Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

First this was proposed under YS regime and not last year for the first time. Secondly why cant it be imposed ? When I go to Europe I must have health insurrance inplace to get a visa. This is the correct way to go to prevent sad stories of injured uninsured foreigners on TV. It cost an absolute minimum to insure yourself compared to your other costs, so why cant people afford it. 

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, bheard said:

Can't see that it's idiotic.
What is idiotic is coming to Thailand as a tourist without travel insurance.

Thanks!  I was about to post the same.  At the risk of being called out on here, I am curious as to why some folks see this as idiotic?  Why should the Thai government be burdened with the health care costs for "tourists" who come here and then need medical care?  I am guessing this isn't aimed at the average tourist, but at the folks who come here on a 30 day visa and stay for months or years with no means of supporting themselves/thinking they can live on 500 Baht a day, etc.

2 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

People will seek alternative holiday locations. Another bright idea  cooked up by someone nothing better to do. Talk about biting the hand that feeds u. Lol.

Why would people seek alternative holiday locations just because they are required to have health insurance?  The folks that don't have or can't afford insurance ... are they really spending enough tourist dollars to offset the health costs to the government?

You might want the read the "fine print" on your credit cards.  Many have emergency travel coverage if you use their cards for booking and other expenses on your trip. My Cap One covers up to $300K US and I use it exclusively.  Best if you upgrade your cards too.   And not all credit card companies are the same.

First this was proposed under YS regime and not last year for the first time. Secondly why cant it be imposed ? When I go to Europe I must have health insurrance inplace to get a visa. This is the correct way to go to prevent sad stories of injured uninsured foreigners on TV. It cost an absolute minimum to insure yourself compared to your other costs, so why cant people afford it. 

Agree, it is the correct way to have insurance and also it costs a minimum but how to sort out the people that have already an insurance when the arrive in Thailand? Impossible

2 minutes ago, kannot said:

I Keep a  few  million in the bank for "what ifs" but dont insure, why dont they just make you sign a document stating "I understand I have no insurance and may die in Thailand" waiver.

I do that also......but really the simple solution is if the Thai hospitals just used common sense and request foreigners show ability to pay (or insurance) BEFORE they start treating them.....In the real world, this is how businesses work. 

Insurance companies exist for one reason only - to make a profit. And they do that buy charging more money to their policy holders than they pay out to the hospitals. Like I said before compulsory insurance is a scam, it will only lead to much higher medical costs like what happened under Obamacare in America. Hospitals and doctors  increased the bills enormously because their patients don't directly pay the bills and everyone had insurance who covered the higher costs with higher premiums in a never ending cycle .

Great idea! Just follow the news and learn how many foreigners - expats and tourists - are uninsured while staying in Thailand (or elsewhere), leaving a track of unpaid medical bills! Some start beggar posts on blogs or start fundraising to pay for their medical bills. Complete pathetic or, even better, asocial behaviour! Stay in Thailand but can't afford a descent insurance and let other people pay the bill for you.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Idiotic, it's bad enough now with the Chinese at DM, imagine the 'queues' for insurance machines, folks with no baht, arguing, kids crying, machines breaking down, laughable.

The answer would appear to be to buy the insurance before travelling - perhaps when purchasing one's tickets - complicated I know.

1 minute ago, Time Traveller said:

I do that also......but really the simple solution is if the Thai hospitals just used common sense and request foreigners show ability to pay (or insurance) BEFORE they start treating them.....In the real world, this is how businesses work. 

I agree with you 99.99%, but wouldn't a pubic hospital have a moral duty to treat someone regardless of being able to pay.  Which is why all the ERs in the States are full of uninsured folks.

4 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Why would people seek alternative holiday locations just because they are required to have health insurance?  The folks that don't have or can't afford insurance ... are they really spending enough tourist dollars to offset the health costs to the government?

Umm, like it's called Freedom of Choice dude......a concept you might not know of. Just like people that don't like being forced to do things, are choosing not to come to thailand........Strange as it may sound to you.

