British expat Danny Glass denies fatal reckless driving charge, seeks donations for legal help

webfact

Danny Glass denies fatal reckless driving charge, seeks donations for legal help

Shela Riva

1496195251_1-org.jpg

Danny Glass, pictured here with Sophie Anderson, is calling for donations to fund lawyers for the undated court case. Photo: YouCaring / Danny Glass

PHUKET: British expat Danny Glass has denied the charge of reckless driving causing death for the motorbike accident that killed his long-term partner Sophie Anderson and is calling for donations to help fund his legal defence.

Mr Glass was formally charged at Thalang Police Station on Saturday (May 27).

Ms Anderson, who was six months pregnant, was riding pillion on a motorbike when she spilled onto Thepkrasattri Rd in Thalang and was crushed by an 18-wheeled truck on May 8, leaving her 5-year-old son Shaye without his mother. 

The driver of the truck – Nattawoot Kimchue, 30, from Phang Nga Province – initially fled the scene but later surrendered himself to police. He was also charged with reckless driving by Thalang police on Saturday.

“The police are trying to give me a charge of reckless driving, which I do not agree with whatsoever, because I was driving under the speed limit… I was driving in a straight line. I wasn’t doing anything illegal on the bike. So yeah, it is a wrong accusation that I have refused as of yesterday...” Mr Glass explained on his YouTube channel on Sunday.

“It was an accident. It was not the driver’s fault that he ran her over, it was an accident on his side and on my side. No one is to blame. It was just one of those freak accidents that happen,” Mr Glass said.

To fight the charge, Mr Glass appealed for public support to help fund his legal defence.

Full story:  http://www.thephuketnews.com/danny-glass-denies-fatal-reckless-driving-charge-seeks-donations-for-legal-help-62370.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-31

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This doesn't sound right. The prosecutor has yet to even decide if he will pursue the charge. If he decides not to, (and there is a fair chance he will not), there will be no need for legal defense or legal fees. No bail money has been asked for. And even if the case does proceed, 300,000 Baht is a ludicrously high figure for a case like this. Given that I work for a lawyer, I should know.

I do accept, given the information provided, that it does sound like a tragic accident, but I will not be donating.

“It was an accident. It was not the driver’s fault that he ran her over, it was an accident on his side and on my side. No one is to blame. It was just one of those freak accidents that happen,” Mr Glass said. So why should anybody give him money for his accident. 

29 minutes ago, BangkokNicky said:

“It was an accident. It was not the driver’s fault that he ran her over, it was an accident on his side and on my side. No one is to blame. It was just one of those freak accidents that happen,” Mr Glass said. So why should anybody give him money for his accident. 

They shouldn't. He is currently begging bcoz he lost his main source of income in the tragedy that day. 

If he isn't charged, then no need for legal defence. It's a crowdfunding scam. 

25 minutes ago, saakura said:

So what does Danny do for a living as an expat in Phuket?

According to an earlier article in the Phuket News:

Mr Glass [...] is a psychology graduate and a detox and wellness professional. As part of his work, he runs the Sun Fruit Dan channel on YouTube. 

29 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to an earlier article in the Phuket News:

Yeah he and his associate/partner have a bunch of Youtube stuff.  A little unconventional would be a fair description I think.  Basically looks like they were living in Thailand and doing some of their "work" online.  Skittering around the as yet fully defined or tested working online laws without a work permit.  Some posts there sure imply that one or both were doing some other things there that are not online. 

He already stated on a Youtube video that he lost control of his scooter as he had to brake too hard to avoid the vehicle in front that stopped suddenly. 

He lost control and bailed. The scooter and passenger fell.... etc..

It seems easy money is aplenty in thailand.....asking money for court cases, money for hospital stays, money for air tickets to go home

and money for etc etc etc......thailand is a haven....:stoner:

Driving under speed limit doesn't mean that he wasn't going too fast. If one is doing 45km/hr and the traffic in front is doing 10 to 20km/hr,  then riding under the speed limit doesn't quite have the same meaning.

The truth is that the vehicle in front didn't stop at all. The traffic ahead had begun to slow down five seconds beforehand.

