Is your pool safe ?.

sappersrest

A couple of good reasons to ensure grills are firmly fixed, and that  suction are not to powerful.

If you are contemplating a new build ensure you have two bottom drain  and adhere to safe velocities on suction and delivery points in the pool.

An emergency stop button mounted externaly to the plant room is a must and everyone instructed in its use.

Very poor reporting especially in the terminology used, but you will get the gist of it.

This is just the beginning of the European holiday season!!!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3725845/lad-14-has-his-intestines-sucked-out-by-the-filter-of-a-swimming-pool-leaving-him-fighting-for-his-life/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/01/girl-6-underwater-two-minutes-hair-sucked-lanzarote-pool-filter/

I'll add to the above that one should install a decent pool fence if you have small children or regularly have them to visit.

Pools are a magnet for kids of all ages, of course they should never be able to gain unsupervised access to the pool.

Dogs also like pools and they're not good at climbing ladders.

A less-than-helpful post has been removed.

Let's try and keep this one to actual safety precautions for a domestic pool.

Invariably these will revolve around kids, but adults die every year in entirely preventable accidents.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2017 at 4:46 PM, Beats56 said:

I see all these adverts for homes for sale. Never seen one with a fence.around a pool which is a law In my home country. Accident waiting too happen.

If I don't have children, why would I need a fence? I guess i don't have to protect myself.

Fouling of pools

So the grandchildren come round to play in your pool , you not knowing one of them has a dodgy tum  and has diarrhea in you lovely pool by which time has turned slightly brown.

Being very rich you have another pool and some one does a poo in the pool solid this time.

Whilst the eldest has vomited in your jacuzzi.

In each case what would you do?

Whilst this may seem a very frivolous way of asking a question the actions that you follow can have very serious implications if not correct.

Been quite a few accidental drownings  here actually.  One is too many. So you have a fence all around your yard w/pool, and feel safe?  Good for you.  You're a happy camper. then.   Forget your childhood already?  Guess you were goodie two shoes and never sneaked into places you weren't supposed to.  Children seem to be very good at it.  Reason there are laws about pools and fences, if not here other countries have them.

5 hours ago, sappersrest said:

Whilst this may seem a very frivolous way of asking a question

it's not a frivolous but an irrelevant question. if that really happened the water including the content of the overflow tank would be changed within 24 hours (or even earlier). and instead of Khun Somchai climbing into an enclosed potentially dangerous space the ofl-tank would be several times rinsed, pumped out and sanitised whilst Somchais wife Khun Lek would pressure clean the pool.

p.s. i wish i had grandchildren who'd force me to carry out the above-mentioned procedure at least once a year. unfortunately... no habb :sad:

3 hours ago, Naam said:

it's not a frivolous but an irrelevant question. if that really happened the water including the content of the overflow tank would be changed within 24 hours (or even earlier). and instead of Khun Somchai climbing into an enclosed potentially dangerous space the ofl-tank would be several times rinsed, pumped out and sanitised whilst Somchais wife Khun Lek would pressure clean the pool.

p.s. i wish i had grandchildren who'd force me to carry out the above-mentioned procedure at least once a year. unfortunately... no habb :sad:

For a start it is not necessary to empty the pool in all in the scenarios listed.

So I can take it your answer would be to empty the pool, thats a good start to the discussion, many thanks for your input. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/26/2017 at 9:08 AM, sappersrest said:

Fouling of pools

So the grandchildren come round to play in your pool , you not knowing one of them has a dodgy tum  and has diarrhea in you lovely pool by which time has turned slightly brown.

Being very rich you have another pool and some one does a poo in the pool solid this time.

Whilst the eldest has vomited in your jacuzzi.

In each case what would you do?

Whilst this may seem a very frivolous way of asking a question the actions that you follow can have very serious implications if not correct.

I used to work in the brewery and dairy industry. One time while commissioning the conductivity sensors on the CIP system I commented to the dairy manager that there was less chlorine in his rinse water than in a swimming pool. His retort was that no one pisses in his tanks. Family member has a whoopsie in the pool let the filter do its job and then shock the pool if you must. Anyway if your grandchildren are coming over there is a chance that you ate dirt/worms as a child. 

As for grand children visiting It should take them very few visits to learn to swim, which should be house rules. Not having a fence should be a good reason for them not coming every week! You should also cut down any trees in your garden lest they climb them, etc, etc.

That being said their safe keeping is their parent's responsibility. Not yours or society's.

The almost total lack of safety for swimmers and non-swimmers in Thailand is totally unforgivable.

Whether your current neighbours have kids (or Thais) who can't swim, is beyond the point.

As another Aussie has pointed out, in Australia and NZ, it is an absolute MUST, compulsory by law, to have the correct fencing and self-closing gates around all pools.

The 1.2metre  fences are designed so toddlers can't climb them, the gates have a magnetic catch which locks after each use.

To own a pool and not have these safety measures is similar to riding a motorbike with kids and no helmet - a very big fine and possibly someone's death on your conscience.

