Is your pool safe ?.

sappersrest

6 hours ago, grollies said:

Do you/have you had toddlers and a pool? Toddlers have a horrible habit of suddenly disappearing from sight when you least expect and when you think you're watching them. It takes a second or two distraction. I lost count of the number of times one of my three would disappear, one memorable occasion camping in the Ardeche and my four-year old went down to the river while we were having lunch. It took 30 mins to find him with the help of others, he'd just gone for a walk......I've never known such fear in my life as those 30 mins

Our son, wife and three-year old daughter are coming for two weeks next month.

Our pool is already three parts walled and hedged so we're looking at a gate from the verandah to pool area and some green netting behind the hedge so she can't wander in unobserved. No big deal.

I'd rather do that than spend two weeks constantly on watch making sure she doesn't get to the pool and fall in.

We only have one elderly neighbour, a cassava collection site and a farmers supply shop local to us so kids sneaking in is not a problem.

Friends who bring their kids for a swim are watched by their siblings/parents and is not my worry.

Don't forget to fence the river in Ardeche before your next visit. The concept of parental responsibility, child control / supervision and education springs to mind when I read this.

I don't think I've ever seen a fenced pool in either a private residence or a public hotel pool outside of Oz. Nanny state gone mad. Never have I seen a river, lake, reservoir, canal or ocean fenced off. If you can't be bothered to supervise your children in potentially dangerous environments or teach them to be aware of such dangers then put a leash on them, then you can get on with enjoying a beer with your friends around the barbie...

Why draw the line at pools, what about roads, cliff tops, piers, jetties, shopping mall escalators, station platforms etc, etc.

13 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Don't forget to fence the river in Ardeche before your next visit. The concept of parental responsibility, child control / supervision and education springs to mind when I read this.

I don't think I've ever seen a fenced pool in either a private residence or a public hotel pool outside of Oz. Nanny state gone mad. Never have I seen a river, lake, reservoir, canal or ocean fenced off. If you can't be bothered to supervise your children in potentially dangerous environments or teach them to be aware of such dangers then put a leash on them, then you can get on with enjoying a beer with your friends around the barbie...

Why draw the line at pools, what about roads, cliff tops, piers, jetties, shopping mall escalators, station platforms etc, etc.

:clap2:

Bonding ! ground rods as long as you can get them to reach humid soil!  earth leakage protection !  something almost never done at Thai pools.

Every year a lot of people die because of this.

Remember all the posts of tourists electrocuted in Thai pools?

ALL needs to be bonded  with the thickest copper wire you can get.

Rebar in the pools's concrete walls and floor and in the pavement. , the metal fence around, pump, ladder on TWO handrails etc. ALL metal parts in and around the pool.

NO wall sockets and/or switches close to the pool.

17 hours ago, Tofer said:

Don't forget to fence the river in Ardeche before your next visit.

OK mate, 555

The concept of parental responsibility, child control / supervision and education springs to mind when I read this.

I agree, but an average of 12 children drowned each year between 2008 & 2014, the majority in swimming pools

www.makingthelink.net/tools/swimming-pool-safety-–-drowning-and-children-under-five-years

Again I agree but as she's only three and in a new environment, I'm sure her mum & dad will start to educate her on the dangers of swimming pools, but at three years old I'm sure curiosity will be uppermost in her mind. To that end, like I said, no big deal to put up a temporary gate so the adults can relax a little.

Whilst they are using the pool, like you said, it'll be up to the parents to supervise.

Ah, come on........

Ah, come on....  Why where are we going grollies, is there a fence? :)

All joking aside, I fully understand your personal desire to make safe your pool if you don't wish to keep your eyes on stalks for their visit. 

A Safety Cavuum Release System – or SVRS for short – is an automatic suction force release system. When a drain becomes blocked, the SVRS provides a rapid vacuum release. This quickly frees anyone whoes body or limb is trapped on the drain.

SVRS: Safety Vacuum Release System

• Selfmonitoring, nonelectrical and low maintenance

• Easy to install within thirty minutes

• Long lasting design features moisture resistant PVC and stainless steel construction

• Simple adjustment and manual reset

• Meets all requirements of International Code Council

• Won't damage your pump when tripped

Details at:

http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/237-safety-systems

9 hours ago, SwimmingPoolsThailand said:

A Safety Cavuum Release System – or SVRS for short – is an automatic suction force release system. When a drain becomes blocked, the SVRS provides a rapid vacuum release. This quickly frees anyone whoes body or limb is trapped on the drain.

