Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

Just now, kurtmartens said:

Why was I exaggerating or lying?  I was stating my opinion and asking a reasonable question.  

Sorry I did not mean any thing personal....

I just get very tired of hearing this repeated endlessly...

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another completely ridiculous proposal. Another seemingly oblivious way to thwart tourism. The hospitals are losing a very insignificant amount of money. They simply appealed to the right person in power, and walla. Nothing else was taken into consideration. Nothing. No vision. No wisdom. No coherent policy from this fabulously incompetent administration. Tourism insurance, bought overseas to cover tourists while in Thailand? The cost of medicine is so reasonable here, and so overpriced in so many places overseas, it just does not make sense, to anyone but the hospital administrators, who hate losing part of their annual bonus. 

Just suppose a policy was taken by an average visitor.  Would it cover for renting a motorbike?  For a rider with no license as is usual?

It might not even cover riding in a tuk tuk.

What about elephant riding, cuddling tigers, trekking, rock climbing, ziplines and bunjy jumping, white water rafting, jet skis and scuba diving?

At the airport point of issue should the tourist be informed they should not do any of these?

Probably it would cover for the most dangerous of them all - crossing the road!

1 hour ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Retirement extension fee...  1900 THB

Compulsory insurance...   36,000 THB

Getting to stay in a country where you are despised...  Priceless...

I have a excellent travel insurance for 300 Euro and they saved my life a couple of times !!!!!

How will it be enforced at the airport. You have god knows how many different nationalities coming through. If i wafted a piece of paper which i claimed was my insurance document and was written in Hindi, Mandarin or Korean will the immigration office be expected to understand its contents. I could just as well be showing him my car insurance

This whole idea is probably on the assumption that all documents will be in either Thai or English after which it becomes a nightmare for the immigration officers with huge lines of tired, impatient and frustrated people and more documents to examine and then argue over. 

And what if 30% of people simply refuse to buy - There is neither the capacity to refuse them entry in terms of space to be held at the air port and then chartering enough flights to take them back to their various departure points

And then what happens if after being forced to buy it....the insurance doesn't pay out - The brains behind this need to show some accountability here???

1 hour ago, ianf said:

And for the expats etc aged over 70 who cannot get insurance. I guess they will be told just to Flip Off?

I am 71 and still have insurance at BUPA and will not be kicked out as long as i pay my premium.

Amazing. They complain about the uninsured foreigners having treatment in Thai hospitals but not a though to the fact that probably 80-90% of those foreigners would not be anywhere near those hospitals if it wasn't for the incompetence & savagery of Thais themselves. 

Listen to the thaivisa experts extol on the the price of hospitals and health in THailand. All the biases blended into a complex economy with confidence.

I empathise with Thai authority's efforts to close or at least narrow an obvious fiscal drain. It may not be the best way, but neither is the flood of broke expats semi finding their retirements here without recompense to the costs of their own decline. The expedited alternative is cruel and obvious too.

Government hospitals ultimately will have to refuse to attend unvalidated foreigners. It will get there and why shouldn't their health system recoup costs from non tax payers?

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The hole thing is a scam, they are already calculating how much profit they will make from these insurances'

They may think that but is it not true you have to buy travel insurance in your own country b4 you leave

But then again this lot will come up with an idea for those who may forget and it will be expensive

3 minutes ago, optad said:

Listen to the thaivisa experts extol on the the price of hospitals and health in THailand. All the biases blended into a complex economy with confidence.

I empathise with Thai authority's efforts to close or at narrow an obvious fiscal drain. It may not be the best way, but neither is broke expats semi finding their retirements here without recompense to their own decline. The expedient alternative is cruel and obvious too.

Government hospitals ultimately will have to refuse to attend unvalidated foreigners. It will get there and why shouldn't their health system recoup costs from non tax payers?

For the millionth time not true....

