Chinese tourists are swarming Thailand

EricTh

27 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I think the owners of Central Festival had it in their giant, throbbing brains that Japanese would be the nationality swarming CM. Huge miscalculation. 

Tell the management to look at the official statistics. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_25_arrivals_by_nationality

Tourists from China have been at the top since year 2012.

Before that, it was those from Malaysia who came out at the top of the ranking. 

Maybe those are Japanese owned restaurants?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

What specific points have I made that you disagree with?

I never implied that the American military presence in Thailand introduced commercial sex to the country.

Certainly the GIs were the ones who fueled the boom in the 1960s and '70s, but prostitution on a large scale was well established here long before that. The accounts of American missionaries and western residents of Bangkok in the 19th century often mention brothels run by Chinese.

In Chiang Mai, the Rev Daniel McGilvary in the 1880s refers to "soiled doves" living in the Chinese quarter of Charoen Rat. That was almost 300 years after the visit of the Englishman Ralph Fitch. His description of  "property, riches, and women, has a somewhat contemporary ring to it" according to Ian Bushell in a recent talk on local history.

Maybe Chiang Mai hasn't changed that much after all.

I took it to mean that you DID imply the GIs introduced commercial sex with your comment They changed this country in fundamental - and often deplorable - ways .

However, not much going on in that regard in C M now. So low key it's almost invisible.

I'd like to have a word or two with the Central Group about their Festival mall. Crawling with Chinese and not a single Chinese restaurant in the place. More than a dozen Japanese one, mind you, but the Chicoms and the Japanese are not pals. I can't imagine a Chinese eating Japanese food. 
Why can't we get at least ONE Chinese restaurant? 

Go talk with them.

You will learn that their primary concern is to lease the space.

Just now, Bill97 said:

You will learn that their primary concern is to lease the space.

Looks like the owners of these restaurants are actually Japanese who can afford to lease.

I wonder whether they actually have enough customers.

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Why do you think the owners are Japanese other than your amusing immagination?

Do you see Europeans opening up Japanese restaurants when they hardly know how to cook authentic Japanese food nor know anything much about their culture and language?

I am sure there are Japanese characters inside Japanese restaurants to make it more authentic.

12 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Great, then I can speak both Mandarin AND Japanese, apparently....

My point is that with all the Chinese in Central Festival, you'd think someone would open at least ONE Chinese joint. 

I reckon then you actually have the tools to ask them.

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Let me elaborate: I don't give a kee about what the Chinese eat -- I want some Chinese food choices for ME. 

The Chinese will eat their own cuisine if it is available. 

I think the owners of Central Festival had it in their giant, throbbing brains that Japanese would be the nationality swarming CM. Huge miscalculation. 

Uh...no. 

No, they don't care. The "Japanese-style" restaurants in Festival (I've not seen a real Japanese restaurant in there) attract Thais, Koreans, Japanese, Malaysians, Singaporeans and Chinese; all in great numbers. That is what they hoped for and that is what happened.

Do you see Europeans opening up Japanese restaurants when they hardly know how to cook authentic Japanese food nor know anything much about their culture and language?

I am sure there are Japanese characters inside Japanese restaurants to make it more authentic.

Yes lots of Japanese characters...in the Japanese writing in the menus.

You are a marvel Eric!

44 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Yes lots of Japanese characters...in the Japanese writing in the menus.

You are a marvel Eric!

Do you really think that Japanese writing on menu is the only indication of authenticity? How about Japanese banners, environment, way the food is prepared, how authentic the food is. All these will show whether the owners are Japanese. The staff might be mostly Thai. This goes for any cuisine. 

How did this thread goes from being Chinese to Japanese? :laugh:

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Do you really think that Japanese writing on menu is the only indication of authenticity? How about Japanese banners, environment, way the food is prepared, how authentic the food is. All these will show whether the owners are Japanese. The staff might be mostly Thai. This goes for any cuisine. 

I eat at four Japanese restaurants and all have Japanese banners, environment and authentic Japanese food but they are all owned by Thais.  How can that be Eric?

I was replying to
It wasn't only the GIs coming in on R&R, hundreds of thousands were also stationed here over the years at bases like U-tapao; Takhli; Udorn Thani; Ubon Ratchathani and Sattahip to name just the bigger ones.
They changed this country in fundamental - and often deplorable - ways long before the anonymous hordes of Chinese tourists ever arrived.

I have no idea what you are on about in that reply. I was talking about the culture of sex in Thailand and the GI, but you didn't even mention GIs or sex.

If you want to have a debate about the Chinese influence in Thailand make it clear that is what you are referring to.

The Chinese have been writing about how accommodating the women of Siam are for at least the last 600 years. The Vietnam War debacle was just a continuation of the tradition.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

I eat at four Japanese restaurants and all have Japanese banners, environment and authentic Japanese food but they are all owned by Thais.  How can that be Eric?

I would be willing to bet that every one of the "Japanese" restaurants in Central Festival are Thai owned.

57 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

How do you know this fact?

Do these 'Thai owners' know how to read and write Japanese characters when they can hardly write English which they were taught in schools.

By the way, some Thais are of Japanese ancestry so I consider them Japanese and not really Thai.

19 hours ago, elektrified said:

I would be willing to bet that every one of the "Japanese" restaurants in Central Festival are Thai owned.

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

How do you know this fact?

Perhaps it's because in Thailand, ALL businesses must be majority-owned by Thais. 51% by law.

9 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

There's a sizeable corps of Japanese expats here. They are probably eating somewhere. But they are sticklers for authenticity.

About 3 years ago I met a nice Japanese lady who worked assisting Japanese expats and their children, and was in regular contact with the Japanese Consulate. At the time she told me there were about 6,000 (registered with the Consulate - maybe more) Japanese, living and working in Chiang Mai.

Yes, they are eating somewhere - but not at the the Thai "Japanese-style" restaurants.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph the point of the original post, Chinese tourists swarming in Thailand got off topic as usual. Who gives a fiddler's fart about the etnicity of the restaurants in Central Festival or elsewhere for that matter??? There are more Chinese tourists crawling about in Chiang Mai than there are ants at an outdoor picnic these days. This response is based in my observations in and around Tapae Gate, Maya Lifestyle Mall, Central Festival and those I see on motorscooters. Hopefully this will get the OP back on track, but I doubt it given the number of sheer numbers of posts off topic.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have not been to night safari for a few years the kids wanted to go again so we went around 15:30 on Sunday  as I remember the last time it was quite empty and walking around the lake was enjoyable ,this time though there where many many Chinese tourist  it was not unpleasant  but having large groups of people made less enjoyable for the kids . 

Archived