Two who killed man for iPhone sentenced to death

webfact

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

But, as in many other similar cases, they will probably be given bail and disappear into some adjacent country ! I know of no other country where murderers, tried, found guilty and sentenced to death, are given bail. Amazing Thailand indeed.

Did those Burmese scapegoats get ball and disappear yet? 

I think these boys might be low enough to get a the real punishment because they probably don't have influential relatives or it wouldn't have even gotten this far.... 

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

While I don't agree with the halving of sentences for confessing, why should the fact there is strong evidence make a difference in applying the rule?

So just half execute them !

6 hours ago, TheLobster said:

The death sentence is the way to go in undisputed cases like this. No point in wasting money keeping these animals alive.

They keep people on Death Row in the States for years and years at the tax payers cost....best to get shut of murderers quickly in my opinion

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

Interesting exchange, where we see once more that advocates of the death penalty are irrevocably in denial.

'Will it deter others ? let's hope so' says the pro DP,  when it's been proven time and time again that no, it doesn't deter others, and for psychological/social reasons which are not that difficult to grasp. So obviously it's not that he can't be convinced, but that he doesn't want to be convinced.

Prbkk then makes his point in a rational and civilized manner, which immediately elicits sarcasm from the other guy. Why sarcasm, rather than a rational and civilized counter-argument ? Because there is no such argument. Death penalty is about anger and revenge. It is a kind of ideal murder, where your rage is sanctioned by the authorities. We are in a world that is more and more muzzled by the politically correct stance, and one of the negative consequences is that suppressed rage festers more and more inside individuals. Where there is too much pressure, outlets appear, and the death penalty issue is one of them.

Death penalty is not about anger and revenge, well maybe if it's a family member or associate that is murdered.

As others have said, it's a punishment for someone who obviously has no regard for human life.

Offenders re-offend, if that's shop lifting then no major drama but a murderer back on the streets ? No thanks...

Civil enough for you ?

7 hours ago, the donger said:

No it wont, because people don't expect to be caught or weigh the pros/cons. Murder isn't a rational decision.  

These two have wasted the poor victims life and their own. 

I think I've read somewhere that it has been shown that the severity of the punishment is not that much of a deterrent, as long as the probability of getting caught isn't very high. Hence in some rich countries people will strictly obey parking regulations, even though the fines are not that high.

8 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

The death sentence has never been for deterrent. It is there. Because the community thinks that a crime of such a nature is so abhorrent that you are no longer considered a part of that community and for your actions you forfeit your right to live you and pay with your life as token gesture of atonement  

8 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

It won't deter others but it will deter them

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

While I don't agree with the halving of sentences for confessing, why should the fact there is strong evidence make a difference in applying the rule?

If there isn't strong evidence then confessing can be construed to show a degree of remorse by admitting the wrong and illegal act.

If the evidence is strong, as in this case undeniable, then admitting the offense can be seen as hoping for a softer sentence in the face of overwhelming guilt.

6 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm.....learning the  ability to delay gratification and  having boundaries set on behaviour are 2 key factors missing in the development of many Thai youths I suggest and possibly modern youth the world over

I can remember that

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

If there isn't strong evidence then confessing can be construed to show a degree of remorse by admitting the wrong and illegal act.

If the evidence is strong, as in this case undeniable, then admitting the offense can be seen as hoping for a softer sentence in the face of overwhelming guilt.

So it's discretionary rather a set procedure?

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Regardless of the discussion of whether or not the Death Penalty acts as a deterrent or whether or not its is morally correct for society to judge and impose the death penalty, the simple response is that this sentence removes a person who has proven that he doesn't deserve to be part of society from society at minimal long term cost to society. 

This man killed cold bloodily, there was irrefutable evidence - this is a logical and just sentence. 

He will not have the opportunity to kill an innocent member of the public again. 

And the second man? All I can say is choose your friends wisely here as you could end up in the driver's seat. And if that happened to anyone of the posters here, they would certainly no longer be calling for the death penalty.

