Video: "Graap" my feet footage causing a stir as female student gets nasty

webfact

Video: "Graap" my feet footage causing a stir as female student gets nasty

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

BANGKOK: -- A video showing a former student forcing a Chiang Mai schoolgirl to kowtow to her feet in apology is causing a stir in Thailand.

Such a gesture is used both as a high form of apology as well as a show of deep respect in Thai culture. It is called "graap thao".

But in the video that has been shown on national TV the elder girl - a former pupil of the school - is berating a M2 (Year nine) student on some matter that is not clear.

It has been reported that the school director has called in the parents of both parties.

The director does not want the school to lose face and in accordance with usual practice the name of the school has not been made public.

But it was confirmed that the elder girl was no longer at the school, TNA reported.

Police said that they wanted the matter to be dealt with by the school though if the parents of the younger girl want to press charges they were within their rights to do so and it would be followed up.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-01

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the worst aspects of Thai society is this feudal hierarchical social system of bowing down and respecting people not on ability or worth but on position and money. These days I do not buy into it and never wai back and never wai anyone, none of them deserve it anyway.

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

alot worse than that happens in US schools ....

yes, perhaps, but at least she is not in an environment where she is likely to get beaten by her peers or teachers and she is actually learning something.

I am no fan of the US, but she is doing well and loves school there.

the US is a diverse place, believe it or not there remain pockets of good. 

This is not just a Thai or US problem but a world problem

Heard somethin’ on FX TV show Fargo that makes a lot of sense … It was season 2 that takes place in 1967 episode 4 “fear and trembling" @ 50:20

guy says to his wife "we're out of balance"

the wife says "you and me"?

he says "no, the whole world, it has no moral center

we used to have a moral center, it's gone,

can't tell right from wrong anymore"

couldn’t have put it better myself

I usually do not chime in on news stuff, but I do not understand why this is news quite frankly. These kinds of bullying have been around forever. I remember in grade school and people getting bullied all the time all the way through high school. Locker rooms, football field, after school, etc etc. I am surprised anybody finds this to be an OMG type thing. Sure its unacceptable but.......

As for HooHaa and glad his children are in the US,  honestly I seriously doubt its better, in fact even worse it just doesn't make the news anymore(not bashing the US as this is a world wide thing now),. There is more cyber bullying going on now then ever before and that is far worse then the school yard throw downs I used to see. It can be really be devastating.

The Human race can be really cruel to one another and it all boils down to parenting and values taught

not the first time I hear about this Graap thao nonsense to be honest

I have an Alien friend that is married with a foreigner and living together.. this foreigner's ex wife has a daughter... recently that ex wife that was back in Europe decides she wants well.. her house back because it's under her name.. the guy paid for it and there was some legal arrangement in Europe as far as understand but anyways.

her (the ex's) daughter started to make some drama on Facebook because she felt like it was HER house and that the house was not extra clean when she came from Bangkok to check after they had moved out..

she was making all kinds of threats directly on her own facebook wall saying she was basically going to assault her or pay someone to and/or getting her kicked out of the country (for some odd reason) and that she would not stop until my friend went and kissed her feet. (she didn't)

so they get kicked out and apparently now the house is being used on weekends so that girl can bring all of her friends to party and not have to rent

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

One of the worst aspects of Thai society is this feudal hierarchical social system of bowing down and respecting people not on ability or worth but on position and money. These days I do not buy into it and never wai back and never wai anyone, none of them deserve it anyway.

you run the risk of seriously insulting someone, someone who maybe quite pleasant who has no affect on your life but keep on doing it and the number will rise and then maybe it will affect you one way or another, it is after all only a social norm like shaking hands. How would you feel if back in your own country someone refused to shake hands with you because you 'aren't worth it'. 

I look after my own Thai / British son and two step daughters, on fathers day i am made to sit in a chair and one after the other, the youngest ,my son, first prostrate themselves on the floor at my feet as a sign of respect, i have politely asked them to stop doing this as i find it embarrassing and demeaning, my son is happy to oblige but my step daughters 16 and 20 years old insist on the practice, it is part of their culture and they don't find it demeaning at all so i go along with it and try to take it seriously.

At my university they also have this kind of BS. Bullying, Inauguration, accepted violence, call it how you want it.
All under the blanket of introducing the new students. Well, nice introduction and makes them really welcome...

Once my (American) friend filmed one of these rituals (no violence but humiliation) they threatened him to impound his smartphone if he not delete the clip and further report him to dean of the university.
He said he won't share it public just keep for his own and that the uni grounds is a public place where everyone can take pictures.
He kept cool and refused to do anything.
Finally it was just hot air from the Thai youngsters...

Another example is the so called Wai Kruu or "paying respect to the teacher".
I usually avoid this ceremony but one time I was invited because I received a some certificate so I had to attend.
Wth, crawling on your knees and praying for the teacher. It doesn't have to do anything with respecting someone.
Never ever again I will go there.

If someone ask me to pay respect like this I shake his hands and say that is our way to pay respect to someone

Archived