Chinese tourists are swarming Thailand

EricTh

7 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Since day one. I do well from them, but I suppose having had the sense to translate my menu into Chinese helped. I've told a few fellow bar/restraunt owners that they should translate their menu into Chinese and their response is usually that it isn't worth the effort because they don't get Chinese!!

Many of the restaurants inside city moat in Chiang Mai have menus in both English and Chinese.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Muzarella said:

HK Express...the Air Asia of China...have 2 flight to Chiang Rai and 4 flights to Chiang Mai a week from Hong Kong for less than $120 round trip. Air Asia 2 flights CM to HK. Very cheap for Chinesse tourist now. Every flight carring at list 200 passengers. That plus the ones flying from other Chinese cities to Bangkok, and the ones driving from the Chiang Kong border.

If the economy and the prices in China keep growing at this pace... will be better for Thais start looking for Chinesse language classes ASAP.

My 300 baht Phayao Chinesse Pizza is getting popular now....and I  am looking for Chinesse help to my Restaurant.  Opening another one in Chiang Rai soon.

Chinese tourist welcome!

If you include Macau and HK there are 15 flights arriving today from China and it's  a wednesday in the low season. The percentage of the population who travel is still small so it's very early days with Chinese tourism in Thailand. The fact that Thailand is close to China(cheap flights) lots of food and fruits, hotels for every budget, hot weather etc etc means it will always be a massive draw. What will the numbers be like in 10 years time? 

4 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

. What will the numbers be like in 10 years time? 

China's population now stands at 1.4 billion so in 10 years time, it will most probably grow to 1.5 billion.  

Now that they have removed the one-child policy.

The population will increase a lot faster.

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

China's population now stands at 1.4 billion so in 10 years time, it will most probably grow to 1.5 billion.  

Now that they have removed the one-child policy.

The population will increase a lot faster.

Are you sure about that. The information I saw is that Chinese don't want a lot of children because they need to work. In Singapore, the government was trying to get clever women to have children because the intelligent ones don't want children. Prefer their careers.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you sure about that. The information I saw is that Chinese don't want a lot of children because they need to work. In Singapore, the government was trying to get clever women to have children because the intelligent ones don't want children. Prefer their careers.

The kind of people you are referring to (who don't want children because of their career) will be more than offset by those particularly in the rural areas who will have more children as a means of generating welfare income during their old age.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Two children is not considered 'a lot'. Five children in the past is considered a lot.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:25 PM, newnative said:

Certainly there are lots of Chinese here with tour groups but there are also growing numbers traveling here on their own.  I'm seeing lots of Chinese couples, families, and young female and male groups of 3 or 4 friends traveling together--very visible in south, central, and north Pattaya.  They're shopping at the nice stores at the malls and eating at the upscale restaurants.  Oh, and they're buying condos, too.  Not exactly zero dollar.

Yes!  Not to mention spending a lot on trips, tours and activities.  (Jungle zipline, visiting Chiang Rai as a day trip, etc.)

On 6/6/2017 at 6:12 PM, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Prawn buffet locusts...

Think again.  

On 6/6/2017 at 9:32 PM, Muzarella said:

HK Express...the Air Asia of China...have 2 flight to Chiang Rai and 4 flights to Chiang Mai a week from Hong Kong for less than $120 round trip. Air Asia 2 flights CM to HK. Very cheap for Chinesse tourist now. Every flight carring at list 200 passengers. That plus the ones flying from other Chinese cities to Bangkok, and

I agree with your overall point but there are LOADS more airlines flying direct into Chiang Mai from China. And many from multiple cities : Beijing Capital Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Hainan Airlines, HK Express, Juneyao Airlines, 
Shandong Airlines, Sichuan Airlines, Spring Airlines.   Plus Air Asia (multiple) and Thai Airways.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:06 PM, EricTh said:

Since when do the Chinese go for western food when coming to Thailand?

Since forever.  I even think a semi-Western atmosphere and Western people are part of the attraction.  Even the likes of Mad Dog, Red Lion et al have a Chinese language sign.   Also (this may be wishful thinking) I think I'm seeing more and more Chinese people make it into bars, too.  This is probably the current challenge: what do do with bars to get more Chinese people in.  I have some thoughts about that but the Thaivisa audience probably isn't the right one anyway for the most part.   Whichever bar owner cracks this one first though will be the first to feature on all the Chinese travel sites and social media, and be raking in the money, instead of withering away catering to the declining demographic of Fatdrunkandstupid (see second quote) Westerners.

On ‎09‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 1:29 PM, EricTh said:

Which movie do you think inspired so many Europeans and Americans to come to Thailand?

Dunno about him, but "The Beach" increased the bagpacker numbers. Ironic, when Richard actually despised their sort.

The number of people visiting the island the movie was made on has ruined Phi Phi, which is next to it, though to be fair, it was well on the way to being ruined before the movie came out.

23 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Several I'd say, over the years.

xtmwtgg_s_07_500.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rHJpbW

N87545-06-1024.jpg

rs-225012-The_Beach_2000_15_.jpg

The-Hangover-Part-II.jpg

LOL. The man with the golden gun caused the ruin of "James Bond" island, The Beach ruined Phi Phi, Hangover pt 2 was complete BS.

You didn't mention Rambo 3 ( I've been to the temple he was repairing- it is near Lamphun, but they don't remember the movie being made there. Worth a visit. very nice temple on a hill beside the Temple of the Footprint ), or Rambo. Then there was that awful Nick Cage film, and at least one of Bruce Lee's films was made in Thailand. Also the last Ong Bak film was set in part down Phuket way, I believe. All of them would have been seen in western countries.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. The man with the golden gun caused the ruin of "James Bond" island, The Beach ruined Phi Phi, Hangover pt 2 was complete BS.

