as flowers, laying in state for a week, a formal burial with lots of people/parking/seating etc all cost more. FWIW I'm planning on 5k baht for mine.

Actually expect most middle class families will be paying about 100k for family member and it can be a lot more (although a good portion of expense may be recovered in attendee envelops).  Expect for basic for GF to do 30k should be available if possible.  This is a very important event (even if we do not see it as such).

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually expect most middle class families will be paying about 100k for family member and it can be a lot more (although a good portion of expense may be recovered in attendee envelops).  Expect for basic for GF to do 30k should be available if possible.  This is a very important event (even if we do not see it as such).

I got my numbers from my wife who has been known on occasion to be very conservative with her money, less so with mine - I suspect she'll be burning me in the back garden from the sound of things, not that I shall care at the time.

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is the associated cost the burning itself would be no more tham 3 to 5k at the very most. This guy is single here so a basic burning no need for food ect ect

30 to 40k no chance total rip off. Burn you for 2k pocket the rest. Find a woman give her 10k to burn you she can keep the rest then

The 30 to 40k plans can often be communal village plans as well as more formal insurance coverage and is more designed to cover additional costs like the 3-5-7 day vigil after the death as well as a burning ceremony.

I was quite surprised when my MiL died not to have to pay as someone came round to the house with money from the village fund the day after she died while everyone was sat outside playing Hi-Lo.

The village fund is a diffrent thing altogether i am a member of our village fund 140 people  in it each gives 1k to head man. He then  passes it on to relatives this is seperate from envelopes given. However some company in Bangkok selling plans for 30 to 40k is aimed at farang naive farang at that

Edited by jeab1980

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

That is the associated cost the burning itself would be no more tham 3 to 5k at the very most. This guy is single here so a basic burning no need for food ect ect

He states having a GF and expect they have friends so a normal 3 days would likely be considered minimum (especially with a foreigner involved). 

The basic cost if your Embassy arranges cremation would likely be between 30-40k - this is the normal funeral home price without services.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2017/02/funeral-homes-prices-northen-thailand.pdf

Just now, lopburi3 said:

He states having a GF and expect they have friends so a normal 3 days would likely be considered minimum (especially with a foreigner involved). 

The basic cost if your Embassy arranges cremation would likely be between 30-40k - this is the normal funeral home price without services.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2017/02/funeral-homes-prices-northen-thailand.pdf

But where not talking about Funeral homes or embassy involvment. If he has a girlfriend he can tell her no lying in state 1 day turn around. But he needs to put it in writing as she would not be considrred his NOK.

The village fund is a diffrent thing altogether i am a member of our village fund 140 people  in it each gives 1k to head man. He then  passes it on to relatives this is seperate from envelopes given. However some company in Bangkok selling plans for 30 to 40k is aimed at farang naive farang at that

Not aware of any aimed specifically at farang and can't see where that was mentioned. There are seperate policies available for Thais where village funds aren't available or accessible to all though not sure why a farang would bother since I would doubt there are many where that sort of sum would not be available elsewhere.

Just now, Orac said:

Not aware of any aimed specifically at farang and can't see where that was mentioned. There are seperate policies available for Thais where village funds aren't available or accessible to all though not sure why a farang would bother since I would doubt there are many where that sort of sum would not be available elsewhere.

Yes there are im sure but i would has it a guess in fact more than a guess that the average village living Thai would. 1 not know about these plans. 2. Could never afford them anyway. Villagers look after there own here.so any company in BKK would purley be for BKK and associated farang in that area.

I understand and I apologise if I am wrong, that you also need or should name a person who will light the funeral pyre.

An important factor in costs is the amount of time you are in cold store at hospital.   Arranging the funeral details should therefore be done in advance.

Your local embassy can give details of 'reliable' funeral directors in Bangkok that would "collect" from outside but, expensive.

The difficulty I have is that I would prefer a non-religious place of cremation and no ceremony - I expect most people would say if your dead you won't know where it takes place anyway .....

Certainly make your wishes known in advance, in writing, you can always change them.

I have two relevant clauses in my will:

a) my wife is the executor

B) my wife has the sole and total control of my remains.

I know she will have a usual Thai BBQ and I really don't give a hoot about the whole thing. Dead is dead.

Our small village has a funeral plan. They feel like a big funeral party is very important. Everyone puts some money in the plan every month. Those funerals are not cheap. There is normally a big party with gambling, booze, music and often even dancing girls. My wife says that some funerals cost 200,000 baht. Of course the fund doesn't pay near that much. Families with money want to have big faces and pull out all the stops. For a farang or town drunk, the monks are the main expense. About 30,000 baht.

I told my wife that I didn't want a big party and was promptly told that it wasn't up to me and she didn't want to talk about it.

to do the cremation itself  it is only a few thousand baht, doesnt include any other charges for the monks themselves, all the rest is for food and a general p*ss up for the guests. If you just want a cremation it is very cheap, not sure who to get to arrange it but you could always go straight to your local wat and ask the monks.

Edited by seajae

On 5/31/2017 at 8:41 AM, LannaGuy said:

This is a serious topic and I'd rather pay 'up front ' too!  it's not about 'you will be dead and not care' it's about your friends left behind who need to undertakes this and tidy things up.

I agree and not burdening my partner or friends with making such arrangements was my main consideration in prepaying for funeral service with the Bangkok office of a well established Australian Funeral company.  My request was for a simple Buddhist ceremony (more to please my Thai partner as well as not subjecting friends to the more typical lengthy Thai funeral). 

Included in the plan is for the Funeral Directors to claim my body and and transport it to Pattaya (even if it is at the Police Hospital for autopsy in Bangkok - they do not include autopsy cost in the plan), make arrangements with Wat and pay for the ceremony and cremation with the provision that they give my ashes to my Partner.  They also arrange for and pick up my Embassy's certification of death abroad - US Embassy.  This company has handled several funerals/cremations here in Pattaya of Expats and came highly recommended.

If you just want the "Basic" burning, were someone can go and pick up your ashes the next day I am told that 5K would cover this.

However if you want the 3 day package with Monks etc. about 30K.

Then you can have more days feed everyone, parties, etc.. Cost would then be very high.

Instead of "wasting"  your  body why not do what Me and Mrs  Me have done and give it to the hospital to carve up for their students etc.that way youll get no costs

On 5/31/2017 at 11:12 AM, Gary A said:

Our small village has a funeral plan. They feel like a big funeral party is very important. Everyone puts some money in the plan every month. Those funerals are not cheap. There is normally a big party with gambling, booze, music and often even dancing girls. My wife says that some funerals cost 200,000 baht. Of course the fund doesn't pay near that much. Families with money want to have big faces and pull out all the stops. For a farang or town drunk, the monks are the main expense. About 30,000 baht.

I told my wife that I didn't want a big party and was promptly told that it wasn't up to me and she didn't want to talk about it.

1 year after party 10 years ago for the Wifes  Mother..........we  both agreed it was a total waste of  money but outvoted by her 9 Brothers/Sisters

29dh.JPG

e77465.JPG