Another completely ridiculous proposal. Another seemingly oblivious way to thwart tourism. The hospitals are losing a very insignificant amount of money. They simply appealed to the right person in power, and walla. Nothing else was taken into consideration. Nothing. No vision. No wisdom. No coherent policy from this fabulously incompetent administration. Tourism insurance, bought overseas to cover tourists while in Thailand? The cost of medicine is so reasonable here, and so overpriced in so many places overseas, it just does not make sense, to anyone but the hospital administrators, who hate losing part of their annual bonus. 

Acctually its muc cheaper travel insurances in UK and Poland Easy to buy and many reliable. U just buy it from website for 20GBP

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, bananafish said:

A Thai person wanting to travel to almost any country outside of the ASEAN needs to prove they have insurance. 

is that true ? dragged my wife to the usa for 11 years, that was 7 years ago when we then moved here; i dont recall anything like this (18 years ago)

8 minutes ago, jonclark said:

How will it be enforced at the airport. You have god knows how many different nationalities coming through. If i wafted a piece of paper which i claimed was my insurance document and was written in Hindi, Mandarin or Korean will the immigration office be expected to understand its contents. I could just as well be showing him my car insurance

This whole idea is probably on the assumption that all documents will be in either Thai or English after which it becomes a nightmare for the immigration officers with huge lines of tired, impatient and frustrated people and more documents to examine and then argue over. 

And what if 30% of people simply refuse to buy - There is neither the capacity to refuse them entry in terms of space to be held at the air port and then chartering enough flights to take them back to their various departure points

And then what happens if after being forced to buy it....the insurance doesn't pay out - The brains behind this need to show some accountability here???

Your a bit too quick - the article announced there is a proposal and it doesn't yet give any details about what the proposal includes.

Chinese are not farang so it is  possible only trouble countries with too many sick Visitors Will have to proof to have good insurance like the Schengen system and Chinese Will be free of that otherwise tourism to Thailand Will drop with 50 %

A goodl accident insurance by a Thai company is about 6000 TH/year. The typycal tourist visa runs for about 2 months. Will be no ptoblerms in charge an insurance  "fee" at entry of 500TH to tourist,  and another 500TH on every 3  months extension, or even 6000TH to every one year retirement or work extension to uninsured foreigners. In most countries tourist and foreigners have to have a credit card to get medical attention if not having insurance. Asking Thailand to do for free, do not make sense, and probably is a burden to Thai hospitals at the moment. In my opinion any car or motorbike rental needs to includes mandatory accident insurance. 

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Your a bit too quick - the article announced there is a proposal and it doesn't yet give any details about what the proposal includes.

You are very right...but what is your gut telling you? - and I'm not on about last nights curry!

The only way this can be done is that travel insurance becomes mandatory to get a tourist visa to Thailand. In the same way as in the Schengen countries. However immigration rules and procedures must be changed and most immigration offices will become redundant, which means that many employees need to be retrained to other jobs. In the end this will have to be weighed up against the income Immigration offices get in annual in fees against the costs some unlucky and sick foreigners which travel here without travel insurance cost the Thai government annually.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

BS. Anyway, everyone with a brain should have one. No matter where he's going to travel. But as someone wrote already, if you read the fine print your holiday might be very boring...

Rubbish. Cannot get insurance here if over 70. I am 82. Do  I have to leave and take my millions of baht with me?

2 hours ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Retirement extension fee...  1900 THB

Compulsory insurance...   36,000 THB

Getting to stay in a country where you are despised...  Priceless...

Who in their right mind would ever live or visit a place where they feel they are despised by the locals???

Hard to grasp some of the odd humor bitter posts on TV. Do more of what makes you happy and do it in a place you enjoy ----any place that you enjoy --but don't waste precious time in a place you despise or feel despised. Peace ?

20 minutes ago, jonclark said:

My wife has never been asked for insurance to the Uk when we go every year/ 

You cannot get a tourist visa to UK without a valid health insurance policy, been there and done it three times.

Archived