Pattaya boomtown - Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" flooding back as resort becomes hub of Sport Tourism, claims TAT

webfact

Pattaya boomtown - Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" flooding back as resort becomes hub of Sport Tourism, claims TAT

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1Ba2QjM6oDI7yWzGcYBleAg0ux7Lh.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

PATTAYA: -- An upbeat Thai Rath reported from Koh Larn yesterday quoting a Pattaya Tourism Authority representative that Russians and Chinese tourists were visiting in droves.

And the huge numbers were arriving despite it being the low season and raining every day.

Suladda Sarutilawan of Pattaya TAT said that the government's crackdown on "zero dollar" tours was seeing a marked rise in "quality tourists" from China.

She said they were spending lots and boosting the local economy at a time when visitors are usually harder to find.

Suladda said that Russian visitors were now coming like they used to years ago.

She further credited the rebranding of Pattaya as a hub for Sports Tourism saying events like the triathlon last weekend and the marathon set to take place in July are attracting thousands who might not normally come to the resort.

She said that 10,000 are expected in town for the marathon on July 16th and 300-400 of those would be those quality Chinese she spoke of.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-01

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe an element of BS but at least they are trying to reboot the image. Nice to see a positive story that does not involve drink, bad driving, violence ( or all 3 ) for a change.

One thing for sure, those Chinese tour busses are causing huge traffic problems on the major roads and along many smaller sois around Pattaya.

Did the Chinese tour company that got their busses confiscated a while ago, get their busses back?

I suspect a large amount of money passed hands and the busses were quietly driven out of the compound!

Either way, more road trouble ahead!

There must be more than one Pattaya in Thailand because the one I was in over the last 2 weeks is as dead as I've seen it.

No Russians in droves.

No Chinese in droves.

Nothing in droves except droves of empty Hotel Rooms.

35 minutes ago, franklnooner said:

Quality Russian and Chinese 

Hahahahahahahahahahaha@

as one who lives in the tourist area of pattaya ,I think what they are trying to say is '' families and couples '',and we do see many more of them here...it all helps in the end game..which is recharge Thailand...

I have heard a lot of lies in Thailand, specialy when it comes from government organisations such as TAT: this girl is the best lie and story teller i ever experianced and nobody stop her to ask investigative questions?!?!??!

Ask the many small shops and restaurants how they experiance the big sports hub and the more tourists in low season as well the HIGH QUALITY tourists!!!!!

1 hour ago, dcsw53 said:

Maybe an element of BS but at least they are trying to reboot the image. Nice to see a positive story that does not involve drink, bad driving, violence ( or all 3 ) for a change.

You cant talk up an image, it takes action.

Russian and Chinese quality tourists ? I wonder if TAT know the meaning of "contradiction in terms" ? The only real quality tourists were the wonderful assortment affectionately known as "The Oilfield Trash" back in the early 80,s who completely dominated the town and regularly blew 10-12 thousand dollars apiece each month (until they realized they should have saved a bit !).

I lot of criticism here.

it seems to me that it is just a part of the master plan to make Pattaya a 'family holiday resort'. They have to start somewhere. No good being negative.

They have already started; umbrellas, food stalls, soapy massage and a proposed 20 Billion plan to ease traffic congestion. It might not seem like much is being done but I do think there are good intentions.

Pattaya a future 'family and sport resort' in the making.  F1, table tennis, rock climbing and jet ski racing. 

One day soon Pattaya will be known for its sport rather than the world's sex capital.

With all the ' crackdowns ' and blitzes and the moral police all over

with early hours closing of the fun establishments, beaches that

have been sterilized, 24 hours traffic jam, i don't see why tourist

coming back if at all.... 

Yeah, yeah, right, sure.... you bet

If they want to be a sports hub, clean up the water (perhaps the filthy water is part of being "medical hub?). Make broad even sidewalks for those who might wish to jog? A few jogging trails, with enough posts to discourage becoming motorbike path? Low wires, signs, etc can really hurt when head hits them at jogging speed.... just some suggestions

Archived