Pattaya-Maptaphut highway extension on track for 2019 opening

Rimmer

Pattaya-Maptaphut highway extension on track for 2019 opening

1244-n5Maptaphu1.jpg

Pattaya:The extension of Highway 7 to the Maptaphut industrial zone is a third complete and on-schedule to open in 2019, Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said.

Speaking to reporters May 25, the minister added that the 4-billion-baht “renovation” of Highway 7’s Chonburi-Pattaya section will be complete by year-end.

The 14-billion-baht Maptaphut extension is now 32 percent complete. The 32-kilometer project still faces some complications regarding the contractors and budget ownership, but those issues are expected to be resolved within a few months, Arkhom said.

About 2,300 rai of land needs to be expropriated for the project at an additional cost of 14 billion baht.

The renovation project calls for construction of new toll gates in Ban Bung, Bang Phra, Nongkhram, Pong and Pattaya. The booths will support the Highway Department’s “Closed Circuit Motorway Fee Collection System” and reduce the amount of traffic bogging down the Phan Tong toll gate.

Read More: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/arkhom-pattaya-maptaphut-highway-extension-track-2019-opening-176532

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-06-02

When open this should result in a significant reduction of through traffic along Sukumvit in Pattaya and Jomtien. Anyone going between Bangkok or the airport and Na-Jomtien, Sattahip or Rayong would surely be inclined to take the new road even if there is a toll.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

When open this should result in a significant reduction of through traffic along Sukumvit in Pattaya and Jomtien. Anyone going between Bangkok or the airport and Na-Jomtien, Sattahip or Rayong would surely be inclined to take the new road even if there is a toll.

I hope so, but I'm not hopeful!

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Can but hope that gives pause for thought on the need for the projected two further underpasses, at Tai and Thepprasit. The main justification for these underpasses was to allow the through traffic a clear run to/from the motorway. No obvious sign of any work starting, so fingers crossed.

However, the chances of the usual suspects allowing some fat brown envelopes to slip through their fingers is rather unlikely.

On 2017-6-2 at 1:35 PM, KittenKong said:

So the expensive, incomplete tunnel was not necessary?

• 10 months later...
39 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Pattaya - Ban Chang Mway 1.jpg

Pattaya - Ban Chang Mway 2.jpg

Where the project is marked to end seems to feed onto the dual carraigeway in BanChang. That feeds M-way traffic into sets of traffic lights that will bring heavy traffic to a halt and further on the road just starts to fall apart. I'm not sure that area of road can handle motorway traffic.

Thank you, but I cannot see exactly where it connects with Huay yai.

The reason is that I want to explore the area on google street view before visiting it for real and look for a land.

Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, gaff said:

The reason is that I want to explore the area on google street view before visiting it for real and look for a land.

Thanks again.

Drive up Huay Yai road and you will see exactly where it connects.

Eventually Huay Yai road will be an overpass over the new motorway... currently under construction.

Modifications are too recent for Google street view.

1 minute ago, gaff said:

Thanks again.

If you know where the Thai Army Ack-Ack Regiment Barracks are it joins the road about half a kilometre up from there going BanChang direction. I'm not sure what the final layout will be but it appears the main artery will go underneath that road to link up with the dual carraigeway that runs parallel to and south of BC main road and heading to Huay Yai and ends up in the vicinity of the Rayong/Maptaphut Immigration office and Police office.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you know where the Thai Army Ack-Ack Regiment Barracks are it joins the road about half a kilometre up from there going BanChang direction. I'm not sure what the final layout will be but it appears the main artery will go underneath that road to link up with the dual carraigeway that runs parallel to and south of BC main road and heading to Huay Yai and ends up in the vicinity of the Rayong/Maptaphut Immigration office and Police office.

Maybe I have the wrong name for the Police office, not sure, but anyway it ends near the Imm' office.

Runs just north of the place we have down there.

20 hours ago, gaff said:

Thanks again.

It does not "connect" with Huay Yai as such, it passes through Huay Yai with one spur road which comes out near Ambassador hotel on Sukhumvit, and one short link road to the 331 which is put in to service the tourist attractions such as Silverlake and Khao Chee Chan to the North of the link  as well as Utapao airport to the South.

43 minutes ago, LennyW said:

It does not "connect" with Huay Yai as such, it passes through Huay Yai with one spur road which comes out near Ambassador hotel on Sukhumvit, and one short link road to the 331 which is put in to service the tourist attractions such as Silverlake and Khao Chee Chan to the North of the link  as well as Utapao airport to the South.

The new main highway crosses over the 331 a short distance north of the Silverlake/Bhudda Mtn road, the flyover work is almost complete, and heads cross country to the top end of Ban Chang.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The new main highway crosses over the 331 a short distance north of the Silverlake/Bhudda Mtn road, the flyover work is almost complete, and heads cross country to the top end of Ban Chang.

Yes, and just south of that flyover is the short link road to the 331.

16 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Yes, and just south of that flyover is the short link road to the 331.

Yep, and just been informed by someone the police station in Maptaphut is Huay Pong or similar name to that.

Not Huay Yai which I now realise  is on the 331. 

Sorry for the bum steer. ?

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Yep, and just been informed by someone the police station in Maptaphut is Huay Pong or similar name to that.

Not Huay Yai which I now realise  is on the 331. 

Sorry for the bum steer. ?

My head is still spinning. Thank you very much :)

3 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

My head is still spinning. Thank you very much :)

?

I think the main thing is unless they greatly improve the road through BanChang it really means it's all going to bottle neck at the end in Maptaphut.

20 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

The bottle neck will be at Najomtein junction near the Embassy Hotel.

The south end junction at Maptaphut  is very nicely designed with non-stop traveling. No traffic lights.

road78.JPG

This is not at Mapthaput, this is at Ban Chang which connects to Sukhumvit. The next phase is to link from here to Burapaphat road, (the Ban Chang bypass road), but that is not included in the current construction. It's going to be hectic on Sukhumvit in BC until they do.

50 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

The south end junction at Maptaphut  is very nicely designed with non-stop traveling. No traffic lights.

50 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

road78.JPG

At sukhumvit road near to ban chang ( end of the 7 road) there will be 4 levels of traffic, as shown in the photo/mock up the new road goes under sukhumvit levels 1 & 2, level 3 if for traffic from rayong/ban chang to join 7 road,  level 4 will be from 7 road (at a spur not shown, but i have added badly) to link to the ban chang/mataphut bypass road which is behind the toyota garage on the sukhumvit.

suk 7 road2.jpg

On 5/1/2018 at 8:29 AM, overherebc said:

Where the project is marked to end seems to feed onto the dual carraigeway in BanChang. That feeds M-way traffic into sets of traffic lights that will bring heavy traffic to a halt and further on the road just starts to fall apart. I'm not sure that area of road can handle motorway traffic.

The Future Mapthaphut Bypass Project is complete already so you can go around Ban Chang if heading to Rayong.

It will be especially useful to take the trucks off the local roads to and from the industrial areas. 

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Future Mapthaphut Bypass Project is complete already so you can go around Ban Chang if heading to Rayong.

It will be especially useful to take the trucks off the local roads to and from the industrial areas. 

No it is not, it is only from Sukhumvit at Baddog nightclub you access the bypass road at that end of Ban Chang, the new short section from the 7 to the bypass road has not been done yet.

Traffic coming into Ban Chang will be on Sukhumvit to do U Turn opposite PTT then back up to Baddog nightclub where they turn left on to the bypass road. This will be chaos until the 7 is connected directly as per Steve187's sketch above.

Archived