Pattaya boomtown - Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" flooding back as resort becomes hub of Sport Tourism, claims TAT

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, elgenon said:

The main people I saw watching the marathon in Pattaya were the people stuck in traffic, as they reduced the number of lanes available.

But my favorite soup seller liked seeing the topless men.

Lol Lol Thank god i was not running He/She would say Thai elephant there 

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2017 at 10:33 AM, owl sees all said:

Thanks for the compliment and your confidence.

But with respect Flying Pig Competition is not F1 or International tennis.

But it could be, Pattaya Hub of Flying Pig competitions, watch while TAT steal my idea....

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The day you enter the country is day one of the 30 days. Your stamp is correct.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined 500 baht for one day of overstay.

People miscount the days all the time which is why one day of overstay is not a big problem.

Yes that's what I've done counted 6th as 1 day thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I live sort of near ground zero of the hotels for the Chinese tour groups and talk to an expat who owns a guesthouse in the area. In fact, a hotel was made especially for them at the end of our soi (so I was told). He said all these groups demand heavy discounts from wherever they go....hotels, buffet restaurants, etc. to the point where he won't bother with them. But he said the larger hotels accept them and they never have a "low season" as a result, they are booked year round.

There is vacant plaza near us and they cleared out all the garbage, put gravel down, and use it as a large parking lot just for the tour buses for these groups. It's crazy. But, these groups are corralled by the tour guides and don't venture outside of their groups. So, local businesses don't benefit from them unless they are part of the pre-arranged circuit as the hotels and buffet places are. So, there's added traffic congestion and reduced parking but no financial benefit to locals.

Plus, these bus drivers are crazier than crazy. I see them flying down the roads, often running red lights, and passing into oncoming traffic on the beach road (Jomtien). Worse than the "limo" van drivers.

The Chinese spend far less per person so the govt thinks they will make up for it in volume. They're counting tourist heads so they see an increase in that stat and are happy. More backwards thinking. Nothing new there.

7 hours ago, Global Guy said:

I live sort of near ground zero of the hotels for the Chinese tour groups and talk to an expat who owns a guesthouse in the area. In fact, a hotel was made especially for them at the end of our soi (so I was told). He said all these groups demand heavy discounts from wherever they go....hotels, buffet restaurants, etc. to the point where he won't bother with them. But he said the larger hotels accept them and they never have a "low season" as a result, they are booked year round.

Sounds quite positive. Gueshouse owner won't discount for volume, his decision; if a Thai wouldn't discount for a large group of farangs that would be Thainess. But larger hotels booked year round! Have those bookings been verified by the lights on at night count?

There is vacant plaza near us and they cleared out all the garbage, put gravel down, and use it as a large parking lot just for the tour buses for these groups. It's crazy. But, these groups are corralled by the tour guides and don't venture outside of their groups. So, local businesses don't benefit from them unless they are part of the pre-arranged circuit as the hotels and buffet places are. So, there's added traffic congestion and reduced parking but no financial benefit to locals.

Nothing crazy about clearing out some parking space and parking in a lot rather than on the street, which would elicit screams of anguish here on the forum. Now we'll have to define local. Does a local have to be born in Pattaya? Or can the local merely reside in Pattaya, as do all the staff that work in the businesses patronized by Chinese? As in the larger hotels that are booked year-round now?

If a tour guide takes a group into Central Festival where locals work and they buy stuff and eat there, does that count as benefiting locals? Besides tour groups, a lot of Chinese are traveling independently.

But rising individualism and financial independence are seeing more and more young Chinese choose to defy custom, while at the same time tourism and outbound travel are surging. . . . Growing numbers are also seizing the opportunity for tourism, despite slowing growth in the world's second-largest economy. . . . Chinese travellers are by far the biggest spenders in the world, splashing $165 billion in countries they visited last year, according to the United Nations World Tourism Organisation.

New Year, New Travel: More Chinese Choose Tourism Over Tradition

And these independents are patronizing Thai businesses. Our farangs don't notice them much 'cause they don't go to the same places. Sit at the Maesriruen Thai resto on Beach Rd. and watch Chinese going in and out all day, for example. Lots of Chinese in Starbucks--but our TVF Posters are all coffee connoisseurs and never, ever go to Starbucks. Etc.

Plus, these bus drivers are crazier than crazy. I see them flying down the roads, often running red lights, and passing into oncoming traffic on the beach road (Jomtien). Worse than the "limo" van drivers.

I think you made this up, mostly, to add more drama to the bashing. I'm often around those buses but I find the driving pretty normal for here. Never seen one run a light and I'm sure they don't do it "often."

The Chinese spend far less per person so the govt thinks they will make up for it in volume. They're counting tourist heads so they see an increase in that stat and are happy. More backwards thinking. Nothing new there.

Our ace TVF Economists and managers of investment groups (cough) have only a naive, childlike way of determining tourist-related income. Not much business experience around here it seems. Spending is the lesser part of generated.

