BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EricTh

Chinese tourists are swarming Thailand

Last night I drove by Tops supermarket in Chang Phuek near Mercure hotel.

Lo and behold, there is a new building near there that caters to mostly Chinese tourists because the sign was in Chinese.

It seems to be a Muay Thai boxing stadium. 

Besides this building was a Chinese restaurant and the next building was where the ladyboy cabaret shows are performed every night. 

I could see several busloads of Chinese tourists.

25 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Lo and behold, there is a new building near there that caters to mostly Chinese tourists because the sign was in Chinese.

errr ummm errr ... new ?

that was open in march last year !

dave2

tops mercure hotel muay thai boxing 7 mar 16 20160307_202229.jpg

Last night I drove by Tops supermarket in Chang Phuek near Mercure hotel.

Besides this building was a Chinese restaurant and the next building was where the ladyboy cabaret shows are performed every night. 

I could see several busloads of Chinese tourists.

Well that's just riveting knowledge. :)  

But yes, Chiang Mai tourism is finally very healthy.     I see it in my wife's bank account every month. 

BTW has anyone visited this place, either the boxing or cabaret show?    Might be interesting to book for Chinese guests.  (The Khantoke Dinner at the Old Cultural Center is also popular.)  Although perhaps not if it's overly massive; I tend to meet more middle class independently travelling tourists from China (and elsewhere), not really group tourers.  (And like any group tour thing, that's usually not very nice for people not on the tour.)

BTW2: The growth in tourism is flattening off.  International tourist arrivals in Chiang Mai are still on the rise, but only very slightly growth compared to the crazy growth of a couple years ago.   Which is probably a good thing because I don't think Chiang Mai could handle sustained growth of 75% year after year.  

(Data from AOT, not TAT, because for some reason Farangs don't trust TAT which is kind of peculiar but that's the way it is, so going with AOT data.  Which doesn't of course capture all international tourists as many arrive on domestic flights or train/bus, but it captures trends for Chinese/Asian tourists very well as most direct international flights into Chiang Mai are from China and other countries in the region.)

48 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

many arrive on domestic flights or train/bus

and sometimes by :)

pic taken 1 june 17 

just joshin w  .. dave2

chinese car moonmuang road 1 jun 17 20170601_133745~01.jpg

34 minutes ago, dave2 said:

errr ummm errr ... new ?

that was open in march last year !

Opened March last year? I passed by there quite often and didn't notice it till last night.

The signs here in the photo are in Thai but was in Chinese last night.

The thread title really should be " I noticed there were a lot of Chinese tourists at Chang Phuek last night"

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

The thread title really should be " I noticed there were a lot of Chinese tourists at Chang Phuek last night"

What about "I noticed a group of lovely Chinese seniors spitting all the way down Nimman Soi 17 today"?

Could be a catchy title...

44 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

What about "I noticed a group of lovely Chinese seniors spitting all the way down Nimman Soi 17 today"?

Could be a catchy title...

Hmmm.......hoik hoik hurray

Yes there are hordes of Chinese tourists here, but they get dragged around Pattaya Bay under their parachutes, get led to some huge Chinese run restaurant, and then they go back to China and reminisce. The Indian tourists are here to take over, just as they do everywhere else.

8 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

The Indian tourists are here to take over, just as they do everywhere else.

Indian tourists-where?

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Yes there are hordes of Chinese tourists here, but they get dragged around Pattaya Bay under their parachutes, get led to some huge Chinese run restaurant, and then they go back to China and reminisce. The Indian tourists are here to take over, just as they do everywhere else.

Certainly there are lots of Chinese here with tour groups but there are also growing numbers traveling here on their own.  I'm seeing lots of Chinese couples, families, and young female and male groups of 3 or 4 friends traveling together--very visible in south, central, and north Pattaya.  They're shopping at the nice stores at the malls and eating at the upscale restaurants.  Oh, and they're buying condos, too.  Not exactly zero dollar.

Thread of the year.