1 minute ago, Time Traveller said:

Umm, like it's called Freedom of Choice dude......a concept you might not know of. Just like people that don't like being forced to do things, are choosing not to come to thailand........Strange as it may sound to you.

Okay dude.  

Sure folks don't like being forced to do things, just like I (and others) don't like being forced into caring for folks who become a burden on society because ... they want to be free.  

Hang on a moment, I recall about 4 years ago they increased the arrival tax to cover the costs on medical expenses for tourists who were injured, what happened to those funds?  That was deemed to raise multi million baht in funds.  

12 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

I agree with you 99.99%, but wouldn't a pubic hospital have a moral duty to treat someone regardless of being able to pay.  Which is why all the ERs in the States are full of uninsured folks.

To citizens yes. But here's the thing, many of those they treat do pay....The reality is in business, all companies have a few customers that don't pay. Hospitals are no different....Why do they expect 100% customer payment when it does not exist in any other industry? I'm not saying this to be smart, I'm just saying when you distort the natural market, then pricing power will entirely go to the suppliers i(e. hospitals and insurance companies) who can charge any thing they like, instead of being set by supply & demand - what buyers will pay. 

Just now, Time Traveller said:

To citizens yes. But here's the thing, many of those they treat do pay....The reality is in business, all companies have a few customers that don't pay. Hospitals are no different....Why do they expect 100% customer payment when it does not exist in any other industry? I'm not saying this to be smart, I'm just saying when you distort the natural market, then pricing power will entirely go to the supplies i(e. hospitals and insurance companies) who can charge any thing they like, instead of being set by supply & demand - what buyers will pay. 

Totally see your point and agree.  I suspect this is backlash on the number of folks that do come here, live on meager savings, don't have a visa, etc, etc.   Which is harsh of me to say, but ...

Seems like a very good idea to me, anyone who travels without insurance is crazy anyway.  Can't see the problem with organising insurance in your country of origin and if you don't, then you will before your next visit, after you spend hours queuing at the vending machines at the airport.

The cost of getting travel insurance shouldn't put people off travelling here! It doesn't cost very much, even for folk in their seventies. It's common sense to buy travel insurance but I know many don't.

The biggest issue is checking the insurance. Imagine a planeload of Chinese? It's already bad enough getting them through Immigration!

Another example: I have annual travel insurance but I have never been sent a policy or even a card by my insurer or broker. I know I'm covered but I wouldn't be able to prove it if asked! This thread just prompted me into sending the brokers a reminder.

As for expats; you should have insurance anyway. I know some can't get it or prefer to self-insure; in these instances perhaps an extra amount should be shown in the bank when the extension of stay renewal comes up. I don't know if Thai Elite includes insurance but perhaps it should. 

24 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Thanks!  I was about to post the same.  At the risk of being called out on here, I am curious as to why some folks see this as idiotic?  Why should the Thai government be burdened with the health care costs for "tourists" who come here and then need medical care?  I am guessing this isn't aimed at the average tourist, but at the folks who come here on a 30 day visa and stay for months or years with no means of supporting themselves/thinking they can live on 500 Baht a day, etc.

Why should the Thai government be burdened with the health care costs for "tourists"

The Thai government is not burdened by tourist medical needs or care

in anyway what so ever...99% of the time if a foreigner can not pay the

foreigner does not get treated.....This is the truth...So stop with the

exaggeration and lies..

Having insurance is one thing, what it actually covers more important. I can see shitty policies being sold at the airport which have more exclusions than inclusions.

The fine print will say you are covered for nothing once you set foot outside the airport. Nice idea, but wholly unworkable.

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

Why should the Thai government be burdened with the health care costs for "tourists"

The Thai government is not burdened by tourist medical needs or care

in anyway what so ever...99% of the time if a foreigner can not pay the

foreigner does not get treated.....This is the truth...So stop with the

exaggeration and lies..

Why was I exaggerating or lying?  I was stating my opinion and asking a reasonable question.  

15 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

i agree with freedom of  choice as long as you are aware of the consequence.............if i chose no insurance I would expect to die if unable to pay, the problem comes near the end of life (old  age 80+) when you may  not have enough to pay.

Archived