New iPad Pro's June 2017

Lammbock

Hi Guys,

Does anybody know when the new iPad Pro's come available to order in Thailand from the Apple-Thai website?

I was trying to buy one but it says currently unavailable.

Cheers

Lammbock

5937589a72527_ScreenShot2017-06-07at8_32_43AM.png.80912484364af5428414be234ec01cb2.png

Is the cellular a good option?

It depends on your situation. I've never had the need for a cellular iPad as always near wifi or can 'hot spot' my iPhone. I only use my iPad for media consumption and light work tasks like email or some quick word/excel documents.

The OP may well need full time internet access as he may do a lot of work on the 'pro' model.

I'm not an Apple fan but I can tell you that a cellular tablet is very handy. I use prepaid Internet and being able to top it up and not having to depend solely on WiFi only is great. I live in the boonies and WiFi is not available anywhere around here except on my air card at home. The tablet also makes a nice big screen GPS with an Internet connection. If you use Google Maps you need the Internet connection.

8 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I'm not an Apple fan but I can tell you that a cellular tablet is very handy. I use prepaid Internet and being able to top it up and not having to depend solely on WiFi only is great. I live in the boonies and WiFi is not available anywhere around here except on my air card at home. The tablet also makes a nice big screen GPS with an Internet connection. If you use Google Maps you need the Internet connection.

I don't understand.  What is 'big screen GPS'?

29 minutes ago, rijb said:

I don't understand.  What is 'big screen GPS'?

It prevents you from getting lost;

A GPS navigation device or GPS receiver, and when used for vehicle navigation commonly referred to simply as a GPS, is a device that is capable of receiving information from GPS satellites and then to accurately calculate its geographical location.

Tablets have a large  screen.

I am really happy to have the convenience of the cellular option on my iPad as well. I am on my third iPad now, and this is the first one that I opted for cellular, having hot spotted to my iPhone in the past when I had no WiFi coverage. I actually use it a lot now for things like being stuck in traffic or sitting in the airport or other places where I can't be bothered to go through the process of connecting to a new WiFi access point. Another bonus is that with the cellular version, you get a GPS chip as well. You do not get GPS with the WiFi only iPad.

I am really happy to have the convenience of the cellular option on my iPad as well. I am on my third iPad now, and this is the first one that I opted for cellular, having hot spotted to my iPhone in the past when I had no WiFi coverage. I actually use it a lot now for things like being stuck in traffic or sitting in the airport or other places where I can't be bothered to go through the process of connecting to a new WiFi access point. Another bonus is that with the cellular version, you get a GPS chip as well. You do not get GPS with the WiFi only iPad.

Every Apple device has GPS, even WiFi only. But it has to be connected by WiFi. Find my iPhone app sees my MacBook Pro, my iPod touch, my wife's iPad and both our iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, mogandave said:

If it has to be connected to wifi (or cell service) it does not have a GPS

Factually, you are correct, no device other than a GPS is a GPS. Connecting to three satellites at least and triangulating your position is how it works. However having a SIM card or Wifi is how cell phones determine location or any other connected device. How does goggle maps find where you are if not for Wifi or WiFi enabled through you cell service provider? It certainly is not a GPS receiver. 

Factually, you are correct, no device other than a GPS is a GPS. Connecting to three satellites at least and triangulating your position is how it works. However having a SIM card or Wifi is how cell phones determine location or any other connected device. How does goggle maps find where you are if not for Wifi or WiFi enabled through you cell service provider? It certainly is not a GPS receiver. 

Exactly. But in the event you have no service or WiFi it will not work. No a big deal in Bangkok, but in more remote areas, or areas where you do not want to pay for roaming it is a significant issue.

That said, it is my understanding there are phones and pads the have actual GPS chips.

With all iPads, the wifi+cellular model includes a GPS receiver chip.  The wifi only model does not. All recent iPhones have a GPS receiver chip as well. 

https://www.apple.com/ipad-9.7/specs/

To  geolocate, you definitely do not need to be connected to either wifi or a cellular connection using a GPS enabled iPad. Yes, you would need one of those to use Google or Apple Maps since they download the map information as you go. You can still use applications that pre-download the maps, such as maps.me or Garmin. I do it all the time with my iPad and iPhone, even on airplanes while in flight, far from any WiFi or cellular signal and even with airplane mode on. 

