Two who killed man for iPhone sentenced to death

webfact

8 minutes ago, balo said:

I believe the death sentence is not carried out anymore so it will be changed to LIFE: I got no problems with that as long as it means LIFE in prison . 

This might be worth reading, a fairly recent article about the death penalty in Thailand: 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-08/antonio-bagnato-unlikely-to-be-executed,-experts-say/8252954

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, fish monger said:

Do any of you seriously believe that a death sentence will EVER be carried out in this country...?  Get real.

worked  for democracy

18 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

I agree that the death penalty is not a deterrent.  The useful purpose is the same as putting down rabid dogs.  Vengeance serves its societal purpose as well.  Some crimes are so heinous that they call for the strongest measures.

19 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But of course it doesn't act as a deterrent, proven time after time around the world. It might meet the need for vengeance, might make people feel safer...but it will not serve any useful purpose .

It'll make sure this scum is no longer a burden on society. That is important. 

12 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

But, as in many other similar cases, they will probably be given bail and disappear into some adjacent country ! I know of no other country where murderers, tried, found guilty and sentenced to death, are given bail. Amazing Thailand indeed.

Sadly these killers have no money to pay bail

and probably nor their family or friends .

So to save these killers , money is needed ......how will their family or friends raise

this bail money?????

Killing and stealing some more?????

Best is to solve the problem quickly.

19 hours ago, Prbkk said:

I am not in favour of the death penalty, but there would be one useful purpose served if they were executed - they would not be out on the streets in 5 years time and able to carry out another murder, which happens time and time again.  The guy who stabbed the victim is a psychopath and will always be one.

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

While I don't agree with the halving of sentences for confessing, why should the fact there is strong evidence make a difference in applying the rule?

Because 'Rules' are more like 'Suggestions' in the land of shame, and judges kind of make up the rules anyway...:saai:

17 hours ago, LoongJohn said:

If it makes people feel safer, then it's serving a useful purpose.

I personally feel safer in countries without capital punishment. For example, Switzerland, UK, Germany, etc etc etc. You know, where the murder rate is lower. 

For example the US has a murder rate that falls into the category of a developing nation. Here are just a few numbers PER CAPITA: 
US murder rate - 3.9 
Japan murder rate - 0.3 
Iran murder rate - 3.9 
Israel murder rate - 1.7 
Switzerland murder rate - 0.5 
Germany murder rate - 0.9 
Egypt murder rate - 3.4 
Sudan murder rate - 6.4 and so forth.. 
The US murder rate also dwarfs many developing nations, like Iraq, which has a murder rate less than half of the US. More than half of the most deadly mass shootings documented in the past 50 years around the world occurred in the United States, and 73 percent of the killers in the U.S. obtained their weapons legally. 

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While I believe sentencing for some things int his country is ridiculously high, this one I applaud. Hopefully we will see more of the same and the thieving scum on the streets will take note and get a job, instead of ruining other peoples lives.

Who cares what the sentence is, they do not carry out the death sentence in Thailand, with all the time deductions given on prison sentences theses guys will be back in society one day. Wish that wasn't the case .

Just now, graemeaylward said:

Barbaric sentence! It has been proved time and time again that the death sentence achieves nothing! It only shows that it is ok to kill someone making the state no better than the perpetrators. The death penalty is NOT a deterrent!

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed.  There is no place for capital punishment in a civilised society.

21 hours ago, Prbkk said:

What's wrong with vengeance? If all goes right they won't be around to commit another murder and that's a deterrent in and of itself.

Don't know why they call it a death penalty anymore. It was done away years ago. Just watched a movie a few weeks ago on Netflix called The Last Executioner. A Thai guard that carried it out at the Bangkok Hilton. The only backlash was when a woman was executed.

Just now, Beats56 said:

Don't know why they call it a death penalty anymore. It was done away years ago. Just watched a movie a few weeks ago on Netflix called The Last Executioner. A Thai guard that carried it out at the Bangkok Hilton. The only backlash was when a woman was executed.

