Transfer of ownership farang to farang

I am looking to sell my pickup to another farang. The vehicle is all in my name but when I purchased it it was from a farang who had his Thai wife with us at Mo Chit DLT so didn't really know what was going on regarding the process.

Unfortunately I cannot have time off work to go to the DLT as I think it is only open weekdays. As such I think I need:

An added complexity is I live in Bangkok and the buyer will be coming from Pattaya and wants to come to buy on a weekend. 

If someone could help answer these that would be great:

1. Is it only the Power of Attorney, Vehicle Transfer and signed Passport, visa, work permit needed on my behalf?
  2. Will the buyer need to go to a Bangkok DLT office as he lives in another province, or can this be done from Pattaya?
  3. Anything I am missing here?

Cheers for any help in advance

If the buyer wants to register the vehicle in Pattaya, he will need 2 copies of everything. First, he will  get a new Pattaya  registration plate and It will cost 500bt per 100k of the vehicle price.   Then register the vehicle in his name.  It takes a few days to complete everything.

I would also get a copy of the buyers passport in case there are any problems later on.

Sorry, so will the buyer need to do all this in Bangkok? Or can he come to me in BKK, pay and take the vehicle with copies of my passport, visa and work permit, power of attorney and transfer of ownership on a weekend and do all this in Pattaya?

You can drive with any plates through Thailand, i.e. transfer of ownership is one thing and changing the province of registration (of the car, that is) is another. 

Cars with Bangkok plates fetch a better resale value (for whatever reason) and you do NOT want to deal with those idiots in Banglamung. Purchased/sold vehicles in Bangkok - easy; a scooter I purchased in my (farang) name was not sellable because of "fake" chassis number. Telling them that I purchased the vehicle and got it transferred myself in my name at the very same office - did not interest anybody. 

Took the scooter to Bangkok and got it transferred within no time (and they rubbed off the chassis number like in Banglamung and checked their database). Was it a little brown envelope Banglamung wanted - I never found out. 

So just do it in Bangkok, they've arrived in the 21st century 

4 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

You can drive with any plates through Thailand, i.e. transfer of ownership is one thing and changing the province of registration (of the car, that is) is another. 

Cars with Bangkok plates fetch a better resale value (for whatever reason) and you do NOT want to deal with those idiots in Banglamung. Purchased/sold vehicles in Bangkok - easy; a scooter I purchased in my (farang) name was not sellable because of "fake" chassis number. Telling them that I purchased the vehicle and got it transferred myself in my name at the very same office - did not interest anybody. 

Took the scooter to Bangkok and got it transferred within no time (and they rubbed off the chassis number like in Banglamung and checked their database). Was it a little brown envelope Banglamung wanted - I never found out. 

So just do it in Bangkok, they've arrived in the 21st century 

Sounds a bit of a nightmare. 

My problem is the DLT is open weekdays only and my employer will not allow time off to transfer vehicles, so power of attorney is my only option. The buyer wants to come view / take it on a weekend also.

I guess as a seller I just need to ensure he has all the correct paperwork from my end and leave the technicalities of the transfer to him but I would like to advise him as best as I can.

What would you advise I say / recommend to him when he comes to view / buy at the weekend?

Do you know a local Thai dealer? They can do everything for you for a small fee, all the copies everything.

I did this when I bought my son's bike, letter from the Thai seller (or you in this case - power of attourney) then copies of everyone's ID, blue book etc. the dealer can even just take a rubbing from the number plate, doesn't even need to take the vehicle.

The other option would be to ask at your local T.O.R  office, they can get a lot done with the DLT, obviously you will need to pay them a little for their services, but it is peace of mind.

I bought in Bangkok, with power of attorney the seller does not need to be there, so no need to miss work.

We transferred ownership in Bangkok in my wife's name but took about 5 hours - very busy, but straight forward. Then transferred registration to Krabi, arranged from Bangkok and completed (new reg plates) in Krabi.

A friend bought in Hua Hin and did everything in Krabi. So I suggest you get the buyer to visit his local DLT office to check if they can / will do that.

Just now, Tofer said:

I bought in Bangkok, with power of attorney the seller does not need to be there, so no need to miss work.

We transferred ownership in Bangkok in my wife's name but took about 5 hours - very busy, but straight forward. Then transferred registration to Krabi, arranged from Bangkok and completed (new reg plates) in Krabi.

A friend bought in Hua Hin and did everything in Krabi. So I suggest you get the buyer to visit his local DLT office to check if they can / will do that.

So if the buyer wants to come and buy it on a weekend he will need to make another trip to BKK to transfer at the DLT, arrange for transfer of plates to different province and collect in pattaya.

Hopefully any issues he has should be fine as long as my end is all complete document wise.

My last question is does anyone have a translated version of the vehicle transfer form and power of attorney as I have no idea what each field is. Cheers 

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Sorry, but this is no longer true, DLT changed the rules in 2016, the car now HAS to be registered in the Province as per the owner's address, I know this for a fact, as when I paid off the finance on my car it was on BKK plates, to get the Blue book, then I had to change the plates to Chonburi as I was using a Chonburi address.

