Report: All foreign tourists will soon need insurance in order to enter Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, JohnThailandJohn said:

Curious ... for those of you who live in places like the UK and Canada, where healthcare is guaranteed ... how do they handle foreign tourists needing medical care? Is it free, billed or do they require payment upfront?

If say involved in an accident, road, car etc, in UK all and any treatment required will be done without any check being made for insurance. 

How they would bill for it I'm really not sure. They wouldn't hold your passport and demand payment before handing it back or refuse to start treatment in A&E for example until you showed you could pay etc.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

my point is;

you say medical ins unqualified, we are here talking about maybe a hundred different countries, if not more,

the term medical insurance does NOT mean the same across the board the same goes for the term travel ins

me personally? I use travel insurance, have used the same company for 30 years and am quite simply very pleased.

the medical coverage is excellent (limit less)

and it does not bother me the least that my camera and mobile is insured for theft/loss, even if of no interest

its kinda weird to talk about medical and travel unqualified, these policies are not standardized products across the world

just for fun I did some googling for medical insurance in my home country,

products in abundance but totally different from the medical you talk about,

not even designed for the same kind of purpose

4 hours ago, bmanly said:

I might also add, I have travelled to over 50 countries in my life time and not one has ever required me to have travel insurance. Why is Thailand the only country wanting this?

Mis-informed, factually incorrect statement, and sweeping generalisations

Here is a list of 6 countries requiring travel insurance for starters...

Poland

Czech Republic

Cuba

United Kingdom

Qatar

Ecuador

18 minutes ago, Scottjouro said:

Mis-informed, factually incorrect statement, and sweeping generalisations

Here is a list of 6 countries requiring travel insurance for starters...

Poland

Czech Republic

Cuba

United Kingdom

Qatar

Ecuador

I never plan to go to these countries any ways..

5 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

United Kingdom

UK? Since when? I was there 10 years ago, it was not a condition of entry for an Australian. Has this changed? Link? As for the other countries I have no interest in going there.

12 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

as far as I know;

all Thais travelling to Europe (Schengen) need a visa, an insurance for the period of the visa must be shown before visa is issued

Absolutely correct.

Anyway, having a travel insurance would not hurt anyone in any way, especially people in their advanced years of life.

Just for your info. Actually the Thai visa requirements are very reasonable compared to what other countries ask for >>> https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Absolutely correct.

Anyway, having a travel insurance would not hurt anyone in any way, especially people in their advanced years of life.

Just for your info. Actually the Thai visa requirements are very reasonable compared to what other countries ask for >>> https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/

QUOTE:

Actually the Thai visa requirements are very reasonable compared to what other countries ask for >>> https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't think this is a fair comment.

If Schengen would require the same "very reasonable" requirements from Thais, how many Thais do you think would live in Thailand? How many Thais would live in Europe? Same goes for most Asians and Africans.

22 hours ago, The manic said:

In the UK most people get free travel insurance via their home insurance or it comes free with a bank account. 

You might want to alter that to SOME people. Probably less than half of UK insurers /  banks offer this as standard, and of those that do, many limit it to Europe and the medical cover is basic (probably because of EHIC, which might well cease at BREXIT.)

If you wish to travel further, especially for long trips, you have to update the policy, so might as well buy a standard travel policy in the first place.

22 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Medical Insurance...Medical Insurance...We dont need no stinking Medical Insurance....  

Is it because you have unlimited money or because of Fundraising & Crowdfunding schemes like GoFundMe?

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE:

Actually the Thai visa requirements are very reasonable compared to what other countries ask for >>> https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-application-requirements/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't think this is a fair comment.

If Schengen would require the same "very reasonable" requirements from Thais, how many Thais do you think would live in Thailand? How many Thais would live in Europe? Same goes for most Asians and Africans.

To be very honest, you would be surprised at how Asians and Africans get their PR in the West! Most 'normal' people from those countries are at a quandary about this!

The living proof is how these expatriates are causing untold problems in the West - all Asians and Africans aren't trouble makers!

(Of course, excepting the super rich and the professionals).

On 10/2/2018 at 2:26 AM, The manic said:

How long were you in hospital? How much were you out of pocket? If the insurance company accepted your claim..then no problem...All good.

A. 1 night, not 100% necessary, but would get out at midnight to check into a cheap hotel if you don't have transport available? I doubt, insurance covered the room. They wouln't have let me out anyway without leaving a hefty deposit.

B. 350 bath, the bill quoted "others" ???

C. Yes an no, the pricing is even higher than in the west, what happens if you need to go a second time in, and your policy is used up because, the charged you 5 times what would have been normal.

TiT, whatever way they'll do it, it will be a <deleted>, there will be many profiteers along the way, but it will not be the one who bought the insurance. 

Excellent - a travel insurance which covers accidents and un-foreseen sicknesses is something which makes perfect sense for tourists. Can be bought before travelling in their home country, will lower the burden for local hospitals and should give peace of mind for oneself and family. Wonder why this was not made mandatory since years already. Also I see no obstacles in regard of queing or scam if the Tourist get this Information before e.g. while booking a flight or Hotel.

Archived