webfact

Apple, the make of IPhone can use this story as an advertising gimmick

with : "our phones are so good, people kill for it ".. yeah a bit macabre

but all is fair to get the sales up....

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Just goes to show justice can be served. Although it also goes how different the serving of justice can be. On the one hand a callous murder has ended with a quick sentencing, on the other a callous running over of an officer of the law is 4-5 years old and still no action. (Again it has suddenly gone very very quiet. Would be worth finding out whether Thailand did actually file anything with Interpol or just talked a lot and waited for it to blow over again)

Still not showing as wanted on INTERPOL's website. 

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

You haven't thought this through.

I can think of a number of useful purposes:

1. It gets rid of 2 dangerous people who are a waste of space.

2. It saves the cost of lifetime incarceration.

3. It frees up prison space for people more likely to benefit.

4. It prevents the possibility of them getting out of prison and killing again. 

Regarding your theory that capital punishment has been proven not to act as a deterrent (around the world). Have studies been carried out in Thailand? I'm sure results will vary from country to country. Even if it only deters a small number of criminals it's still worth it IMO.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

No, I think 30 years would be a good starting point. 

Up to $100,000 per year to keep inmates incarcerated in the west. Why waste $6million on these lowlifes?  I realize it is less $ here, but you get the point.

The stabber stated at the time of his arrest that the victim would still be alive if he hadn't resisted when his Iphone was grabbed. Not someone with any regard for life, now he can suffer the consequences and forfeit his own. This is a guy who should never have the opportunity to kill again.

55 minutes ago, Bezdomny said:

I hope for same penalty for those scumbags who murdered disabled man in Bangkok. Wait, they were policeman sons?

All gone quiet on that one too !! as you say policemans sons involved !! So very very wrong

If you carry a knife out on the streets with you then anything that happens with that knife is premeditated.

If that knife ends up being used and the result is death then it cannot be anything but premeditated murder.

Society is better off without that kind of scum in it. The sentence should be carried out the same day as in China.

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

They get what they deserved. I'm still amazed with people opposing death penalty because only strict law will deter people from committing these kind of crimes.

How can "strict law" deter people from committing these kinds of crimes?

Nothing could have prevented this. A lot of people think the death penalty is all about being a deterrent. Why not see it as a just punishment for horrific crimes committed and justice for the families. That alone makes it a good thing IMO.

I'm sure the people who are against the death penalty could be turned around if their own family members or friends were brutally murdered.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

While I don't agree with the halving of sentences for confessing, why should the fact there is strong evidence make a difference in applying the rule?

because if there isn't sufficient hard evidence, merely circumstantial, you are saving the police and courts time and resources by confessing, it could also show remorse, it certainly clears the case book for which they are grateful.

2 hours ago, saakura said:

The sentence should be carried out immediately.

No, it will not be carried out immediately.

Slowly the facts seem to enlighten more and more countries that state endorsed vengeance killings don't deter criminals but make said criminals more criminal and thereby making society more dangerous.

Of course only really enlightened countries will see that.

Not like some countries where authorities want to execute a bunch of criminals, many of them on deathrow for years, as fast as possible, because the killing fluids are reaching their use before date.

I find it quite strange that the guy isn't smiling now, as he did when he was originally at the police station after he was caught.

Hope you go straight to hell where you deserve to suffer for your atrocious crime on that innocent kid, over a phone, what kind of moron does that, the extinct kind soon 555

I also don't think that the DP deters future crime but it should save money by not caring for the guilty party (no free lunch) and it helps the victim's family in bringing closure. 

Dont know about how long between sentence and execution but in America it has failed miserably as everyone is on death row with delays and appeals...

if if found guilty with sentence, carry the Damn thing out asap..it doesn't help anyone with no time table...

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

good riddance .....   you took that poor guys life away.

rot in hell.

My sentiment exactly, and I really hope his death is met by a large knife in jail, they way he carved up that innocent kid !

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

because if there isn't sufficient hard evidence, merely circumstantial, you are saving the police and courts time and resources by confessing, it could also show remorse, it certainly clears the case book for which they are grateful.

On the other hand, even if there is a confession the police must find hard evidence to minimise the chance the court condemns an innocent.

Circumstantial evidence is never enough.

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

So is it a discretionary power or is it a "hard and fast rule"?

3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

On the other hand, even if there is a confession the police must find hard evidence to minimise the chance the court condemns an innocent.

Circumstantial evidence is never enough.

combined with a confession it might be, but if he is going to confess he might as well tell you where he hid the knife.

Obviously their families are a bit short on big money otherwise their penalty instead of death or incarceration would be three months voluntary work in a hospital at of time of their own convenience.

In Thailand justice and money are closely intertwined.

7 minutes ago, hansnl said:

No, it will not be carried out immediately.

Slowly the facts seem to enlighten more and more countries that state endorsed vengeance killings don't deter criminals but make said criminals more criminal and thereby making society more dangerous.

Of course only really enlightened countries will see that.

LOL> "state-endorsed vengeance killings"... sounds like a line from an anti-capital punishment lobbyist.

And then the part about making criminals more criminal and making society more dangerous. Seriously?

And then, just to cap it off, you say that anyone who doesn't agree is unenlightened.

I don't think you're as enlightened as you like to think you are.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Or is it that the judge has the discretion to half a sentence, but there is no automatic right to it if you confess?

I think you are probably right in that any leniency is at the discretion of the judges

2 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

It will serve a very useful purpose in that the two people will not be doing it again to another unfortunate victim !

2 hours ago, Prbkk said:

well it would stop them re offending on release

hmmm.....learning the  ability to delay gratification and  having boundaries set on behaviour are 2 key factors missing in the development of many Thai youths I suggest and possibly modern youth the world over

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

They get what they deserved. I'm still amazed with people opposing death penalty because only strict law will deter people from committing these kind of crimes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just like it does in America?

Archived