They would not allow me to use the existing BKK plates with a Chonburi address in the Blue book.

When the ownership changes and the new owner resides in a different province than the car is registered in, then they will be required to re-register the vehicle.

3 hours ago, Bmouthboyo said:

So if the buyer wants to come and buy it on a weekend he will need to make another trip to BKK to transfer at the DLT, arrange for transfer of plates to different province and collect in pattaya.

No. He will need to do it in Pattaya.

1 minute ago, stubuzz said:

No. He will need to do it in Pattaya.

OK so I think I get the process now.

Essentially he can get a minibus from Pattaya to meet me in Bangkok, I then give him all the documents I mentioned at the top of this post and he can take the car straight back to Pattaya. 

He can then do the entire transfer process at a local DLT in Pattaya.

Have I got it right or am I confusing myself?

Thanks for all your help guys.

to do this you need the power of attorney form, the second form you mentionned. 2x signed copies of the book (the book supposedly has to be signed in the bottom middle part on that line) and 2x signed copies of passport on photo picture, on visa and possibly on "allowed to" page

you also need a Certificate of Residence for selling a vehicle which is from immigration, supposed to be free but usually charged up to 500 baht with no receipts. those can possibly be gotten from the Police station (1000 baht, 555) but you will need proof of address

signed by you on the relevant parts of the forms mentioned before too of course.

I just did it yesterday.

one of those form I was told was maybe not needed but I can't tell you which one..

car_poa.pdf

post-2109-0-73546100-1404879489.jpg

post-2109-0-91803800-1404879796.jpg

6 hours ago, Bmouthboyo said:

Hopefully any issues he has should be fine as long as my end is all complete document wise.

My last question is does anyone have a translated version of the vehicle transfer form and power of attorney as I have no idea what each field is. Cheers 

Better safe than sorry, get the buyer to check with the Pattaya office first.

On 5/31/2017 at 9:26 AM, Bmouthboyo said:

Sounds a bit of a nightmare. 

My problem is the DLT is open weekdays only and my employer will not allow time off to transfer vehicles, so power of attorney is my only option. The buyer wants to come view / take it on a weekend also.

I guess as a seller I just need to ensure he has all the correct paperwork from my end and leave the technicalities of the transfer to him but I would like to advise him as best as I can.

What would you advise I say / recommend to him when he comes to view / buy at the weekend?

Make sure you sell him the car with a piece of paper of a sales contract nature.

Ensure that it refers to the condition of the car "bought as seen" and also write, that the insurance is cancelled the next working day and that the transfer has to be done immediately. Also keep a copy of his/her ID card/passport. 

Keep these papers in case of an accident later on. If the car, at the moment of an accident, is not transferred yet then you (resp. your insurance) can be held responsible. 

Good luck! 

On 5/31/2017 at 1:03 PM, Mattd said:

Sorry, but this is no longer true, DLT changed the rules in 2016, the car now HAS to be registered in the Province as per the owner's address, I know this for a fact, as when I paid off the finance on my car it was on BKK plates, to get the Blue book, then I had to change the plates to Chonburi as I was using a Chonburi address.

They would not allow me to use the existing BKK plates with a Chonburi address in the Blue book.

When the ownership changes and the new owner resides in a different province than the car is registered in, then they will be required to re-register the vehicle.

Interesting what you say. I am having difficulty with a new Toyota that we have just bought in Isaan. We paid the dealer extra to have Bangkok plates (as my wife likes them!). However when I produced my proof of residence (from Chonburi where I have a condo) they returned the extra payment, handed me the paperwork and politely told me to bugger off 400 miles to Chonburi and do it myself. I was not best pleased as I already have one car with Bangkok plates and two bikes from Khon Kaen all registered at my Chonburi address.

Oddly enough the Toyota staff said that my (Thai) wife could register the car in Bangkok if it was in her name so the new rule you mention can't be watertight. Maybe there are agents that know ways and means still. My wife is still giving me grief for buying the car in a provincial town rather than a big city where she thinks they would know what to do!

@sniggie as far as I know the rules changed around September last year and apply to all, not just Farangs.

It only becomes an issue when you want to do like you wanted and register a new vehicle in a different province, or when something changes, i.e. ownership or address.

My car was originally purchased on finance and was on Bangkok plates, when I decided to pay off the finance early the issues started, as went to the British embassy and got a residence certificate (at stupid cost, but no choice due to working in Bangkok) at the request of BMW Leasing, this showed my home in Chonburi, when the leasing company tried to register the car fully in my name the DLT refused and basically issued the car with a notice to change the plates to Chonburi within 30 days, the rest I did myself in Chonburi and it was actually surprisingly easy to do, that time I got the residence certificate from Jomtien immigration.

6 hours ago, Mattd said:

@sniggie as far as I know the rules changed around September last year and apply to all, not just Farangs.

It only becomes an issue when you want to do like you wanted and register a new vehicle in a different province, or when something changes, i.e. ownership or address.

