Foreigners who stole wooden elephant caught on Koh Phangan

snoop1130

Foreigners who stole wooden elephant caught on Koh Phangan

aa.png

Two foreign thieves - at least one believed to be an American - were arrested by police on Koh Phangan on Tuesday.

The men had earlier been caught on CCTV on Monday stealing a wooden elephant from out side the Happy Chang Noi restaurant on Koh Samui.

Details of the crime appeared on the Facebook page of Sasothon Somvung along with CCTV footage from several angles from outside the restaurant taken at night.

Two men - one black one white - can be seen casing the joint before trying to steal a big elephant. That appears too heavy so they make off with a smaller one.

The Facebook poster had appeal for help from friends, locals and police in solving the crime.

He found out that the men had rented a Toyota pick-up and one - 22 year old Andrew Corso - had left his US driving license at The Lodge in Bo Phut that is nearby the restaurant.

He resembled one of the thieves.

He claimed there were three involved though only two were seen on the CCTV.

Sasothon thanked everyone involved yesterday when police apprehended two of the men on Koh Pangan and recovered the wooden elephant.

There was no confirmation of the story from police.

Sasothon had earlier called for jail time for the foreign thieves.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-6-6

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only they had stopped to think first just how cheaply these wooden elephants can be bought in Thailand.  Much cheaper than trouble with the law, plus of course the embarrassment of their act being exposed on social media.

34 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Boozed up yanks who thought it would be funny to steal another's property.  Hopefully a few months in the Hilton will make them think.

You hope they end up in Thailands most notorious prison full of drug dealers, murderers and rapists for carrying out a boozed up prank which didn't hurt or have any significant impact on anyone ?....

How about applying some balance and being more realistic: A public apology and a fine.... 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Were they planning to take this home as carry on baggage?

These types of idiots if they had gotten away with it probably would have been dumb enough to post the crime on Facebook to their friends. I hope that they enjoy their extended holiday checked into The Crossbar Hotel.

Interesting that so much trouble has been taken to catch the thieves of a wooden elephant, value??  Try to get a policeman to apprehend a thief who has stolen goods from your home, even with photographic evidence.  It was probably the friends who found the culprits, not the police!

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

These Americans are making us British look much more respectful .

Keep up the good work lads.

I guess you missed the stories about the Brit with heroin and the 3 Brit lads picked up last week on criminal mischief. I think it's just that the Brits seem to fall (or jump) off of buildings before they get into criminal difficulties.

Holiday not going quite as planned for these two, maybe due to the lack of planning.

I remember when I would come to Thailand just for the bars and girls, never occurred to me to steal a wooden elephant. Time have changed.

3 hours ago, kwak250 said:

These Americans are making us British look much more respectful .

Keep up the good work lads.

Yes, at least one appears to be an American--so another low-life foreigner none-the-less. But the count today is thieves vs. rapists; is it not.

Archived