Maynard Keynes verified the concept of the “multiplier effect” in his economic studies in the 1930s. The concept has perhaps the greatest applicability in the tourism industry.

Tourists spend money on travel, lodging, food and beverage and in retail stores thus creating direct income, government revenue (taxes) and employment. There are more effects such as money spent on supplies, inventory replacement, and all the other products and services that supply the place where the tourist spends. All of these subsequent places are classified as indirect or multipliers of the original dollars spent.

Numerous studies have been conducted that reveal for every dollar a tourist spends anywhere from $3 to $10-plus additional dollars of expenditures are generated into the economy.

Just think about sources of state revenue more directly labeled taxes, or in the case of tourism, taxes paid for by nonstate residents. . . . There are the tolls, gasoline taxes, taxes on retail purchases, taxes on alcoholic beverages, general sales taxes, taxes on rental cars, etc., etc. These “taxes” form a large input to the revenue taken in by the state . . . .

--https://bangordailynews.com/2011/02/18/business/tourism-dollars-are-essential-to-state’s-economy/

And we're falling back on the ol' TVF Golden Egg Layers Theory of Thai Economics. The mother of all Golden Goose threads was back in 2003, BTW, when Thailand was supposed to return to the Stone Age because it dared raise visa fees. Not long ago a poster cited the fact that he saw no Chinese in his fave beer bar as "evidence." Most haven't seen all those new businesses catering for Chinese off 3rd Rd and Naklua Rd. And by relying on the ol' shopping bag count, the retail counterpart of the lights on at night measure, members thump the Looking Not Buying rule.

Rather than mindlessly parrot one of the most cherished forum (bigoted) myths (that the mongers of old staying in fleabags off Soi Buakaew vastly outspent milllions of Chinese), go read some quarterly reports. You may well discover that Chinese are contributing appreciably to the bottom line. That is they ARE spending when and where you're not looking. Sorry.

Improved performance of existing projects e.g. at CentralWorld, CentralPlaza Lardprao, CentralPlaza Pattaya Beach, etc., supported by spending from foreign tourists mainly from China and Korea during their summer travel season. . . . On a q-o-q basis, revenues from hotel operation increased by 6% thanks mainly to higher occupancy and room rate at Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel with occupancy high at 92% in the third quarter, enhancing RevPar up 4% q-o-q as a result of an increasing number of Chinese and Korean tourist visits during their travel season in July-August. . . . continuing growth in hotel business with higher occupancy in this quarter on the back of increasing number of foreign tourists visiting Hilton Pattaya Beach Hotel. . . . However, the food court at CentralFestival Pattaya Beach experienced revenue growth, driven by higher traffic from tourist visits in the third quarter.

—Central Pattana PCL, Performance Overview: Overall economic condition in 3Q15

They're counting tourist heads so they see an increase in that stat and are happy. More backwards thinking. Nothing new there.

No. That's easily refuted by the gov't ending the zero-dollar tours, which had greatly increased the tourist head count. Again, it isn't numbers, or spending, but total revenue generation. Yes, the gov't watches that number as it reported on it recently and confused all our ace economists with their forward thinking. :w00t: Nothing new there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2017 at 5:41 AM, Jessi said:

More B/S from the  TAT!!!

Andrew Drummond just did a story about the lies coming out of the TAT.

From my observation it appears to be true. Many Chinese independents tourists are breaking away from the tour bus 'herd'. And there are many more Russians around than two years ago. Whether or not they return is another matter. After 30 years of visiting Thailand I firmly believe, whatever the numerous attractions, the Thai girls make it all worthwhile and are the backbone of real Thai tourist economy.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:52 AM, neeray said:

Well spoken. You can't convert the  image of a place like Pattaya in 6 months to a hub of anything. It takes years to go

from boom boom to boom. And infrastructure.

You can't polish a turd.

14 minutes ago, hansnl said:

I really don't understand.

If TAT is making things up about tourists from Russia and China, the quality kind, are arriving in droves, isn't there someone in Government or Business calling out: "where?".

Don't know where you live but "where" would be just about everywhere in Pattaya--except maybe bars catering to Westerners. 

Has the government ever produced a list of events that shows Pattaya is a hub of Sports Tourism? They did that very poorly attended (and participated in) run. That was postponed several times so many they are counting each time a date was announced. That's the only thing I know of..

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

Has the government ever produced a list of events that shows Pattaya is a hub of Sports Tourism? They did that very poorly attended (and participated in) run. That was postponed several times so many they are counting each time a date was announced. That's the only thing I know of..

I would dispute your post saying the marathon had poor participation.  I watched a steady stream of runners from my balcony and I think I missed the bulk of them that ran by before I got up.  The Toyota Triathalon also had good participation. 

16 hours ago, elgenon said:

Has the government ever produced a list of events that shows Pattaya is a hub of Sports Tourism?

No but I can inform you about to big events for women.  the LPGA golf tour was here a couple of years ago with all the best stars in the world, and WTA tennis Pattaya Open at Dusit Thani hotel . 

Archived