Chinese tourists are swarming Thailand

EricTh

Just now, CMHomeboy78 said:

Spot on, Daddy.

Those were the days when the  Warbucks were really flowing into Thailand.

It wasn't only the GIs coming in on R&R, hundreds of thousands were also stationed here over the years at bases like U-tapao; Takhli; Udorn Thani; Ubon Ratchathani and Sattahip to name just the bigger ones.

They changed this country in fundamental - and often deplorable - ways long before the anonymous hordes of Chinese tourists ever arrived.

You mean the Vietnam war?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 3:06 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. The man with the golden gun caused the ruin of "James Bond" island, The Beach ruined Phi Phi, Hangover pt 2 was complete BS.

You didn't mention Rambo 3 ( I've been to the temple he was repairing- it is near Lamphun, but they don't remember the movie being made there. Worth a visit. very nice temple on a hill beside the Temple of the Footprint ), or Rambo. Then there was that awful Nick Cage film, and at least one of Bruce Lee's films was made in Thailand. Also the last Ong Bak film was set in part down Phuket way, I believe. All of them would have been seen in western countries.

I forgot to mention the latest "Mechanic" film with Jason Statham. It had a very attractive Thai beach with rustic bungalows that I wanted to visit. Unfortunately, I think they built the huts for the film and the reality is less attractive.

44 minutes ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

Spot on, Daddy.

Those were the days when the  Warbucks were really flowing into Thailand.

It wasn't only the GIs coming in on R&R, hundreds of thousands were also stationed here over the years at bases like U-tapao; Takhli; Udorn Thani; Ubon Ratchathani and Sattahip to name just the bigger ones.

They changed this country in fundamental - and often deplorable - ways long before the anonymous hordes of Chinese tourists ever arrived.

LOL. They didn't "change" Thailand. IMO they tapped into an existing culture, and the real damage has been done to Thailand long after the last Vietnam R and R soldier left for good. The real damage was done in the late 1990s with the financial bubble.

I saw a "real" US R and R nightclub/ brothel and experienced the pimps. All that was gone long ago.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. They didn't "change" Thailand. IMO they tapped into an existing culture, and the real damage has been done to Thailand long after the last Vietnam R and R soldier left for good. The real damage was done in the late 1990s with the financial bubble.

I saw a "real" US R and R nightclub/ brothel and experienced the pimps. All that was gone long ago.

Your reply is totally clueless.

Excuse the blunt contradiction, but your assumptions aren't based on reality.

What Thailand is today can be understood - to a large extent - by reading its history and listening to the older generations in Thai families.

The Chinese have had an immense influence on the country, especially urban areas, since the mass migrations of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

From the end of WWII until the American defeat in Vietnam their diplomatic, military, and economic presence in Thailand was the dominant factor. Nobody who was here for even part of that time would dispute that obvious fact.

The currency collapse of 1997 ended the boom times that had started in the early 1980s. The bubble burst, but it was only a speed-bump for the economy. As soon as easy credit became available again the consumer culture took off in high gear. Look at Bangkok and other cities, big and small, as well as many places in the countryside. Money is being spent - even if it's not their own. Being Thais, they're enjoying the rollercoaster ride to the max... and it's great to live among people who can get so much fun out of life regardless of whether they're going up or down.

Swarming Chinese tourists, close economic relations with their country, and big government-to-government deals will bring changes for sure, but to what extent, and how good or bad they will be is impossible to say.

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

There is a smaller boxing stadium along Loi Kroh road, anyone knows what's their admission price compared to this boxing stadium near Mercure hotel?

By the way, where did you manage to take a photo of the commission letter?

Loy Kroh boxing area pricing is also really high.  So much so that a lot of bars in that area now want to opt out of being part of it, which is where all those screens come in.

And the commission letter I got via a friend who recently opened a guesthouse.   It's not really surprising though, absolutely everything around town pays commission, from cookings classes to Art in Paradise to the Night Safari to the Old CM Cultural Center, Tiger Kingdom, Jungle Zipline, Elephant parks, Tube Trek water park, any taxi or van service: you name it and free money comes out all by itself.  Even many restaurants, massage shops, etc, etc.