• Long lasting design features moisture resistant PVC and stainless steel construction

Details at:

These are a fantastic  bit of kit great for retro fitting, a must if you only have one bottom drain.But really a good thing for new builds.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:57 AM, SwimmingPoolsThailand said:

Details at:

A pool should always have at least 2 main drains..... like all modern pools in the rest of world do. In Thailand they still build new pools with just 1.

37 minutes ago, goltec said:

A pool should always have at least 2 main drains..... like all modern pools in the rest of world do. In Thailand they still build new pools with just 1.

With all due respect, I think this is rather a sweeping statement. Have you visted pool constructions in every country in the world?  I have seen pools in at least 20 countries including the USA, Europe, and Australia, and my experience is different -  including the pools in modern 5-star hotels. However, I do not disagree with the precaution of two drains, but DIY builders will do what they  like. It's a lot cheaper than retrofitting the unit described by SwimmingPoolsThailand.

Just a reminder the reasons for having two bottom drains.

https://www.sta.co.uk/news/2017/06/02/dangers-of-a-pool-circulation-system-suction-entrapment-and-hair-

There is also a school of thought that you do not need bottom drains at all, if the hydraulics are well designed. Bottom inlets , put in the correct places and and an overflow channel , and a suitably sized balance tank with the pump drawing from that.

1 hour ago, Chaichara said:

With all due respect, I think this is rather a sweeping statement. Have you visted pool constructions in every country in the world?  I have seen pools in at least 20 countries including the USA, Europe, and Australia, and my experience is different -  including the pools in modern 5-star hotels. However, I do not disagree with the precaution of two drains, but DIY builders will do what they  like. It's a lot cheaper than retrofitting the unit described by SwimmingPoolsThailand.

This will hopefully be sorted in due course either by fitting oversized drain covers or anti vac devices to stop the pump.

Pools in hotels and other leisure facilities have regular audits the UK.  Where a single drain is evident the facility management are made aware , if they fail to mitigate the possible dangers  and have an accident they will be taken to the cleaners big time.

Except in some countries . The pool industry worldwide see this as a major problem and are attempting to address it by education.

For the cynics it is not done as a money spinner put to promote the health and safety of pool users.

21326_608703i.jpg

The image kindly provided by sappersrest is a safety grating, but as far as we know, no pool dealer here in Thailand stocks this particular model. There is a similar design however from  Emaux with a curved surface that is available from us at: http://swimmingpoolsthailand.com/en/main-drains/1226-emaux-maindrain-12x12.html

emaux-maindrain-12x12.jpg

9 hours ago, Chaichara said:
10 hours ago, goltec said:

With all due respect, I think this is rather a sweeping statement. Have you visted pool constructions in every country in the world?  I have seen pools in at least 20 countries including the USA, Europe, and Australia, and my experience is different -  including the pools in modern 5-star hotels.

with all due respect... calling "goltec's" comment a sweeping statement should earn you the title "Thaivisa's most polite poster of the year 2017".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/5/2017 at 2:40 PM, bluewavesam said:

A fence around the pool, proper pool bonding to keep everyone safe and adult supervision. A pool alarm system is also great especially when you have kids.

teach your kids swimming is greater.

After everything I said, our son and grand daughter came over, didn't put up the fence and there was no problem apart from she'd jump in the pool unsupervised (ok, we were watching) but only when she had on her life preveser. Otherwise she knew she couldn't go in.

• 2 months later...

recently the silver chain around my neck which I've worn all round the world in all conditions...has turned black after swimming in my condo pool following recent pool maintenance ....Anybody know why or got a suggestion based on PH levels...is it safe to swim in.

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, The manic said:

recently the silver chain around my neck which I've worn all round the world in all conditions...has turned black after swimming in my condo pool following recent pool maintenance ....Anybody know why or got a suggestion based on PH levels...is it safe to swim in.

silver turns black when it comes in contact with chlorine

1 hour ago, goltec said:

silver turns black when it comes in contact with chlorine

Actually I think silver chloride is white. It is silver oxide that is black. My best guess is that silver chloride formed while in the pool, and after exiting the pool, the sunlight converted the silver chloride to silver oxide.

Not to nitpick, but presumably it would be safe to swim with silver in the dark...

On 7/6/2018 at 10:48 AM, The manic said:

Thanks for the answers but why now after swimming for 3 years in the same pool plus other pools.

They probably just dosed the pool with 90% Tri-Chlor.

• 4 months later...

There is a pool on the roof of a high-rise building in Bangkok where my son's condo is located. This particular pool has all black tile so when one swims in it he has absolutely no reference point or way of knowing if he is swimming into the side of the pool or not.

Archived