He was going too fast and noted the slowdown of the traffic too late. Not the fault of the truck driver. He was in a completely different lane.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Driving under speed limit doesn't mean that he wasn't going too fast. If one is doing 45km/hr and the traffic in front is doing 10 to 20km/hr,  then riding under the speed limit doesn't quite have the same meaning.

The truth is that the vehicle in front didn't stop at all. The traffic ahead had begun to slow down five seconds beforehand.

He was going too fast and noted the slowdown of the traffic too late. Not the fault of the truck driver. He was in a completely different lane.

sounds like undue care and attention from all the reports ive read. 

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

He already stated on a Youtube video that he lost control of his scooter as he had to brake too hard to avoid the vehicle in front that stopped suddenly. 

i thought it was a parked car but anyway if what you are saying is true he was too close the the car in front, so not paying attention or careless driving ?

I personally find this man's behavior most bizarre and personally rather distasteful. I have no idea about the accident, as I was not there and can not comment. It would not be fair or correct. But one can comment on how someone behaves after such a tragic and sad event, especially as he is himself, is making it so public. His girlfriend he loved and their baby died. It is tragically sad. For all concerned and the family of the lady who died. However, someone directed me to his YouTube postings and I appreciate it is the modern world we live in, but is it normal to post fairly long and multiple videos about yourself and talk about how you are doing ?  Other than a few moments of breakdown into teary eyes, mostly it seemed to be about oneself.  In a few I almost felt he was selling me some sort of spiritual philosophy of his, that quite frankly is incredibly shallow to say the very least. Maybe I misinterpreted it and maybe I am wrong...But I can only say how I felt watching it...It was almost like promoting himself off the back of a tragically sad event. An ego massage.  A cry for attention. I am not saying at all, that is the case, but it is what I felt when watching them. Maybe its me and I am too traditional. But for me, doing it diminishes the sorrow and sends out all the wrong vibes. It  seems very strange to me, to do it. But maybe that is me and this is the modern world. But so soon after it happened ? Not saying he was, or did do it for wrong reasons. It could be I just do not understand people who go public about terribly sad events.  But I almost felt he was on a promotional ego trip. As I say not to cast any aspersions, or bad light on people I do not know. But all I can say, it is how I felt watching them. I certainly would not donate one baht, based on what I saw and felt from watching them. Sad.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This doesn't sound right. The prosecutor has yet to even decide if he will pursue the charge. If he decides not to, (and there is a fair chance he will not), there will be no need for legal defense or legal fees. No bail money has been asked for. And even if the case does proceed, 300,000 Baht is a ludicrously high figure for a case like this. Given that I work for a lawyer, I should know.

I do accept, given the information provided, that it does sound like a tragic accident, but I will not be donating.

Read this previous accidental death trial ... 

"PHUKET: -- Thomas Keating, the Australian tourist charged with the death of his girlfriend in a jet-ski collision off Phuket last month, has been handed down as two-year suspended jail sentence and fined B5,000 for reckless driving causing death.

The sentence, handed down at Phuket Provincial Court this morning, brings to an end formal proceedings for a death that the victim’s family – and today the judge – have publicly recognised as a “terrible accident” and a “tragedy”."

14 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Read this previous accidental death trial ... 

"PHUKET: -- Thomas Keating, the Australian tourist charged with the death of his girlfriend in a jet-ski collision off Phuket last month, has been handed down as two-year suspended jail sentence and fined B5,000 for reckless driving causing death.

The sentence, handed down at Phuket Provincial Court this morning, brings to an end formal proceedings for a death that the victim’s family – and today the judge – have publicly recognised as a “terrible accident” and a “tragedy”."

I am well aware of the case. Here was my reply on this forum when that verdict was given.

"An ounce of common sense at last. And a face saving verdict in to the bargain.

Charging him, for what was a tragic accident, was not smart, but no good would have come from anything other than allowing him to go home."

What has happened to date in this case is the police have accused him and handed the file to the Prosecutor who has 84 days to decide if to actually formally charge him. Or the lorry driver, or both, or neither.

