Pattaya boomtown - Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" flooding back as resort becomes hub of Sport Tourism, claims TAT

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live on pratamak Hill 

yes there are hordes of Chinese turning up in coach after coach and walking up to see the big Buddha.... what do they spend ? .... nothing ......., traffic is horrendous, roads are now in a shocking state , pollution  Forgetaboutit ! , it's true that up here the residents are mainly Russian , but being low Season the ' cosy beach ' which is normally quite crowded ( with Russians ) is nearly deserted this time of year , sure the weather hasn't been to good of late , but regardless there's nobody ' flocking ' or spending here .... 

and they are still building about 4-5 new condo blocks that will with about 3-4 already built remain empty . 

They are all quality tourists until they are arrested or die from at fault motor vehicle accidents, and suicides.

I always enjoy hearing Thai citizens yelling; "go home," at the Chinese that block the sidewalks and the streets.

A day will come when we will not be able to see most of the ocean views as tourist boats will be cover most of it, and a million Chinese standing, on the Pattaya sidewalk, waiting to board boats.

LOL.....:post-4641-1156694005:

14 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Yeah, yeah, right, sure.... you bet

If they want to be a sports hub, clean up the water (perhaps the filthy water is part of being "medical hub?). Make broad even sidewalks for those who might wish to jog? A few jogging trails, with enough posts to discourage becoming motorbike path? Low wires, signs, etc can really hurt when head hits them at jogging speed.... just some suggestions

Mate, geez you would never get anything done in Thailand.  Do you have a pen?  Try this, change jogging trail to obstacle course.  Now that wasn't to hard and it fits right in to the world sporting hub, Pattaya 

47 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

In English it is BARE faced lies. 

No it isn't. Besides, TVF isn't a Brit colony, believe it or not.

Enuff w/ the grammar police--or else!!!

29 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

That beach in the photo does not look like Pattaya to me.

Nor Wongamat.

Nor Jomtien.

Nor Najomtien.

I wonder where the picture was taken... :whistling:

It's a major beach on Koh Larn. Have you never been to Koh Larn?

I was there on that same beach about a month ago, first time in about 3 years. I have to say that it was ruined by the number of Chinese there, having their photos taken just like the one here, and following their group leaders all over the place.

Funny that Thailand doesn't describe them as "affluent" tourist but seemingly automatically deem them as "quality" if they have more money.

Then they show the "quality" tourists on a beach where I don't see them spending any money. Of course the boat operators will love them.

9 minutes ago, Howiehotspur said:

yes there are hordes of Chinese turning up in coach after coach and walking up to see the big Buddha.... what do they spend ? .... nothing .......,

How much would they need to spend at the Big Buddha temple to compete w/ the sums spent there by the Golden Egg Layers, those economic powerhouses who stay in the fleabags around Soi Buakhao?

2 minutes ago, loong said:

Funny that Thailand doesn't describe them as "affluent" tourist but seemingly automatically deem them as "quality" if they have more money.

Then they show the "quality" tourists on a beach where I don't see them spending any money. Of course the boat operators will love them.

Are there any places other than that beach where they might spend money while you're not looking?

11 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Are there any places other than that beach where they might spend money while you're not looking?

If there are, maybe that would be a better photo to use to demonstrate that they are "quality" tourists

"She said that 10,000 are expected in town for the marathon on July 16th and 300-400 of those would be those quality Chinese she spoke of. "

Even if those number are correct. 4% of the people spending money, and the rest, 96%, using it up being cheep charlies......

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

That beach in the photo does not look like Pattaya to me.

Nor Wongamat.

Nor Jomtien.

Nor Najomtien.

I wonder where the picture was taken... :whistling:

Read the article:- it's Koh Larn

Just yesterday evening, I came across a whole group of these 'new Chinese quality tourists' at the 7/11 close to where I live... they were all screaming at the top of their voices, behaving like they owned the place (and for all I know maybe they do), shoving other customers around, hurling questions in Chinese at the friendly staff who doesn't speak a word of Mandarin ... It was like entering a madhouse.