You didn't mention Rambo 3 ( I've been to the temple he was repairing- it is near Lamphun, but they don't remember the movie being made there. Worth a visit. very nice temple on a hill beside the Temple of the Footprint ), or Rambo. Then there was that awful Nick Cage film, and at least one of Bruce Lee's films was made in Thailand. Also the last Ong Bak film was set in part down Phuket way, I believe. All of them would have been seen in western countries.

Here's 4 photos of the "Rambo temple" near Lamphun, for any that are interested. They were repairing the roof, so it had scaffolding up, just like in the film.

There is a road up, so don't have to climb the stairs.

DSC09352 (4).JPG

DSC09373 (3).JPG

DSC09386 (3).JPG

DSC09370.JPG

Be thankful the new China - Laos - Thailand train they are building doesn't stop here. I pity the cities that have stations. Great for those who can profit from them, a nightmare for everyone else.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Be thankful the new China - Laos - Thailand train they are building doesn't stop here. I pity the cities that have stations. Great for those who can profit from them, a nightmare for everyone else.

Why would it be a nightmare compared to any other kind of tourism?    You honestly think Chinese people are doing something worse than Germans/Americans/Britons/etc. did to any place they visited in Thailand?

14 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Why would it be a nightmare compared to any other kind of tourism?    You honestly think Chinese people are doing something worse than Germans/Americans/Britons/etc. did to any place they visited in Thailand?

Of course they do.  They travel in groups of several hundred up to over 1000 at a time.  I was at a temple last year, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere with just a few small groups of quiet Thais and the odd farang around.  Suddenly like clockwork at 3:45pm, 50 buses pull in and Chinese start swarming the place like ants, shouting at each other and taking selfies.  It was obnoxious in the extreme and completely ruined the atmosphere at the temple.  

That is just one example.  I have never seen another nationality that travels in such large groups, with such a huge negative impact on where they are going.  

9 minutes ago, YaiJung said:

Of course they do.  They travel in groups of several hundred up to over 1000 at a time.  I was at a temple last year, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere with just a few small groups of quiet Thais and the odd farang around.  Suddenly like clockwork at 3:45pm, 50 buses pull in and Chinese start swarming the place like ants, shouting at each other and taking selfies.  It was obnoxious in the extreme and completely ruined the atmosphere at the temple.  

That is just one example.  I have never seen another nationality that travels in such large groups, with such a huge negative impact on where they are going.  

You don't live in Chiang Mai right?   We mostly get independent travellers, not that many group tours.  And group tours always go to the same handful of places.

10 minutes ago, YaiJung said:

You missed the part where they gob everywhere...

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

It's currently planned as a medium-speed freight-line, with only domestic (within Thailand) passengers-services, FWIW.

Ask anyone travelling around the globe, all the tourist traps are swarming with Chinese tourists, it's normal.

I saw a blogger complaining about all the Chinese tourists at a hot spring visit in Iceland just today.

On 6/6/2017 at 3:17 PM, phantomfiddler said:

Yes there are hordes of Chinese tourists here, but they get dragged around Pattaya Bay under their parachutes, get led to some huge Chinese run restaurant, and then they go back to China and reminisce. The Indian tourists are here to take over, just as they do everywhere else.

I hope not LOL

Let's get this back on topic (or on topic in the first place, as the OP was a bit strange.)

So here is a flyer for that boxing stadium.  I don't think Chiang Mai even has a prime Muay Thai venue these days, with Kawila Stadium not really in operation, and the Bar Beer Center... well, probably the less said about that the better.

Note the pricing: 

P1040275.thumb.JPG.442d240b1ebafa21923d8402cf4d1334.JPG

And note the cool commission money to be had by taking people there..  If you get a bus in with 30 people with ringside seats then you've made 15,000 Baht for yourself in half an evening. (After also making commission on dinner, and whatever daytime activities.  Is anyone getting convinced yet of the completely insane yet easy money that's on the table and up for grabs every day in Chiang Mai with local tourism FINALLY in an actual swing?  

P1040276.thumb.JPG.338ba45382b39d2cf552e913b400c2a2.JPG

Thank GOD for tourists from China, without whom it would be truly dire in Chiang Mai.  

I like the comment on the boxing flyers "real gambling available" and "no fake". The boxers are told not to hurt each other as its their income stream. Maybe there's some big fights where its full tilt.... but not often.

1 hour ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Note the pricing: 

And note the cool commission money to be had by taking people there..  If you get a bus in with 30 people with ringside seats then you've made 15,000 Baht for yourself in half an evening. (After also making commission on dinner, and whatever daytime activities.  Is anyone getting convinced yet of the completely insane yet easy money that's on the table and up for grabs every day in Chiang Mai with local tourism FINALLY in an actual swing?  

Chinese tourists are rich nowadays so Thai people are cashing in on this. How many Farangs are willing to pay this type of money. That's why the stadium's signboard has changed to Chinese characters to reflect this.

There is a smaller boxing stadium along Loi Kroh road, anyone knows what's their admission price compared to this boxing stadium near Mercure hotel?

By the way, where did you manage to take a photo of the commission letter?

On 9/6/2560 at 4:04 PM, DaddyWarbucks said:

For the Americans it wasn't a movie... it was a bloody war that made them desperate for some R&R.

Spot on, Daddy.

Those were the days when the  Warbucks were really flowing into Thailand.

It wasn't only the GIs coming in on R&R, hundreds of thousands were also stationed here over the years at bases like U-tapao; Takhli; Udorn Thani; Ubon Ratchathani and Sattahip to name just the bigger ones.

They changed this country in fundamental - and often deplorable - ways long before the anonymous hordes of Chinese tourists ever arrived.

Archived