Two who killed man for iPhone sentenced to death

webfact

2 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

Exactly; a clear signifier that points to a nation being socially evolved and developed is if that nation still uses capital punishment. Killing as a form of punishment is rarely ever seen in the developed world. It has been proven time and time again not to be a deterrent and furthermore causes innocent people to be caught up in it. More importantly however is the fact that a government simply cannot kill it's own people as a form of punishment and then expect the very same people not to kill each other, that is a double standard. The US is the only 'developed' nation that still carries out such a punishment on a regular basis and so wide spread, and check out the crime rates there.. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

Well it might not be a deterrent, but you can be sure that those two won't ever do it again and that makes it all worth the effort!

2 hours ago, Prbkk said:

If it makes people feel safer, then it's serving a useful purpose.

3 hours ago, lupin said:

My understanding in this, and I may be wrong,  was that they confessed only after having seen the overwhelming evidence against them....

This has already been established in the news article.

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

It certainly stops recidivism.

1 minute ago, NotThatGuy said:

the stabber yes... what does the dipshit driver gotta do with it?

In most jurisdictions it would be judged to be a conspiracy to commit a crime. In the perpetration of it a person was killed. So whatever the criminal equivalent is of joint and several liability applies. Both equally culpable even though the driver is not violent.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Better stick with the 500 baht fine system then, that seems to work a treat !!

Come on 'Cornish'! There are other options between a slap on the wrist and legalized murder. Maybe too much sauce with your pasty?  :licklips:

I will wait to see it before I will believe it. When they are dead I will feel justice has been served until then I cannot accept in the world time passes and all is forgotten and these guys walk.Until I read they are dead it is justice talk to me.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

About time this lawless society was reigned in... Will it deter others ? Lets hope so....

It has been proven in the USA where we went from death penalty to no death penalty and back to the death penalty, that the death penalty  does not deter crime. Not in the least.  It's a waste of time and money and life. Better to put money into law enforcement, education, healthcare etc. which can help to reduce crime.

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

true, sadly, the state off the world is shocking, no money for the poor, plenty for the rich.

Only this evening the NZ government is being blamed for the massive increase in small shop robberies which are rife.

The massive increase in tobacco prises being one factor, since the government did this the crime rate has gone through the roof.

Low paid workers, workers exploited by the rich importing Burmese labour, only will raise crime levels and murder.

When there is no jobs or pathetic pay and conditions workers will decide not to work as it does not reap any benefit other than poverty which they already have, then choose to steal and end up on drugs = I need a fix, more stealing , a viscous circle created by the sick world.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

About time this lawless society was reigned in... Will it deter others ? Lets hope so....

It appears the criminals were poor, so justice is swift. Had they had wealth or political connections I doubt it would be as swift. 

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

I am not sure it doesn't serve a useful purpose, no recidivism? 

Low cost? 

About time some rich offenders were offed as well. 

3 hours ago, lupin said:

My understanding in this, and I may be wrong,  was that they confessed only after having seen the overwhelming evidence against them....

Did the guy who waited on the bike commit murder? I'm certainly not saying that he shouldn't be punished too but did he know that his mate was gonna slaughter the kid with the phone? Just saying.....Anyway, I guess he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

rain

reign

rein

Such a difficult language.

The death penalty hasn't done much to rein in homicides in those US states that love to execute.

States Without the Death Penalty Have Better Record on Homicide Rates - A new survey by the New York Times found that states without the death penalty have lower homicide rates than states with the death penalty. The Times reports that ten of the twelve states without the death penalty have homicide rates below the national average, whereas half of the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above. During the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48% - 101% higher than in states without the death penalty.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

29 minutes ago, kamahele said:

It has been proven in the USA where we went from death penalty to no death penalty and back to the death penalty, that the death penalty  does not deter crime. Not in the least.  It's a waste of time and money and life. Better to put money into law enforcement, education, healthcare etc. which can help to reduce crime.

It certainly deters those executed for murder... As for the effect it has on others !! What studies have been done on percentage of violent offenders that re-offend on release ?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Regardless of the discussion of whether or not the Death Penalty acts as a deterrent or whether or not its is morally correct for society to judge and impose the death penalty, the simple response is that this sentence removes a person who has proven that he doesn't deserve to be part of society from society at minimal long term cost to society. 

This man killed cold bloodily, there was irrefutable evidence - this is a logical and just sentence. 

He will not have the opportunity to kill an innocent member of the public again. 

Why do you imagine the sentence will be carried out when no one has been executed in Thailand since 2009. Amnesty International has stated that when the death sentence is not used for ten years in a country for all intents and purposes that country can be considered one that no longer has the death penalty. 

This will be commuted to life when the next pardons are announced or perhaps the pardons after that. 

4 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Makes me feel a whole lot better knowing they won't be back on the streets sometime to do it again !!!

If it stops one other person from trying the same thing then it has served a purpose...

plus justice has at last been served !

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

They get what they deserved. I'm still amazed with people opposing death penalty because only strict law will deter people from committing these kind of crimes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I rekon i read that 25% blacks on death row in the States are innocent

Archived