When I managed to reach the counter, the staff looked at me with an air of miserable defeat and one of them just said : "made in China ..."  That  is Thai politeness, and I sincerely admire it - in Europe where I come from, no one would have so bravely and nicely put up with such animal behavior.

1 hour ago, loong said:

Ah! You mean meant effluent tourists.

2 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Read the article:- it's Koh Larn

It is indeed.

That beach is called Tawaen Beach and it has been colonized by the Chinese for a long time - I'd say at least 15 years already. Huge groups of Chinese go there by boat from Pattaya daily.

They spend about half day, half of which is devoted to stuffing themselves in one of the huge 'restaurants' (owned by Chinese-Thai companies of course). The rest of the time, they do idiotic water activities such as lining up for a two-minute 'tour' on a jetski or hanging like a pathetic ragdoll under a parachute for another 2 minutes. All included in the package of course, and boy do they get what they pay for.

Ever since I discovered that beach I have named it 'the Chinese Factory' and avoid it at all costs. I regret to say that, before the invasion, it must have been by far the nicest beach on the island. If you look at it for afar (far enough not to see who's there) you'd think you're in the Andaman sea.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

With all the ' crackdowns ' and blitzes and the moral police all over

with early hours closing of the fun establishments, beaches that

have been sterilized, 24 hours traffic jam, i don't see why tourist

coming back if at all.... 

Maybe the ones that aren't coming back are being replaced by the ones that wouldn't have spent their holidays in a cesspit of debauchery?

Who, BTW, outnumber the mongers (and their budgets) by several orders of magnitude.

It is hard to believe that TAT want's us to think that anything has changed. Seeing none of these fabulously wealthy Russians and Chinese anywhere in Jomtien, but seeing 30 plus buses parked on Jomtien second road everyday makes me think the "sports activities" take place at Lukdod market and various latex shops indoors. 

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I lot of criticism here.

it seems to me that it is just a part of the master plan to make Pattaya a 'family holiday resort'. They have to start somewhere. No good being negative.

They have already started; umbrellas, food stalls, soapy massage and a proposed 20 Billion plan to ease traffic congestion. It might not seem like much is being done but I do think there are good intentions.

Pattaya a future 'family and sport resort' in the making.  F1, table tennis, rock climbing and jet ski racing. 

One day soon Pattaya will be known for its sport rather than the world's sex capital.

And they will hold the Flying Pig International Competition here as well, with you in the jury I bet.

11 minutes ago, robkennedy said:

It is hard to believe that TAT want's us to think that anything has changed. Seeing none of these fabulously wealthy Russians and Chinese anywhere in Jomtien, but seeing 30 plus buses parked on Jomtien second road everyday makes me think the "sports activities" take place at Lukdod market and various latex shops indoors. 

Pinnacle Resort is loaded with them.  Delightful families.  Used to be mostly East Europeans and Russkies.  Now lots of Chinese, too.  

Room rates are a little steep for Cheap Charlies, though.  So I have yet to see the bad behavior endemic to the lower end of the pricing scale, and those catering to the single guys on the hunt.

It's my go-to place for a weekend away from BKK where I work.

So yesterday we had this thread complaining of low quality tour packages resuming back 

to Thailand.

"TAT, Online Tourism Club take aim at low-quality tour packages" 

By The Nation

You can read it here:

Today, in this thread we have high quality tourists flooding back to Pattaya.

Put the two together and we have:-

High quality tourists flooding back to Pattaya with low quality tour packages.

So is everyone clear now? 

Sports Tourism will do nothing much for Pattaya.

Do these people realise thousands of Isaan children are getting hungry with all the empty Bars and Restaurants.

If they want to promote tourism start here.

1. Ban hire of Jetskies.

2. Taxis to operate their Meters.

3. Baht Buses to have big signs stating 10 Baht per trip.

4. Clean the beaches from rubbish.

5. Install and maintain rubbish bins everywhere.

That's just a start. But what a great start that would be.

10 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

And they will hold the Flying Pig International Competition here as well, with you in the jury I bet.

Thanks for the compliment and your confidence.

But with respect Flying Pig Competition is not F1 or International tennis.

Archived