5 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Loy Kroh boxing area pricing is also really high.  So much so that a lot of bars in that area now want to opt out of being part of it, which is where all those screens come in.

They have been trying to opt out since I came to CM 11 years ago.

I had a bar at the stadium entrance and often heard the owners moaning about boxing nights because the ringside bars are closed to foot traffic. 

I went to the same spot tonight to have a closer look.

Lo and behold, there are two flags inside the cabaret building and they are China's flag and the other seems to be Taiwan's flag. The hall was filled with a Chinese song blaring.

I also saw several double decker busloads of Chinese coming in.

Many red songtaw were waiting outside the boxing stadium but I didn't see many customers going in.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:08 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

This is probably the current challenge: what do do with bars to get more Chinese people in. 

Perhaps I can help with that. Chinese like spectacle performances: dancers/singers with a flashy light show. Some bass-thumping Chinese EDM. Or beautiful, sultry singers that they can send drinks/"flowers" up to the stage to. 

They love to play drinking games. Have lots of standing tables, and provide lots of dice. 

Western bars to them are boring. Lower-energy performances, unfamiliar music, just sitting around. 

I'd like to have a word or two with the Central Group about their Festival mall. Crawling with Chinese and not a single Chinese restaurant in the place. More than a dozen Japanese one, mind you, but the Chicoms and the Japanese are not pals. I can't imagine a Chinese eating Japanese food. 

Why can't we get at least ONE Chinese restaurant? 

Just now, Trujillo said:

I'd like to have a word or two with the Central Group about their Festival mall. Crawling with Chinese and not a single Chinese restaurant in the place. More than a dozen Japanese one, mind you, but the Chicoms and the Japanese are not pals. I can't imagine a Chinese eating Japanese food. 

Japanese companies are richer and more influential at malls in Thailand?

Actually, you can get Chinese food at a lot of average Thai food restaurants and shops. 

If you take out the spicyness from Thai food, you get Chinese food.  So the Chinese can get Chinese food easily but not the Japanese.

Those dumplings, fried rice, noodles, chicken rice, pork knuckles, kale at average Thai shop are actually Chinese food. 

The Chinese can go to a Thai restaurant and say 'no spicy' and that is your Chinese food. Pad Thai, Pad Si Eew, Khao Tom are all basically Chinese food.

I heard that 15% of Thai are actually descended from Chinese.

5 hours ago, Trujillo said:

This is amazingly untrue. Some Chinese, esp from the bigger metropolitan cities, love Japanese food and Hello Kitty. Chinese tourists are the No. 1 spenders in Japan for the past 3 years. 

Also, what "Chinese" restaurant? Cantonese? Shandong? Szechuan? Or the Westernized-version: "fried rice, dumpling, chop suey"?

Anyway, across from Maya and also in Nimman, there are 2 pretty big Szechuan-style hot pot places. If you're adventurous, can check them out!

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

Japanese companies are richer and more influential at malls in Thailand?

Actually, you can get Chinese food at a lot of average Thai food restaurants and shops. 

If you take out the spicyness from Thai food, you get Chinese food.  So the Chinese can get Chinese food easily but not the Japanese.

Those dumplings, fried rice, noodles, chicken rice, pork knuckles, kale at average Thai shop are actually Chinese food. 

The Chinese can go to a Thai restaurant and say 'no spicy' and that is your Chinese food. Pad Thai, Pad Si Eew, Khao Tom are all basically Chinese food.

I heard that 15% of Thai are actually descended from Chinese.

No. It's just that Thai's love Japanese food. Thus more Japanese restaurants.

Yes, Thai food has similar ingredients and cooking methods to some Chinese food. 

Also, there are EIGHT major, and quite distinct, Chinese cuisines. And countless variations amongst the hundreds of cities in China. Szechuan cuisine, for example, is OMGWTF numbingly spicy. They don't like the sweet-spicy of Thai cuisine. Southern Chinese actually like the Thai spices.

Saying Chinese don't like a certain food, is EXACTLY like saying "Europeans don't like X cuisine". There are Italians, Spanish, British etc all with different tastes.