The last executions in Thailand were in 2009, by lethal injection. Both men were convicted of drug trafficking.

The death penalty isn't going to act as a deterrent if the perpetrator is a dipped-and-dyed sociopath/psychopath, simply because these types don't think like a rational person. Also, you can't fix or cure a sociopath, it's the way their brains are wired, so releasing them from a lengthy jail term is only ever going to have one result: more murders.

And for those twinkle-toes here that trot out the tired and lame "there's no place for capital punishment in a civilized society" I say this: a so-called civilized society isn't fit to call itself one if it can't protect its citizens from predators intent on heinous crime. A civilized society should have zero murders.

1 hour ago, JustNo said:

I personally feel safer in countries without capital punishment. For example, Switzerland, UK, Germany, etc etc etc. You know, where the murder rate is lower. 

For example the US has a murder rate that falls into the category of a developing nation. Here are just a few numbers PER CAPITA: 
US murder rate - 3.9 
Japan murder rate - 0.3 
Iran murder rate - 3.9 
Israel murder rate - 1.7 
Switzerland murder rate - 0.5 
Germany murder rate - 0.9 
Egypt murder rate - 3.4 
Sudan murder rate - 6.4 and so forth.. 
The US murder rate also dwarfs many developing nations, like Iraq, which has a murder rate less than half of the US. More than half of the most deadly mass shootings documented in the past 50 years around the world occurred in the United States, and 73 percent of the killers in the U.S. obtained their weapons legally. 

actually the vast majority of the us has a murder rate in line with fully developed nations and many of the murders take place in inner cities in specific small neighborhoods on the low end of the socio economic ladder... you can look at chicago as an example of a big city with one pocket where a large percentage of violent crime occurs. other cities like east st. louis are small and full of violent crime.  avoid those areas and you're not likely to be affected by violent crime.  

Just now, Senior Player said:

The death penalty isn't going to act as a deterrent if the perpetrator is a dipped-and-dyed sociopath/psychopath, simply because these types don't think like a rational person. Also, you can't fix or cure a sociopath, it's the way their brains are wired, so releasing them from a lengthy jail term is only ever going to have one result: more murders.

And for those twinkle-toes here that trot out the tired and lame "there's no place for capital punishment in a civilized society" I say this: a so-called civilized society isn't fit to call itself one if it can't protect its citizens from predators intent on heinous crime. A civilized society should have zero murders.

In that case, there can be no such thing as a civilised society.  I accept that evil exists in society and citizens need to be protected.  The death penalty doesn't do that and if killing people is immoral, the State should play no part in it.

Without a doubt a main talking point anywhere in the world is about phones,,so certainly a murder sentence for the theft of an iPhone must create some kind of conversation and also a act as a deterrent of some sort when push comes to shove over phones

22 hours ago, Prbkk said:

But it will make sure these two won't do it again,look at the vid it's cold blooded murder!

I think the sentence is correct. 

I'm not really concerned with whether it's a deterrent or not (I personally think it is, but admit it won't make a huge difference), I just think from a practical point of view execution ensures that they will never be set free to do this again. Otherwise they might be pardoned in 20 years or whatever when it's all forgotten and I'd rather remove that possibility. These guys had just got out of jail and within a few months they'd gone on a mugging spree and killed someone for a phone. There's no doubt as to their guilt, so the death sentence is appropriate IMO. 

Plus the taxpayers money to keep them in jail for x number of years is better spent on hospitals, education etc. 

22 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

I agree with you  Paulie Walnuts. Do you mean 30 years minimum time served?

I would certainly fear 30 years far more than the Death penalty.

Death penalty simply screams to the world 'We're not ready to be civilised yet'.

22 hours ago, shady86 said:

They get what they deserved. I'm still amazed with people opposing death penalty because only strict law will deter people from committing these kind of crimes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

And something like this happen to The wives or children of some of the anti-capital punishment fans here,  They would be singing a very different tune.

Archived