18 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

And the second man? All I can say is choose your friends wisely here as you could end up in the driver's seat. And if that happened to anyone of the posters here, they would certainly no longer be calling for the death penalty.

If I understand correctly, this was their third or fourth violent knife robbery that day... If that's the case then I have to say the driver wasn't simply unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time... 

If that's the case, they worked as a team of violent robbers..... Fry em both

26 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

There's no perfect system. The death penalty usually comes with some collateral damage. It's a small price to pay for getting cold blooded killers out of our universe.

When the evidence is strong like that, death penalty should apply. The world is better without them. Sure drug offenders and thieves can get a second chance after serving time, but in this case, this is simply people that must disappear. Good riddance, and let's hope they keep them alive for years before the execution, so that they can reflect on their crime.

6 hours ago, KBsinter said:

Thailand has not executed anybody for years,2009 was the last one,I believe .................

Perhaps they could get the ball (or heads) rolling again with these 2 degenerates...

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

rain

reign

rein

Such a difficult language.

The death penalty hasn't done much to rein in homicides in those US states that love to execute.

States Without the Death Penalty Have Better Record on Homicide Rates - A new survey by the New York Times found that states without the death penalty have lower homicide rates than states with the death penalty. The Times reports that ten of the twelve states without the death penalty have homicide rates below the national average, whereas half of the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above. During the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48% - 101% higher than in states without the death penalty.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates

You can twist that around many ways.

Perhaps the states with the death penalty have much higher crime rates, making the death penalty necessary. Perhaps if they took away the death penalty the crime rates would soar.  

"During the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48% - 101% higher than in states without the death penalty."

Perhaps without the death penalty, the rate could be a lot higher, meaning the death penalty is having a positive effect.

"half of the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above (the national average)"

Doesn't this mean that half of the states with the death penalty have homicide rates below the national average?

IMO these articles are just spin put out by Christian anti-death penalty lobbyists.

Prejudice - a vagrant opinion without visible means of support.
Ambrose Bierce

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

10 hours ago, shady86 said:

They get what they deserved. I'm still amazed with people opposing death penalty because only strict law will deter people from committing these kind of crimes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Worked well in this case. :jap:

48 minutes ago, tropo said:

There's no perfect system. The death penalty usually comes with some collateral damage. It's a small price to pay for getting cold blooded killers out of our universe.

Unless you or your loved one  is caught in the collateral damage.... Then it's just immoral and unjustified 

50 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

When the evidence is strong like that, death penalty should apply. The world is better without them. Sure drug offenders and thieves can get a second chance after serving time, but in this case, this is simply people that must disappear. Good riddance, and let's hope they keep them alive for years before the execution, so that they can reflect on their crime.

That defeats the purpose of getting rid of human waste quickly and cheaply... If you're going to kill them anyway, might as well do it now

Decades in jail costs taxpayers  money in some countries ( not Thailand tho) 

But If death means death I don't see why delay it, it it means commuted to a royal pardon after 7 years than I can see why fighting for delays is optional

Delaying it to let them ponder their fate  and maybe go insane or hurt someone else would be torture imo and that's not something that should be considered lightly.... 

5 hours ago, Cuba said:

Couldn't they keep everyone happy by giving them the chair and then throwing their fried asses in jail for 30 years?

Whats the benefit in their death by electrocution by the chair and then jail?

42 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Unless you or your loved one  is caught in the collateral damage.... Then it's just immoral and unjustified 

Stop preaching, please!

Immorality and justice are determined by one's religious beliefs.

Mine are quite ok with eliminating dangerous people, thanks. Most people throughout history have been quite ok with it too. 

If I start running around killing people for iPhone 7's, please put me to death. 

I believe the death sentence is not carried out anymore so it will be changed to LIFE: I got no problems with that as long as it means LIFE in prison . 

Archived