4 hours ago, hspace said:

This is amazingly untrue. Some Chinese, esp from the bigger metropolitan cities, love Japanese food and Hello Kitty. Chinese tourists are the No. 1 spenders in Japan for the past 3 years. 

Also, what "Chinese" restaurant? Cantonese? Shandong? Szechuan? Or the Westernized-version: "fried rice, dumpling, chop suey"?

Anyway, across from Maya and also in Nimman, there are 2 pretty big Szechuan-style hot pot places. If you're adventurous, can check them out!

I was just talking to my friend in Tokyo today. He said the Chinese are everywhere - spending money like there is no tomorrow. And they love Japanese food.

Just now, Trujillo said:

Maybe they are actually Japanese tourists.

Yes indeed..., Chinese travellers are really penetrating out into the world now. They've been in large numbers in S/E Asia for some years now..., I was in Bali just weeks ago and their numbers have increased significantly..., and I thought Bali had reached something close to a tipping point, terminal saturation years ago. I think 'good for them..., they should be able to get out and enjoy their relatively recent middle class wealth more' !
However..., on returning from recent travelling to my little home town of Margaret River, SW Australia..., I've noticed increasing numbers there also...., and it's kind of funny seeing small family groups walking our almost deserted, quiet, clean and ordered suburban streets late at night...., pointing at the houses and talking in awed and hushed tones..., but, they do not react well to Aussie suburban dogs ! Also, they have a strange fascination with our supermarkets..., where they can be seen to swarm up and coo at the fresh food section !  This is all very good for the economies of all out countries. 
I admit that I dislike that they tend not to obey our road and parking rules..., and do not naturally form orderly cue's like everyone else(especially at airports)..., and they allow their children to run amok in supermarket isles.
I'll shut up now in case the PLA is monitoring me...., 

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

I was just talking to my friend in Tokyo today. He said the Chinese are everywhere - spending money like there is no tomorrow. And they love Japanese food.

That's 'cause the ancient Japanese were just Chinese fishermen whose boats got lost.  And Koreans are just Chinese whose ancestors had to get out of Dodge.  And Thai's are just Chinese who got tired of the cold...

What I get a kick out of is the way they all look down on each other.  

With 1.5 Billion people, even a tiny portion of them all cashed up can pretty much inundate any tourist destination.  And make no mistake, they spend lots of money.  They just spend it differently than we are accustomed to seeing our own compatriots spend it.

Really? The Japanese restaurant I frequent has lots of Chinese customers.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

40 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's 'cause the ancient Japanese were just Chinese fishermen whose boats got lost.  And Koreans are just Chinese whose ancestors had to get out of Dodge.  And Thai's are just Chinese who got tired of the cold...

Those are myths. I found this website.

google east asia origin.

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

http://eastasiaorigin.blogspot.com/

They have their myths, I have mine...

If you read your link, you'll see that all of the ethnicities I mentioned passed through China...

BTW, years ago, I read somewhere that there is more ethnic (DNA) diversity between the different groups of Chinese than there is between Africans and Europeans.  But I willingly stand to be ridiculed for that because I'm too lazy to look up the source of that info.  Again.

15 hours ago, hspace said:

Also, there are EIGHT major, and quite distinct, Chinese cuisines. And countless variations amongst the hundreds of cities in China. Szechuan cuisine, for example, is OMGWTF numbingly spicy. They don't like the sweet-spicy of Thai cuisine. Southern Chinese actually like the Thai spices.

Saying Chinese don't like a certain food, is EXACTLY like saying "Europeans don't like X cuisine". There are Italians, Spanish, British etc all with different tastes.

There are certain common characteristics between the different Chinese food just as between different European food. 

Saying most Chinese like spicy food is the same as saying most Europeans like spicy Indian food.

Szechuan cuisine is an exception and not the norm.

In general, these are the characteristics of the various cuisines.

Chinese food - noodles, rice, Chinese condiments(garlic, onion, ginger), pork, soya sauce.  They generally don't include any dairy nor a lot of hot spices. 

Beef eating is an imported western culture and so not considered Chinese.