If he is charged it would be time to get a lawyer, but a normal price for a lawyer for a case like this should be no more than 50,000 Baht, so I am still asking why 300,000 is needed, so early in proceedings?

16 minutes ago, davidcc said:

I personally find this man's behavior most bizarre and personally rather distasteful. I have no idea about the accident, as I was not there and can not comment. It would not be fair or correct. But one can comment on how someone behaves after such a tragic and sad event, especially as he is himself, is making it so public. His girlfriend he loved and their baby died. It is tragically sad. For all concerned and the family of the lady who died. However, someone directed me to his YouTube postings and I appreciate it is the modern world we live in, but is it normal to post fairly long and multiple videos about yourself and talk about how you are doing ?  Other than a few moments of breakdown into teary eyes, mostly it seemed to be about oneself.  In a few I almost felt he was selling me some sort of spiritual philosophy of his, that quite frankly is incredibly shallow to say the very least. Maybe I misinterpreted it and maybe I am wrong...But I can only say how I felt watching it...It was almost like promoting himself off the back of a tragically sad event. An ego massage.  A cry for attention. I am not saying at all, that is the case, but it is what I felt when watching them. Maybe its me and I am too traditional. But for me, doing it diminishes the sorrow and sends out all the wrong vibes. It  seems very strange to me, to do it. But maybe that is me and this is the modern world. But so soon after it happened ? Not saying he was, or did do it for wrong reasons. It could be I just do not understand people who go public about terribly sad events.  But I almost felt he was on a promotional ego trip. As I say not to cast any aspersions, or bad light on people I do not know. But all I can say, it is how I felt watching them. I certainly would not donate one baht, based on what I saw and felt from watching them. Sad.

mate i could not have put it any better.

your spot on when i looked at the you tube video i thought id clicked on the wrong video and thought i was watching an advert for Amway products or something similar. the mans a disgrace, 

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I am well aware of the case. Here was my reply on this forum when that verdict was given.

"An ounce of common sense at last. And a face saving verdict in to the bargain.

Charging him, for what was a tragic accident, was not smart, but no good would have come from anything other than allowing him to go home."

What has happened to date in this case is the police have accused him and handed the file to the Prosecutor who has 84 days to decide if to actually formally charge him.

If he is charged it would be time to get a lawyer, but a normal price for a lawyer for a case like this should be no more than 50,000 Baht, so I am still asking why 300,000 is needed, so early in proceedings?

I agree. Trouble is he wants to plead not guilty which requires a defense team and will take forever in the Thai court system. If found guilty he will  likely face jail time. The Aussie guy did the right thing by pleading guilty, expedited trial date, suspended sentence, small fine.

That's why this guy is asking for 300,000 baht as the defense team will fleece him pleading and defending a not guilty plea.

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

I agree. Trouble is he wants to plead not guilty which requires a defense team and will take forever in the Thai court system. If found guilty he will  likely face jail time. The Aussie guy did the right thing by pleading guilty, expedited trial date, suspended sentence, small fine.

That's why this guy is asking for 300,000 baht as the defense team will fleece him pleading and defending a not guilty plea.

I get that. However, as my first post mentioned, I work with a very good lawyer in Pattaya. He would take a case like this, including going to trial for  a fraction of what are friend here is being quoted. Paying 500% above the going rate is one thing if you are paying for it yourself, but asking others to is a bit strong. Do a deal with the prosecutor, same result as the Jet Ski case, lawyer fee 20K. Full trial. with probable similar outcome, lawyer fee 50K.

I personally believe that large chunks of funded monies may well be used for "day to day living expenses" in the meantime, not on fees per se.

2 hours ago, R123 said:

Did Mr. Glass have an Insurance Policy?

If so then the Insurance company can deal with it.

If no insurance policy, why not?

beat me to it

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

He was obviously tailgating, or following the vehicle in front of him too closely, and wasn't able to safely stop in time when the truck stopped suddenly. In countries like the US or the UK, that is a definite traffic violation. When an accident occurs because of tailgating, it is no doubt reckless driving. Guilty as charged in my opinion. 

Archived