Pattaya boomtown - Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" flooding back as resort becomes hub of Sport Tourism, claims TAT

webfact

2 hours ago, yankee99 said:

"She said that 10,000 are expected in town for the marathon on July 16th and 300-400 of those would be those quality Chinese she spoke of."

.4% are quality and 99.6% are zero dollar.

It is really easy to twist words and misconstrue whole sentences!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

It is indeed.

That beach is called Tawaen Beach and it has been colonized by the Chinese for a long time - I'd say at least 15 years already. Huge groups of Chinese go there by boat from Pattaya daily.

They spend about half day, half of which is devoted to stuffing themselves in one of the huge 'restaurants' (owned by Chinese-Thai companies of course). The rest of the time, they do idiotic water activities such as lining up for a two-minute 'tour' on a jetski or hanging like a pathetic ragdoll under a parachute for another 2 minutes. All included in the package of course, and boy do they get what they pay for.

Ever since I discovered that beach I have named it 'the Chinese Factory' and avoid it at all costs. I regret to say that, before the invasion, it must have been by far the nicest beach on the island. If you look at it for afar (far enough not to see who's there) you'd think you're in the Andaman sea.

I stayed on the island a couple of days last year, and it exactly as you describe it. And in a country that is slightly challenged when it comes to rubbish disposal, Koh Larn is another level above the usual amount of detritus, spoiling what was once a nice place.

2 hours ago, manhood said:

I have heard a lot of lies in Thailand, specialy when it comes from government organisations such as TAT: this girl is the best lie and story teller i ever experianced and nobody stop her to ask investigative questions?

why should any "official" body be keen to silence her permanent red-lie b.s.? This all is in the interest of the country, helps TH. build Potemkin castles to cheat investors and tour operators into the big never never...means: It is legal by and in itself

22 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

3. Baht Buses to have big signs stating 10 Baht per trip.

I'd love to see them replace the baht buses altogether with something along these lines, with eazy-on, eazy-off and no climbing over the other passengers.  Electric would be great, but I've also seen gasoline/diesel powered units.

Tram.jpg

Just for grins, here's the spec's for this 22 (+1) seater:

http://www.ev-uae.com/ev-resort-vehicles/ev-resort(DN-23).html

Well spoken. You can't convert the  image of a place like Pattaya in 6 months to a hub of anything. It takes years to go

from boom boom to boom. And infrastructure.

Guys (who comment above) you give me a good laugh...thank you all!!!

"Quality Chinese" is probably the best one I have heard in a long time.

By the way, the fact that they insist so much on the word "quality" is an indirect admission that, at least until now, Pattaya was hosting "shitty" tourists.

22 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

Sports Tourism will do nothing much for Pattaya.

Do these people realise thousands of Isaan children are getting hungry with all the empty Bars and Restaurants.

We all know that there isn't any sport tourism in Pattaya.

All that has changed over the last 5 yrs is that western tourism has declined 

and replaced with Chinese and Russian tourists on cheap package tours, hence 

the reason Pattaya & Jomtien has turned in to a coach park.

All these coaches are a clear indication of what's happening regarding tourism

demographics.

26 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

wg, you are apparently rather new on this Forum. Please note that the grammar, spelling and vocabulary police are NOT welcome here.

Why ? because :

1/ this Forum is in English, but that does not make it an English Forum, even though there are quite a few British, American and Australian members who'd like to think it is and never miss an occasion to lash out at other nationalities.

2/ Among the native English speakers who contribute on this Forum, many have not had the chance to receive a high education, so their command of English may be below yours but that doesn't mean they are less intelligent or have less to say. So bear with them and focus on what they say, please, because this is not a classroom with you as the teacher.

Fair points, Yann, but I see no harm in someone making a sensible correction -- it can help to prevent the propagation of bad English, something which has made my miserable and pathetic life in this country more miserable and pathetic (I jest, of course). If there's one thing I have found about people learning English as a second language, it's that bad habits are very quickly adopted and spread.

8 minutes ago, sotsira said:

We all know that there isn't any sport tourism in Pattaya.

All that has changed over the last 5 yrs is that western tourism has declined 

and replaced with Chinese and Russian tourists on cheap package tours, hence 

the reason Pattaya & Jomtien has turned in to a coach park.

All these coaches are a clear indication of what's happening regarding tourism

demographics.

When they complete the super high rise at the end of Beach Road-Walking Street is when the "quality Russians" will be back.

Please keep me posted.

I don't live in Pattaya anymore...too much quality for me...

3 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Fair points, Yann, but I see no harm in someone making a sensible correction -- it can help to prevent the propagation of bad English, something which has made my miserable and pathetic life in this country more miserable and pathetic (I jest, of course). If there's one thing I have found about people learning English as a second language, it's that bad habits are very quickly adopted and spread.

Agreed!

Corrections are always welcome as long as they are meant to help, not to be sarcastic...

8 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Of course you are so right!!!And here i was thinking you were just being arrogant,my bad.Please feel free to correct me in some other language as well.You can try French,German or Dutch.

4 hours ago, mark01 said:

One thing for sure, those Chinese tour busses are causing huge traffic problems on the major roads and along many smaller sois around Pattaya.