European food - bread, dairy products (cheese, butter, milk), beef, potatoes. They generally don't include a lot of hot spices.

(Spaghetti noodles is originally from China and so not included)

Hot spices mean curries, hot chillis etc which are characteristics of Indian food.

Maybe they are actually Japanese tourists.

Great, then I can speak both Mandarin AND Japanese, apparently....

My point is that with all the Chinese in Central Festival, you'd think someone would open at least ONE Chinese joint. 

40 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Great, then I can speak both Mandarin AND Japanese, apparently....

My point is that with all the Chinese in Central Festival, you'd think someone would open at least ONE Chinese joint. 

Is there a food court in Central Festival like the one at the basement in Maya?

I see a lot of Chinese tourists eating there at the basement.

Like I said, Thai food is generally the same as Chinese food without the hot spices and they are happy with that.

On ‎12‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 7:25 PM, CMHomeboy78 said:

Your reply is totally clueless.

Excuse the blunt contradiction, but your assumptions aren't based on reality.

What Thailand is today can be understood - to a large extent - by reading its history and listening to the older generations in Thai families.

The Chinese have had an immense influence on the country, especially urban areas, since the mass migrations of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

From the end of WWII until the American defeat in Vietnam their diplomatic, military, and economic presence in Thailand was the dominant factor. Nobody who was here for even part of that time would dispute that obvious fact.

The currency collapse of 1997 ended the boom times that had started in the early 1980s. The bubble burst, but it was only a speed-bump for the economy. As soon as easy credit became available again the consumer culture took off in high gear. Look at Bangkok and other cities, big and small, as well as many places in the countryside. Money is being spent - even if it's not their own. Being Thais, they're enjoying the rollercoaster ride to the max... and it's great to live among people who can get so much fun out of life regardless of whether they're going up or down.

Swarming Chinese tourists, close economic relations with their country, and big government-to-government deals will bring changes for sure, but to what extent, and how good or bad they will be is impossible to say.

I was replying to

I have no idea what you are on about in that reply. I was talking about the culture of sex in Thailand and the GI, but you didn't even mention GIs or sex.

If you want to have a debate about the Chinese influence in Thailand make it clear that is what you are referring to.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

google east asia origin.

No one knows anything for sure as it happened before writing :laugh:.

Research using genetic tracking found that everyone on the planet originated in a part of Africa. They also identified the path of migration, and I understand the east and south Asians all came through China. Correct me if I'm wrong

So much for white supremacy!

While there are loads of Chinese staying in the 5*s on Loi Kroh they only go to the night market. The rest of Loi Kroh is pretty much dead or dying. Some bars are lucky to get one customer. I even had an offer of a free night for food ( I had to turn her down though ), so they must be desperate.

Of course the Chinese never went to bar beers anyway and it is low season, but I don't envy them with so few customers.

Let me elaborate: I don't give a kee about what the Chinese eat -- I want some Chinese food choices for ME. 

The Chinese will eat their own cuisine if it is available. 

I think the owners of Central Festival had it in their giant, throbbing brains that Japanese would be the nationality swarming CM. Huge miscalculation. 

Thai food is generally the same as Chinese food without the hot spices 

Uh...no. 

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was replying to

I have no idea what you are on about in that reply. I was talking about the culture of sex in Thailand and the GI, but you didn't even mention GIs or sex.

If you want to have a debate about the Chinese influence in Thailand make it clear that is what you are referring to.

What specific points have I made that you disagree with?

I never implied that the American military presence in Thailand introduced commercial sex to the country.

Certainly the GIs were the ones who fueled the boom in the 1960s and '70s, but prostitution on a large scale was well established here long before that. The accounts of American missionaries and western residents of Bangkok in the 19th century often mention brothels run by Chinese.

In Chiang Mai, the Rev Daniel McGilvary in the 1880s refers to "soiled doves" living in the Chinese quarter of Charoen Rat. That was almost 300 years after the visit of the Englishman Ralph Fitch. His description of  "property, riches, and women, has a somewhat contemporary ring to it" according to Ian Bushell in a recent talk on local history.

Maybe Chiang Mai hasn't changed that much after all.

Archived