For iPads and iPhones with GPS receivers, Apple uses "assisted GPS". By assisted GPS,  Apple means that the GPS receiver in the iPad can use nearby cell towers to provide a faster position lock (what engineers call “time to first fix”). Instead of starting up cold and searching for satellites, which can take up to a few minutes in some cases, the iPad knows right where to look. With a hot start like this, your iPad can find its position in just seconds.

This is a handy feature if you’re trying to find your location on a map, especially if you’re in a big city where buildings can block GPS reception. But it’s important to note that the iPad does not require the cellular connection. In fact, you can purchase a 3G/LTE iPad, never sign up for service with Verizon or AT&T and still get very good GPS performance. If you want to test this, go to the Settings app and turn off Cellular Data, Bluetooth and WiFi. Even with all of its wireless radios off, the iPad will still show your position on ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot (again, assuming it’s a 3G/LTE model). And once you’re flying, your iPad will have an excellent view of the sky and should maintain good GPS accuracy.

Does the iPad have a real GPS in it?

The GPS chip is attached to to the cellular chip which is why only cellular ipad have proper GPS , wifi assisted GPS juts means that they guess your location based on the SSID you are connected to.

They are a bit pricey at nearly 50k aint they, would hate to drop one of those and need the screen repaired,

A friend of mine takes his cellular iPad with him wherever he goes. He enjoys bragging about the GPS capabilities and says it has never let him down. I doubt he would ever admit if he did have a problem. I never quizzed him about what GPS map he uses.

He uses a small bluetooth speaker. When our small group of farang locals are drinking beer and solving world problems, he is quick to find relevant information and we all can hear that information on the speaker. I have to say that I do admire his ability to find the relevant information very quickly.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:13 PM, Gary A said:

My iPad mini w/cellular AIS has been a life saver out motorcycle riding in the boonies.  I get cellular service in some of the craziest remote places.... Maps is handy too.  I don't own an iPhone.

That new iPad Pro looks lovely... expensive and I have to figure out if I have a 'need' for it.  The iPad mini or even an iPad would serve the purpose for mostly consumption, movies, as I have no use for the pen... But I may be giving up the MBP and getting a new iMac.

On 6/8/2017 at 9:13 PM, Gary A said:

You can use your phone as a hotspot and connect via that.  But it is handy to have the cellular built in.

1 hour ago, tominbkk said:

You can use your phone as a hotspot and connect via that.  But it is handy to have the cellular built in.

I use my tablet for a hotspot. When my air card Internet high speed is used up, it just shuts down, I then use the tablet for my connection. For some strange reason my Galaxy S5 has lost the hotspot, 4G and the tethering functions.

only 24,000?

I think unless you are a 'pro' user and need the smart keyboard and Apple pencil then it's not worth bothering with, although the pencil is fantastic for artists and for note taking in lectures etc. I do think it will be much more useful with IOS 11 with the new file system and dock features.

I have the 2017 'budget' iPad, which is fantastic. I can still do many work documents and multi-tasking along with what I really got it for (media consumption). Again with the IOS 11 update this iPad should be even more useful with the new file system and dock features.

1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

Give me a MacBook Pro over an iPad pro or any other "device" any day! 

I would have to agree with you.  I actually have a 2013 MB Air that is still going perfectly strong.....I get a good 6-7 hours out of it as long as I'm not playing a bunch of media or hitting Logic Pro too hard.  I have a couple iPads, but for sure my next device will be a MBP.  Machines that are a pleasure to use and are made to last!

I would have to agree with you.  I actually have a 2013 MB Air that is still going perfectly strong.....I get a good 6-7 hours out of it as long as I'm not playing a bunch of media or hitting Logic Pro too hard.  I have a couple iPads, but for sure my next device will be a MBP.  Machines that are a pleasure to use and are made to last!

Yes, I've still got my 2011 MB Pro which now has an SSD. Still blows away my newer company windows laptops for my work stuff.

You can't beat iPads for media consumption though, especially when lying in bed on an oil platform watching Netflix! Or if you're a regular traveller. Very convenient bits of kit.

18 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Yes, I've still got my 2011 MB Pro which now has an SSD. Still blows away my newer company windows laptops for my work stuff.

You can't beat iPads for media consumption though, especially when lying in bed on an oil platform watching Netflix! Or if you're a regular traveller. Very convenient bits of kit.

Yep I would have to agree with that.  Plus games, don't forget games!  :)

Archived