Why is Thailand so totally careless when it comes to safety?

13 minutes ago, masuk said:

Whether your current neighbours have kids (or Thais) who can't swim, is beyond the point.

true! that's why none of my pools were/are fenced. you have children? teach them not to fall into the neighbour's pool. period.

28 minutes ago, masuk said:

Why is Thailand so totally careless when it comes to safety?

Does anyone really care what is done in Australia or anywhere else? This is Thailand and they have a different perspective on life. Dogs can't ride in the back of a pickup? Why? They enjoy it. After 5pm youths ride without helmets because if one is out looking for love no one can see you if you wear a helmet!  These are just some of the things we have to adapt to if adopting Thailand as a home. 

As for neighbors kids? Isn't the whole plot walled/fenced off? If building a pool then fence off the whole yard but don't have a horrible nanny state fence around the pool that makes enjoying the yard a PIA. 

I don't see how having a fence around one's pool makes one a better person? I have been to many houses in Thailand with pools. I don't remember seeing one with a fence because again the whole plot is walled/fenced. EDIT. OK my mate fenced of his pool/summerhouse area otherwise his three Labradors would live in the pool and they make the whole area wet and a mess.

In Indonesia many pools are only 1.5m deep for a similar reason as maids/staff do occasionally fall in and drown. If one has dogs then build a ramp?

On 6/25/2017 at 10:49 PM, janclaes47 said:

If I don't have children, why would I need a fence? I guess i don't have to protect myself.

You may have the children of a neighbor or friend come calling. As Crossy said, pools act like a magnet for kids.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

true! that's why none of my pools were/are fenced. you have children? teach them not to fall into the neighbour's pool. period.

Do you/have you had toddlers and a pool? Toddlers have a horrible habit of suddenly disappearing from sight when you least expect and when you think you're watching them. It takes a second or two distraction. I lost count of the number of times one of my three would disappear, one memorable occasion camping in the Ardeche and my four-year old went down to the river while we were having lunch. It took 30 mins to find him with the help of others, he'd just gone for a walk......I've never known such fear in my life as those 30 mins

Our son, wife and three-year old daughter are coming for two weeks next month.

Our pool is already three parts walled and hedged so we're looking at a gate from the verandah to pool area and some green netting behind the hedge so she can't wander in unobserved. No big deal.

I'd rather do that than spend two weeks constantly on watch making sure she doesn't get to the pool and fall in.

We only have one elderly neighbour, a cassava collection site and a farmers supply shop local to us so kids sneaking in is not a problem.

Friends who bring their kids for a swim are watched by their siblings/parents and is not my worry.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

pools act like a magnet for kids.

Not if they can't swim? 

1 hour ago, grollies said:

and three-year old daughter are coming for two weeks next month.

What a brilliant opportunity. Tell the girl she can't go into the pool unless she can prove to you she can swim a width. It will take her about two days of intense supervision and even if she swims underwater but makes it across that is enough and you can relax. Some children are part mermaid and some are not? 

I had the benefit of a kiddy pool for practice but the method worked for me. 

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Not if they can't swim? 

Wanna bet?

I do like the idea of proving she can swim, but it is still imperative that a child of that age is supervised 110% of the time she's in the pool. If she can't be watched (and toddlers do have a magical habit of just vanishing) then measures must be taken to keep her out.

Our grandkids swim like fish, indeed they seem to spend more time under the water than on top, but there is always an adult by the pool keeping a weather eye on them, accidents can and do happen even for strong swimmers.

Please note, I'm not advocating pool fences for all. We have two fish ponds which are unfenced, the current pool is above ground anyway so is self-fencing. But those who have regular visits by those under, say, 5, have a duty of care to their visitors, if that means a fence is needed then so be it.

23 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

What you do with your land and your pool is none of my business, I speak for my pool

If it's non of your business why say ''My premises are secured, as should everyone's....''

We have concrete post and barbed wire all around but it won't stop kids (and doesn't stop dogs, late night fishermen, etc.) getting through.

7 hours ago, masuk said:

The almost total lack of safety for swimmers and non-swimmers in Thailand is totally unforgivable.

that applies to Europe too. i have never seen any fenced pool there whether private or public.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

If it's non of your business why say ''My premises are secured, as should everyone's....''

We have concrete post and barbed wire all around but it won't stop kids (and doesn't stop dogs, late night fishermen, etc.) getting through.

I'm not interested in an argument, so this will be my last response regarding this matter.

Nobody lives on 32 Rai of land.

I don't doubt your wife owns 32 Rai of land, but that is farm land surrounding the premises you live on, but the land where you actually live on is much smaller.

If you are happy with your security issues, where everyone can just walk around on your property as it suits them, then that is your choice.

As Naam say, I'm also European and have never seen a fenced pool.

By the way, I actually have ever been in the house of someone who lived on 28 Rai of land, and it was all fenced.

The owner was red bull

Archived