Did the Chinese tour company that got their busses confiscated a while ago, get their busses back?

I suspect a large amount of money passed hands and the busses were quietly driven out of the compound!

Either way, more road trouble ahead!

Good question about the coaches.

Parts of Pratumnak are now coach parks & at certain times of the day it can difficult just to drive up the road as there is often only enough room for a single vehicle to pass.

One thing I have noticed & thought it strange was how many coaches I saw with red number plates that were most definitely not new.

Newly registered but defo not new vehicles.

6 hours ago, Rhys said:

Well I'll be how about that.... Coming from the  TAT of P Tang city...

i find this very hard to believe.. hotels yesterday in agoda renting rooms for 458 baht a night.. and i just passed an empty beach road at 1240 in the day

4 hours ago, mark01 said:

One thing for sure, those Chinese tour busses are causing huge traffic problems on the major roads and along many smaller sois around Pattaya.

Did the Chinese tour company that got their busses confiscated a while ago, get their busses back?

I suspect a large amount of money passed hands and the busses were quietly driven out of the compound!

Either way, more road trouble ahead!

I'm sure that did not happen, but it appears that there are some new Thai owners of most of those 2000+ busses, and they are as busy as very.

They are parked all over the place, blocking roads, making the potholes larger, and generally causing gridlock around the town.

Seems to be just a changing of the guards took place.

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

as one who lives in the tourist area of pattaya ,I think what they are trying to say is '' families and couples '',and we do see many more of them here...it all helps in the end game..which is recharge Thailand...

Totally agree.  Things may be slow in Jomtien and other suburban areas but central Pattaya is busy year round now and there are definitely more couples and families out and about. Not all the Chinese are budget tourists.  At least 100 of the buyers at my 1000 unit condo have been Chinese--and they have been buying at other central Pattaya condos, as well. The triathlon last weekend was well-run and well-attended.  Toyota did a good job of staging the event on the Chang Beer land and had the place quickly cleaned up after the event ended.  I was impressed with the number of participants.  TAT may be painting a rosier picture than reality might warrant but there's no denying Terminal 21 going up, the Central Marina revamp, lots of new hotels being built in south, central, and north Pattaya, and new amusements like the ice rink and roller skating rink opening at Harbor. 

Yesterday I drove from Pratumnak all the way to Pattaya South road, without stopping. Even the lights under the Bali Hai overpass were switched off.

It literally looked like a Ghost town and I wondered what happened, and that was at about 4:30 in the afternoon.

I didn't realise there were 2 Pattaya's in Thailand. The one I am in is dead as a door nail. Walked down Soi Diana last night and must have been 10 Farang's in the whole street. Way less in Soi Honey. The place is deserted, the ration of men to women must be 200 to 1. This person from TAT should get a job as an Actress, or better still be sacked for putting out misleading statements.

3 weeks ago i was at bali hai pier waiting for a ferry to hau hin,   i could not even see the pier for the amount of chinese tourists on it, there was 10000000,s   at 9am in the morning .

so its true  !!  

5 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Maybe an element of BS but at least they are trying to reboot the image. Nice to see a positive story that does not involve drink, bad driving, violence ( or all 3 ) for a change.

Reboot the image by all means though it's hard to present a pig's ear as a silk purse, but don't tell lies that will be easily exposed when anyone goes and sees for themselves.

Decrepit infrastructure

terrible traffic that is only going to get worse after Terminal 21 opens

streets full of hawkers

collapsing marina

shade free beach promenade and not enough sand.

Reboot that!

46 minutes ago, newnative said:

Totally agree.  Things may be slow in Jomtien and other suburban areas but central Pattaya is busy year round now and there are definitely more couples and families out and about. Not all the Chinese are budget tourists.  At least 100 of the buyers at my 1000 unit condo have been Chinese--and they have been buying at other central Pattaya condos, as well. The triathlon last weekend was well-run and well-attended.  Toyota did a good job of staging the event on the Chang Beer land and had the place quickly cleaned up after the event ended.  I was impressed with the number of participants.  TAT may be painting a rosier picture than reality might warrant but there's no denying Terminal 21 going up, the Central Marina revamp, lots of new hotels being built in south, central, and north Pattaya, and new amusements like the ice rink and roller skating rink opening at Harbor. 

Terminal 21 going up, the Central Marina revamp, lots of new hotels being built in south, central, and north Pattaya

You do know that the traffic is already beyond road capacity in all those areas and can't be improved, don't you? It's bad now and it's low season.

When all those places and especially Terminal 21are open, what do you think will happen to the traffic?

Enjoy the walk, as no one is going anywhere fast in a vehicle.

4 hours ago, yankee99 said:

"She said that 10,000 are expected in town for the marathon on July 16th and 300-400 of those would be those quality Chinese she spoke of."

.4% are quality and 99.6% are zero dollar.

I wonder if that is 10,000 more than normal? If even only half of them were Thais, that would translate into probably 2,500 more cars on the roads than usual. Good luck with that.

5 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

There must be more than one Pattaya in Thailand because the one I was in over the last 2 weeks is as dead as I've seen it.

No Russians in droves.

No Chinese in droves.

Nothing in droves except droves of empty Hotel Rooms.

On Koh Larn?

Archived