My car was originally purchased on finance and was on Bangkok plates, when I decided to pay off the finance early the issues started, as went to the British embassy and got a residence certificate (at stupid cost, but no choice due to working in Bangkok) at the request of BMW Leasing, this showed my home in Chonburi, when the leasing company tried to register the car fully in my name the DLT refused and basically issued the car with a notice to change the plates to Chonburi within 30 days, the rest I did myself in Chonburi and it was actually surprisingly easy to do, that time I got the residence certificate from Jomtien immigration.

Thanks for your response. For me eventually registering in Chonburi is no problem but my wife won't like it with it's obvious connotations. Neither would she want to drive around with a Nongbualamphu plate as she thinks that marks her out as a thick Isaan hayseed. Oh, well. Maybe her disappointment will pass eventually but it will always be my fault!

• 1 year later...

Any one care to offer any updates to the article?

I'm selling a car Friday farang to farang.

All is good.

He has driven the car, I have sat with him and we had a cuppa and then I gave him a few days to do his stuff and checks.

No pressure.

I was told that it's only the buyer who has to provide a certificate of residence. 

And me to provide the blue book and copy of my id passport etc.

The registration is just paid for another year. 

He understands that the 1st class insurance policy expires in 10 days.

I will go with him to land transport. 

* when I bought it, it was a massive delay using an agent and changing the plates from Bangkok to Pattaya. 

Plus 5200 fees.

A previous post from me tells the story. 

I'm confident we have enough brains to do it ourselves and save a few thousand baht. 

Appreciate the feedback and any downloadable pages anyone can offer.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:57 PM, dallen52 said:

Any one care to offer any updates to the article?

I'm selling a car Friday farang to farang.

All is good.

He has driven the car, I have sat with him and we had a cuppa and then I gave him a few days to do his stuff and checks.

No pressure.

I was told that it's only the buyer who has to provide a certificate of residence. 

And me to provide the blue book and copy of my id passport etc.

The registration is just paid for another year. 

He understands that the 1st class insurance policy expires in 10 days.

I will go with him to land transport. 

* when I bought it, it was a massive delay using an agent and changing the plates from Bangkok to Pattaya. 

Plus 5200 fees.

A previous post from me tells the story. 

I'm confident we have enough brains to do it ourselves and save a few thousand baht. 

Appreciate the feedback and any downloadable pages anyone can offer.

I have never sold a car but sold many bikes and 100% of the time they asked for a certificate of residence, this is including both farang to farang AND farang to Thai.

if you have a work permit you "might" be fine. don't quote me on that but I was sold a bike from a farang in BKK with only a copy of her work permit along with the signed docs and green book

15 hours ago, kekalot said:

I have never sold a car but sold many bikes and 100% of the time they asked for a certificate of residence, this is including both farang to farang AND farang to Thai.

if you have a work permit you "might" be fine. don't quote me on that but I was sold a bike from a farang in BKK with only a copy of her work permit along with the signed docs and green book

Just an update..General. 

Rocked up at Jomtien to get a certificate of residence. 

Because they say you need one to sell a car now.

I haven't had to have one before. 

The Buyer yes.

Anyway. 

Need the cars blue book or bikes green book. 

In order to get certificate. 

So another trip required. 

Jomtien immigration 8/11.

Rules of the day.

And still charging 300 per copy.

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Just an update..General. 

Rocked up at Jomtien to get a certificate of residence. 

Because they say you need one to sell a car now.

I haven't had to have one before. 

The Buyer yes.

Anyway. 

Jomtien immigration 8/11.

Rules of the day.

And still charging 300 per copy.

and let me guess, no receipt?

consider yourself lucky, they charge 500 baht in Phetchaburi. no receipts either. (because it should be free)

and if you are in a bind the police can make one for you for 1000 baht

take a word template, write a few words on it, print and stamp

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Anyway. 

That's  new !  I wonder why they want to see    blue/green book when the residence certificate only states your name,nationality,age,address,passport number,  visa category and  admitted till date...there is nothing on there about   buying selling vehicles or opening bank accounts.so......????residence.thumb.jpg.4457999727119d3d894bfb48ecec7d2e.jpg

7 hours ago, johng said:

That's  new !  I wonder why they want to see    blue/green book when the residence certificate only states your name,nationality,age,address,passport number,  visa category and  admitted till date...there is nothing on there about   buying selling vehicles or opening bank accounts.so......????residence.thumb.jpg.4457999727119d3d894bfb48ecec7d2e.jpg

Many were sent packing today.

It says certificate is for,

Bank account or car / bike.

Must have blue / green book and copies for selling.

Must have copy of vehicle you are buying book.

Quite a few miffed people. 

At least my reporting and TM6 seem to check out ????.

148 issues up to 4pm.

50% were buy and sell. So 2x

Approximately 225 x 300 baht.

67,500 for one days haul.

For a supposed free service.

Let's see what number of trees we kill at Land transport tomorrow. 

And more to the point. 

How much 2 farang get slugged. 

Archived